What does everyone think about Idle Aire?

lisalewis

Seasoned Expediter
What does everyone think about Idle Aire? I'll be honest, we love it! I feel that it saves us a little fuel and helps our environment. But when we are at the truck stops with Idle Aire we hear nothing but complaints.

Does anyone else dislike it? If so, why?

JimmyB

Seasoned Expediter
I've never used it.... Yet... but looking at their website it looks like a nice setup.... I would be interested in hearing those complaints as to why others do not like it....

Prarysun

Seasoned Expediter
Hello, I have used Idle Aire and liked it but add up 24 hrs of Idle Aire and you can get a motel and shower and stretch out in many places for about the same cost. That is why I do not use it any longer.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
No first hand experience, but I have read several places the biggest complaint was that if you used the heat/air that it smelled like cigarette smoke.
All of our trucks have generators so no info from our drivers.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
As I just had an APU installed on Friday, I was able to throw away the IdleAir window adapter I had been toting in the truck. I have used the system about 6 times over the past year.

My biggest hctib about IdleAir is the number of parking spaces that are lost when the system is put in a parking lot. Also, it is expensive, you pay for things that aren't needed/wanted (kinda like having to pay for 120 cable tv channels when you only watch 15).

My $.02 US (equals about $1.85 CAN)

Rex

bamamule

Seasoned Expediter
we use it love it but price high but about the same as running truck or getting a roach infested hotel room with crack heads running around all night and they pay thier employes good beats hearing engine running needs to have more places were idle laws are in place:+

ABEJR2004

Expert Expediter
I love the system. Heat/Air, Internet, Cable, Phone. Some at extra cost of course. I have a APU that I do not like to run if I do not have to. If it's a weekend I will monitor my time because it will add up, So I will wait till bed time to hook up and keep it under 8hrs. (Split the weekend with the APU)...It needs a break too.

AbeJr
(Still slightly a Newbie)
FedExCC
#D6425
OOIDA MEMBER

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
We used Idle Aire for 6 months or so it was very convient but expensive even with the old discount,purchased an APU and like that better.Idle Aire can't control where trucks park and our complaint was that often those around didn't hookup and ran their engines so it wasn't quiter.Does save fuel but with limited truck parking everywhere an APU gives us more options.APU's are expensive in the start up also, so it's more a matter of choice however the APU is there everywhere we go and IA is in limited supply most everywhere.:)

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
My only complaint is that is goes into your pasenger window - Most truck have a thick curitan to seperate the sleeper to keep the light out but it also keeps the cool/heated air out from IA. I can't sleep with those big truck stop lights shining in.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Great if the price was affordable. I will get a hotel room in the deep heat of Laredo, otherwise I will use my Pro-Heat if it will work.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If a truck stop is the best place for you to park, and if you smoke, and if you do not have a generator or shore power, and if your company pays the fee, the product may be OK. That's who Idle Aire is marketing to...large fleets with big-rig trucks and drivers who wait at truck stops to recharge their log book and wait for freight.

I've noticed that an increasing number of line-haul companies pitch company-paid Idle Aire as a driver benefit. I would imagine that can make a positive difference in a company's recruiting and retention efforts.

For expediters whose trucks are increasingly equipped with their own idle reduction devices, internet access and home-theater-like entertainment systems, Idle Aire is a bit redundant and anchors you to a truck stop.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've never used it, but a friend told me that the window insert is hard on the top of the window frame where it seats when you roll it up.

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
love it ..cost cutter have a co driver..needs to sleep comfortably.. we idle anyway save a little on fuel makes so much sense

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
>will this work for cargo vans also?
We have Sprinter vans, yes they can fit adaptor to your van.
BUT
only works good if there is no wall between cargo and drivers area.
only way we see it is going to work is to "take" out the window in the wall.