What is a fair prep. fee ?

Azcot

Seasoned Expediter
I have just spoken with my accountant (of 10yrs) we both have 1099's for the last 2mths of the year (first time). He wants $900 to do our returns. Is this fair ? Seems high. We are drivers for an O/O so no truck or fuel exps.
Thanks.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Get someone else, that's way to high. It's easy to do it yourself with the right software. Would be something to consider since you do the bookkeeping.

Azcot

Seasoned Expediter
Good idea. I will look into doing it ourselves and see how complicated it is. Thanks.

Wild Child

Seasoned Expediter
Get someone else, that's way to high. It's easy to do it yourself with the right software. Would be something to consider since you do the bookkeeping.

You should run from this dude! That is an outrageous fee. I am a fleet owner with 9 trucks leased to a carrier and of course all the fuel receipts, tolls, depreciation schedules, etc. I use a CPA to do my corporate and personal returns that are 41 pages of schedules and he only charges me $475 for everything. The key here is to shop around and do not be afraid to quiz a CPA for their prices. Good Luck.

Azcot

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Crapshooter for this information we appreciate it. Looks like our gut feelings about this amount were correct. We will defianetly look for a new accountant. :)

Brisco

Expert Expediter
No it does not, we do all the bookkeeping ourselves.

If you do all the Bookkeeping yourself....and are confident that you'd pass an Audit (just in case) then just run to an H&R Block or Jackson Hewitt and have them file it for you using your figures.

I used JH the first 2-3 years I was out there OTR for my filings.......Think the highest I paid was like $129 or something........

Tell this guy to shove it...................

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This guy must be clear cutting the Amozon jungle for just the paper. My CPA charge by the form and I pay less than 150.00 to file depending on how much work he dose, I have my income and expenses on a spread sheet and I bring my reciepts just in case and it takes abbout an hour or so all in and electronic filed with hard coppies in hand the end.

If you have a complex filing or he/ she has to sort through all your recipts because you dont have it ready with your income and expenses listed with reciepts on hand and you make no effort to put it toghther before hand he is right to charge for time. Remember most CPAs are 100 to 150 bucks per hour. Always have it as ready as posiable so all he has to do is punch the numbers and focus on what deductions you are able to get. Also dont do the last minnite file it last week thing.
If you are based in New York State P.M me and Ill put you in touch with my CPA he is fair and dose a good job.

Bob Wolf

Last edited:

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I'm surprised Frank Katz hasn't added to this. I would be cautious about doing doing it yourself. People like Frank go to Tax conferences several times a year and are up to date with the latest changes and strategies. So I would use a trucking tax preparer.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We paid $220 this year for 2011 taxes. We fill a joint 1040 and this price included my schedule C stuff, some capital gains stuff and our property tax. Money well spent! That is the money paid to the tax accountant, not the money paid to the IRS.

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We paid $220 this year for 2011 taxes. We fill a joint 1040 and this price included my schedule C stuff, some capital gains stuff and our property tax. Money well spent! That is the money paid to the tax accountant, not the money paid to the IRS.

Morning Moot and all others,

Its true that the $900.00 is quite alot for just your tax preparation

Here are my Charges,

The following forms are included with the preparation
If you would like me to do your Bookkeeping which is $85.00 Per Month or $1,020.00 per year for Individuals and Single membe LLC's It would include Sch C, and SE for Owner Operators, and states
Total is $300.00 less $50.00 for Sch C and SE.
Total net Price for both Federal and State $ $250.00 (Except the following states NY, PA, CA. IL.)
"""Earned Income Credit for Childern, dependents, Education Credits, Retirement, Schedule A, Itemized Deductions, Stocks, Bonds, Rental Income, home office, Etc are not included in the total fees.

Company Drivers $250.00 minius Form 2106, for per Deim, and other expenses not reimbursed for. , and Sch A Itemized Deductions, due to Per Deim carries over to this form, Net Fee $200.00
Again *** Items listed above also are not included.

Bookeeping for Partnerships $ 130.00 per month or $1,560.00 per Year
Individual Partnership and LLC Partnership Returns Form 1065- $300.00 to
$ 400.00 Tax Preparation.
Individual Returns only include Forms K-1 from partnership. all other need to complete your return will charged per form.
"S" or Full "C" Corporation $175.00 per month or $2100.00.00 per year and the CorporationTax return()Due March 15th. it includes your Basic Individual and State returns , 1040, A, Dependents. EIC (If any)
*** Again Items listed above also are not included.

