what is an e unit/

starbryte

Expert Expediter
I run an e250 cargo van?I am looking for work and it seems to me that the type of work that will make money for me is emergency deliverys. I run now for an expedited company ; but loads arew few and far between. What is the deal with 10,000 gvw? Why is that weight significant compared to say 12,000 gvw. I see this used often and do not understand what happens when you get to 10,001lbs! Thank you starbryte

abcwine

Expert Expediter
Starbryte,
Not sure why loads are few and far between, but the answer to the 10,000 gvw question is logs. If your vehicle is rated over 10,000 gvw, dot will be looking for a log book even if you are in an E250 Ford van.

Gotta love dot,

ABC

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Starbryte;
An "E" unit is a tractor trailer combination. E units are very flexible because they can transport A, B, C, D and E freight.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no difference between emergency deliveries and expedite freight. Perhaps "Emergency" delivery companies may deal specifically with medical supplies where expedite is more automotive related. Both types of freight are very time sensitive and generally delivered "straight through".

I hope this clarifies your questions to some degree.

Thanks, HotFr8Recruiter
:D