What is a glad hand ?

guido4475

Not a Member
Heard the term many times but haven't the faintest clue of what it is. Or if it's something that causes a lot of problems . maybee I don't want to know.

And here I thought it was something you have to sit on to keep them from waving in the air....my bad!!:eek:

Monty

Expert Expediter
I remember, about 100 years ago, when I was applying for a new job with one of the meat haulers in Omaha the fella interviewing me was toying with a rubber, for the glad hand. When I asked what he was doing with a glad hand rubber, he responded, "I was going to ask you if you knew what it was, guess you already answerd that one."

He also asked me what the toll was on the GWB, the correct answer showed I had actually been to NYC before! :D

moose

Veteran Expediter
. Bob also checks the tires when we are sitting and can inflate them if needed. Very handy.
Linda, i found out the hard way that this practice wont work with the supper single tires,
the SS tires needs to be inflated to 120 Psi.
and the truck only provide 125 before the valve kick in, and drop the system to about 110.
by using the tool, i can only get the SS tires to hold about 110 - 115 at best.
i now carry the hoses as an emergency tool.
also at many fuel islands, the PSI is not high enough, and the air is full with vapors,that becomes a problem in winter time as those vapors iced inside the tire, or can open the tire valve.
i bought a 50 foot hose some years ago. cut it for the tractor use, and an extension that can reach the back tires on the trailer.
i normally pay speedco to air up the tires, as their machine have 150 psi. and a build in water separator.
i check my air Gage against the Speedco machine also.

i now ordered the new trailer with Supper single tires,
and a self inflated system.
i do not think it will work well !
i have very little trust that the air system can hold 125 Psi in the back of the trailer, some 60 foot behind the air pump.
more to come.

Attachments

• 102_5355.jpg
    102_5355.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 13

Monty

Expert Expediter
Sprinters take a max of 70psi and can be obtained at any fuel stop! :eek: :D

I'm so pleased I got away from the "big rigs" .... those SS tires seem to come with a lot of problems, most of all the need to be repaired alongside the roadway, with with duals it was possible to limp to an exit for repairs.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
In 35 years,Ive never had a problem with the glad hands,other than replacing the little rubbers.Some time you can fix the old ones with your key.As far as dirt getting in,Ive never had that happen,although,most of the time mine are hung in the holder,unless just going a short distance.