THIS YEAR WE HAVE THE FOLLOWING BOOKKEEPING SPECIALS THAT WILL BE AVAILABLE FROM JULY 1, 2012 THROUGH AUGUST 31, 2012 FOR THE ITEMS LISTED BELOW:

Individuals/Owners and Company Drivers:

Regularly $1,020.00 EXPO special: $ 900.00

Partnerships
Regularly $1,560.00 EXPO Special $ 1,400.00

Corporations
Regularly $2100.00 EXPO Special $ 1,900.00

All cleint engagement contracts for these services must be signed and returned along with full payment which is totaly deductible.

We Accept
Com-data:, ( I have Checks in office and I will give you the Number)
Cash, Personal/Company Check, Visa, Master Card, Discover, and Money Orders.
If you are Interested Please contact me by Calling or E-mailing as listed below

Frank’s Tax and Business Service
120 York Rd
Kings Mountain, NC 28086-3151
(704) 739-4039 Fax: (704) 739-3934
e-mail: [email protected]
Web Site: File Your Return Online
Franklin Katz, ATP, PA, PB,

Providing Professional Accounting, Bookkeeping, Payroll and Income Tax Preparation Services

Circular 230 Disclaimer – Any tax advice in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding related

penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (2) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or tax
related matters addressed herein.

Azcot

Seasoned Expediter
This guy must be clear cutting the Amozon jungle for just the paper. My CPA charge by the form and I pay less than 150.00 to file depending on how much work he dose, I have my income and expenses on a spread sheet and I bring my reciepts just in case and it takes abbout an hour or so all in and electronic filed with hard coppies in hand the end.

If you have a complex filing or he/ she has to sort through all your recipts because you dont have it ready with your income and expenses listed with reciepts on hand and you make no effort to put it toghther before hand he is right to charge for time. Remember most CPAs are 100 to 150 bucks per hour. Always have it as ready as posiable so all he has to do is punch the numbers and focus on what deductions you are able to get. Also dont do the last minnite file it last week thing.
If you are based in New York State P.M me and Ill put you in touch with my CPA he is fair and dose a good job.

Bob Wolf

Thanks for the offer however we live in Florida.

All my receipts are in spreadsheets, itemized and monthly so there is no extra work there. All income from every load is also in a spreedsheet. I cannot imagine any extra work at this stage so will definately look for a new accountant.

Azcot

Seasoned Expediter

This sounds like what we have...$220 is a great price.

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi all,

The Tax Preparation fees are for any location were you reside, it is not just for one area of the country, I do truck taxes from Califorina, Oregon,Washington State to Maine to Florida, it does not make any difference were you are located.
I have a secure web site where all information can be sent to me and I inturn can send you all that you would have to sign, copies of tax returns, and any other infomation that you request from me. that is also included in the preparation and bookeeping fees.

based on what has been written in the prior post, it has been as low as $220.00
But if you are a Husband & wife team, 2- Schedule C's must be made out.
1 for the Husband or Primary Driver of the Truck the 1099 is Issued to and 1 for the wife for the Per Deim and any truck expenses she incurs sparately. It will not show any Income for her but losses only. That is why it is a Min of $250.00. It Cannot be filed as 1 Sch C required by IRS Law. This price for the fees is based on you supplying breakdown of items being able to deduct.
There are items that you might consider deductible in one line, but are actually deducted on another line, which it must be broken down to, it will show on the Overflows.

I know what H & R and J H pricing is between $300.00 and $500.00 because they charge you differenet fees for different items that they put in the Fees. this is for 1 Schedule C no itemized or other forms. except the 1040, due to being a Business Return

Any othre questions please do not hesitate to ask

Last edited:

rotcaal

Active Expediter
I have just spoken with my accountant (of 10yrs) we both have 1099's for the last 2mths of the year (first time). He wants $900 to do our returns. Is this fair ? Seems high. We are drivers for an O/O so no truck or fuel exps.
Thanks.

i would just go to h&r block. you'll pay less than half that.

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If you are a Single o/o and have only 1 Sch C, then between 200, and $300 is about average,
If yiou are a Husban & wife team, 2 sch c' must be made out with the total 1099 Misc income split down the middle and all expenes also become split evenly,
this law hhas been on under IRS laws since 2006 otherwise you would have to make out a partnership return for each person. this is due to the IRS wanting to collect Medicare and
social Seurity taxes.