What Is Avg. Team Bring Home A Week For FedExcc?

BigJoe0904

Seasoned Expediter
I have been reading up for about 6 months now. My brother and i are extremely interested in joining the ranks of the fine individuals on this forum. Most likely our truck will be an m2 freightliner 22' box. We are leaning towards FedExCC. My question is:

Before FSC, truck payment, insurance, and all other expenses that go along. What do you think we can make on an avg. week?

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
A real good question there Joe. Unanswerable. But good. First off, if you are worrying about a week, i'd say your goals seem to be a bit "short term". Better do a business plan for 8 - 12 months out based on your Carrier of choice recent average for your equipment and staffing levels. After you crunch those numbers, you may choose just to keep on reading, steada participating. Jes wonder'in here - how'd ya git fedex stuck in your craw?

BigJoe0904

Seasoned Expediter
My father in-law is with FedExCC. and he hasn't had any complaints. i am not trying to come up with a business plan i just wanted to know if maybe a couple of fedex teams owner/ops colud avg. out some numbers for me and let me know what they have done avg. weekly. thanx for the reply x06col

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
BigJoe: I believe a recruiter for FedEx can provide the info you seek, just give them a call.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
The above are correct one week will tell you nothing everything we do is figured on a month of income and then a quarter and then yearly. The FedEx recruiter will get you the best reply.

I am sure none of us consider ourselves "average" on here!! There are just too many variables on income from truck to truck and an overall average will get better figures to shoot for.

2czykats

Seasoned Expediter
BigJoe: I believe a recruiter for FedEx can provide the info you seek, just give them a call.

When I was in the ever changing pay world of expediting I always got a better feelof what I was going to make on average from fellow drivers at truck stops or where ever.

The least reliable and honest feedback for average pay was from a recruiter. I worked for 3 different expeditors with up to 3 vans at one time and for 2 years and never came close to average pay quote my recruiters told me.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Seems yer daddy in law would be a good place to start then. If he is going to be your mentor in this business and you follow his MO, and he runs single, jes add bout 25% to what he does and you should be real close. Problem is, then you hafta divide it by two.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
FedEx Custom Critical has a brochure that shows an average of each truck size income for the past two years. The brochure is income for both solo and team.

When we decided to go with FedEx Custom Critical we used that as our base and our goal has always been to exceed the average income. Not a hard thing to do.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
You may want to think it over. Fed Ex announced this afternoon that they expect Freight & Revenue to be down for 2009.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I think everyone in the trucking world is predicting a slow 2009. Need to have your ducks in a row before jumping in.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You may want to think it over. Fed Ex announced this afternoon that they expect Freight & Revenue to be down for 2009.

Duh, now there is news.

Is Panther down or up? Bolt? Try Hours? yadda yadda yadda.

Tuff times in all biz, ask Detroit.
Hey housing might be a good ....er never mind.
Oh open a little diner, people always need to eat, they will spend their mone....er drop that
oh hades, just crawl in the closet with a high ranking officer and do nuthin...yeppper.

Nothing in this world is ever guaranteed. Its a very tough time in shipping.
But yet, many of us remain....if more of you would follow yer own advice, and NOT be in expediting now, more freight would be available for those of us, like me, who dont know any better.

Have a plan, have a lot of CASH reserves, get a lawyer, have reserves, hire an accountant,
did i mention CASH reserves, oh one more thing, have CASH reserves.

Oh by the way, FSC is income not an expense.

Did I mention have alot of CASH reserves.

Some starting now will make it, some wont, same old same old.

Good luck.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Think I would go to the father in law as well. I would be leary of "averages" from last year and the year before that.
Reading some of the current posts may indicate something a little different than those averages.
In case you missed it.....read the post above mine. "Have plenty of cash reserves" if purchasing a truck.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I have been reading up for about 6 months now. My brother and i are extremely interested in joining the ranks of the fine individuals on this forum. Most likely our truck will be an m2 freightliner 22' box. We are leaning towards FedExCC. My question is:

Before FSC, truck payment, insurance, and all other expenses that go along. What do you think we can make on an avg. week?

I can give you what our one truck did last year with FedEx Custom Critical. It's a D unit dry box with no liftgate. You can also call into Claude Lawson at FedEx to get the stats on the truck if you think I'm not telling you the truth. Truck D6189 did over $170,00.00 gross in 2007 with FedEx, with the truck being in service over 70%. Our trucks run a little different than most too. They don't run 3 weeks and then a week off either. They are home most of the time every other weekend if they can help it. Good Luck on your new gig if you go that way. I think you may want to drive for an owner 1st, that way you can see if you like it before you buy a truck and jump into something you may not like.

Look at it like this, if you gross $3000.00 per week that is $156,000.00 a year. But, you have to take out things like truck payments, fuel and so on.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
"If you gross $3000.00 per week that is $156,000.00 per year" That is 52 weeks apparently with no time off or you need to make a lot more then $3000.00 per week to Gross $156,000.00 per year. If your going to have any time off or any down time.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
"If you gross $3000.00 per week that is $156,000.00 per year" That is 52 weeks apparently with no time off or you need to make a lot more then $3000.00 per week to Gross $156,000.00 per year. If your going to have any time off or any down time.

That is an avg of $3000.00 per week. If you run 13 days out and 72 hrs off. It works out to being home every other weekend.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Since we are at the company being discussed and have seen the averages earned for the last two years go with the average that FedEx Custom Critical puts out in their brochure. I though would use those figures for a base line.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Averages are very difficult to compare.Each and every person on here, no matter where they are leased,have a different game plan to how they do business.Some never turn a load down,others wait for that special load,and have much more time sitting.As was stated,if you talk with a recruiter,you may not get the real answer.There are straight trucks doing over $200000 a year and there are some tractors that only do $175000.It is very difficult to give you an answer to your question

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Averages thought give you the middle of the road earners for each catagory except White Glove. The averages in the brochures are a great starting point to at least get a good clue of what you can do. That is why the question asked is so hard to reply to you could have identical trucks sitting next to each other with husband wife teams all Express Trucks and I would imagine have the possibility of a $20,000 difference to a $50,000 difference in incomes.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Whatever revenue numbers you use to guage your revenue potential upon entering the industry, be careful to note that past numbers are not recent numbers. The recent, recession-affected numbers are more relevant at present. People researching the expedit opportunity should be very, very carful about any revenue assumptions they make.

It might be better to ask not how much money a team makes but how much less the team made in the last three months compared to the same three months a year ago.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Whatever revenue numbers you use to guage your revenue potential upon entering the industry, be careful to note that past numbers are not recent numbers. The recent, recession-affected numbers are more relevant at present. People researching the expedit opportunity should be very, very carful about any revenue assumptions they make.

It might be better to ask not how much money a team makes but how much less the team made in the last three months compared to the same three months a year ago.

Very good point Phil. I would hope people would drive for someone 1st before they jump into the unknown. All the time people come to me and ask me if they bought a truck can they make good money. I tell them all the time, go drive for an owner 1st to see if it's something they even like.