what company is good to work for in expediting services in a straight truck?

hillbillydan

Active Expediter
Could someone please inform me on which company in expediting is good to work for. Panther, FedEx, Tri-State, Try Hours, etc. I know some information on Express 1 with there home time situation and them liking you to stay on the road with hardly no home time. Plus, Having what is called the HONEYMOON for the first two months. Please feel free to mention rather it is a good company or a bad company to work for. My husband and I are a H/W team for a straight truck.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No expedite company i know of says anything about hometime including e1. You want to go home you go out of service and go home. Some fleet owners might have a preference but not the companies. Also depending on where you live could make a difference on your deadhead distance home.

Rumor has it some companies give you a honeymoon period it is mostly that a rumor. My first few weeks at e1 were not good.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

Last edited:

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Panther says you stay out 14 days before going home so some do try to say when you are allowed to take off. I don't remember if FedEx cc was the same or not.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No expedite company i know of says anything about hometime including e1.
Panther offers hometime except they spell it different. Panther uses a "y" in place of the "i" in "time". I think it must be some kind of regystered trademark or somethyng. Yf they wanted to add a lyttle extra flavor and aroma ynsertyng an "h" yn tyme would spyce thyngs up!

♪♫♫♪I want to go home♪♫♫♪♪♪♪parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme♪♫♫♪♪♪♪♫♪♫♪♪♪♫♫

truckerjenn

Rookie Expediter
E1 does not tell you how long you have to stay put. Fleet owners recommend That u stay out 3 -4 weeks before u go home

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
Just remember Home Time = No Pay. We stay out for usually 10 - 12 weeks, then maybe home for 1. That's us.

I don't think FedEx has a "hard-set" time you must stay out, but rather they want you to be available for a certain % of time to haul freight. I'm not sure of the actual % (thinking it's 75%, which would equate to about 3 weeks out, 1 off.)

Living in Ohio, we do make it by the house on occasion, maybe over a weekend or even for a few hours, so it doesn't really seem like 12 weeks sometimes.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Panther offers hometime except they spell it different. Panther uses a "y" in place of the "i" in "time". I think it must be some kind of regystered trademark or somethyng. Yf they wanted to add a lyttle extra flavor and aroma ynsertyng an "h" yn tyme would spyce thyngs up!

Maybe after my 2nd cup of coffee this will make more sence. Left me scratching my head :confused:

paullud

Veteran Expediter

Is it because wanting home time is selfish and there is no "I" in TEAM.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Olko

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Howdy

Been a long time since we had to deal with the dreaded dispatchers and home-time. We would stay out 2 to 4 months at a time (Maybe a layover at the house if close by, but still in service) No way of ticking us off more than the call 2 days after getting home and telling us we just have to take a load because they didn't have anyone in South Texas available.

We ran into this when we drove for Dick Simon, out for months but only allowed 3 days off, or lose your truck or job. Oh and with Simon (as well as other companies back then) if you to the house at 2330 on Monday, they would have a load ready for 0030 on Wednesday. That was when we decided to get into expediting

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I worked for one of the above mentioned and now for landstar common and take a look

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Ill tell ya most expediters want you to stay out two to three weeks then go home for a weekend and go right back out....it all depends on your truck, its sleeper, bed and quality of life. If its a coffin sleeper living on the road can be a drag, no room, no storage, everythings under foot all the time, and in the winter thats gonne get old fast. Ive been in Michigan over the weekend when the snow was 2 feet deep, your in the truck, small sleeper it gets tight quick....

Now if your lucky enough to have a condo, stand up sleeper with more comfort then staying out is not the problem, its how long you wanna stay, I used three weeks as my standard, some weeks I went home in a week, if there no freight, its a slow time or your just near your home its cheaper.

Do you need lots of room, can you manage laying or sitting down all the time if your in a small sleeper truck, do you want a fridge, microwave, TV where does all that fit in a small sleeper truck.

Ill not go back out in a coffin style truck its just too confined, Im a big guy and again no room to stretch, stand, or move after you load the truck with the things you need.

As to companys they all have there finer points, talk to them all, get it in writing, read the smallest print and tell them exactly what you expect, and listen to what they expect, ask question, dont wait till your 1000 miles in the middle of nowhere to hear, well blah blah blah...Ive worked for a couple different companys and learned allot, this place has lots of opinions and guys that have been there done that, hope it all works out for you.

guido4475

Not a Member
What company is good to work for? There are so many variables. Bottom line, would be the one that YOU feel the most comfortable with, the most peaceful and comfortable talking to and dealing with. Give your self, as well as the company, at least 3 months to learn about each other.Every driver is different in the way they do their job, as well as the company is as well. Be patient.Maybe take notes? Talk to other drivers from that company while doing so? There is no perfect company, just the one that fits you to you're liking...When you get frustrated, take a breather..don't take you're frustrations out on you're co-driver, or the hand that feeds you, the dispatcher. It's a tough business, especially when sitting waiting for a load. Remember, they want to make money as bad as you do, so trust in them in this.There are alot of good companies as well as bad ones...you may go through a few before you have found you're fit. I wish the best of luck and fortune to the both of you.

Olko

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Howdy

Thinking back on things, we always seemed more comfortable on the road. We really treated and thought of Expediting as our Lifestyle, and home-time was what we had to do once in awhile to take care of personal thingys.

In our case we didn't have our own home to come back to, or kids, or any other real ties. Many times we took our "Home-Time" by staying in a motel and visiting my family in New England.

There is no one size fits all answer to "What is the Best Company For _____"

Kevin

Xpeditedgmc

Rookie Expediter
I'm owner of straight truck and I'm trying to get loads and find a good dispatcher to get me loads..if you guys know please help! Thank you guys

wwgx90

Rookie Expediter
When I was looking for a company to sign on with, I made a spread sheet listing items that were important to me. I added and removed items as the importance of each might change. This info was gathered from web sites, talking with the companies, talking with drivers, etc. You might be surprised at the differences each company might offer. Yes it takes some research and time, but in the long run you might find that the time was well spent. There is a link on this site, I believe it is titled "Switching Up" where you can use a lot of the info to apply it to your search. Good luck.