What carriers are taking on vans?

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
East Michigan has died for CV's and sprinters the last while...he's overseeing ie: cracking the whip on dispatch...*LOL* pulling loads out of their respective backsides...:D
One thing about John..he always knows where his trucks are and if they are moving..and if they aren't, he wants to know why....he's relentless...;)

That's what put's him above others in this game.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
This I just dont understand..Carriers that require a person to carry Primary insurance..(everything in one bundle), as if you hold youre own authority, but pay you leased owner-operator rates...Makes no sense..Prestige used to be that way,and a few others.I have a freind who is leased on with 2 carriers at the same time, and, at times, does keep more busy than me, but is not saying what his rates are,telling me they are cheap freight :censoredsign: rates, with alot of chasing to get those loads..one reason this industry is getting so screwed up.

Why should he tell your what his rates are?? It's his business. How many carriers are telling people what their rates are?? If your the carrier you know what you need to run for to be profitable, if you do what everyone else does then all will go broke at the same time.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I don't mind paying primary insurance as it is less than what I would pay to be leased on at a regular carrier. I used to pay 150 a month in Quallcomm fees and another 100 a month for workmans comp insurance; that is 250 dollars a month to be leased on with one carrier. Now I only pay 178 dollars a month for my own authority! I only have a 100 dollar decuctible for Collision, 1 free windshield a year, and nationwide roadside assistance and towing. I also have the ability to lease on with as many carriers as I want to list on my policy, which ensures my ability to stay busy, and I have access to a few boards where I can book my own freight in between running loads for the two companies I am partnering with at the moment.

I can also seek out my own "regular customers" and run the loads through my own authority without having a larger company take a huge portion of the profits from the loads. I can "in time" save 10k abnd get my broker authority so I can seek out customers and broker loads to other small carriers. Also, the loads I run aren't that cheap at all compared to what most carriers are paying. One company pays me 88 cpm flat and the other pays me 90 cpm flat and a dollar a mile for hazmat loads and to go into Canada. Some of the loads I can book for myself are almost 2 dollars a mile on the smaller ones and between a dollar to a dollar fifty a mile for the mid-longer range runs.

Having your own authority in a cargo van just gives you more versatilty in doing business. Like I said, it is also cheaper than being leased onto another carrier. I can book LTL loads to get me back into desirable areas, or to get me back home. This means that I will rarely have to travel empty. There are a lot of benefits to sheading the single carrier way of thinking! That's just my take on things.

Last edited by a moderator:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
That brings up another point, what insurance companies do u all reccommend for us owner operators out here. Im with progressive and Im going to change asap, they have gotten to costly IMHO.:D

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Progressive is the cheapest i've found for your own authority, as long as you go through Commercial Insurance Solutions. Most other places i've talked to want between 250 to 500 a month for 1 million liability and 100k cargo insurance.

Also, I messed up on what it costs to be leased on to a regular carrier. It was 150 a month for Quallcomm fees, 100 a month for personal injury insurance, and another 100 a month for bobtail insurance with a high 1000k deductible for collission. Now I pay 178 dollars a month for my own authority, whichs is 152 dollars cheaper than being leased on to one carrier. If I were to add in another 100 dollars for personal injury insurance, i'd still be paying 78 dollars a month less for my own authority than I would be if I were leased on to and dependant upon one carrier for all of my work.

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
Maybe...Bit it still does not make him the highest paying out there...as he trumpeted...just another snake oil sales person trying to peddle what he thinks is something new to the not so aware.....taking advantage of the "dumb, unskilled" van drivers..
Gotta remember his background is sales...:rolleyes:

Sorry, that's not my style. Anyways, I am going to check into what Michelle said on the phone. This is the new office and it does not sound correct. It is indepent of us, but not a excuse.

I have cargo vans that I run personally out of my office, and there are no issues at all.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sorry, that's not my style. Anyways, I am going to check into what Michelle said on the phone. This is the new office and it does not sound correct. It is indepent of us, but not a excuse.

I have cargo vans that I run personally out of my office, and there are no issues at all.

I am really glad to hear that John..seriously..I hope I am wrong...We really need another owner to set an example and make the big boys pay attention...

guido4475

Not a Member
I got a call from Michelle at JD Clark today. She said they are recruiting vans.

Must have your own authority. Must carry $1 mil. liability and $100k cargo. Pay is $0.85 per loaded mile and $0.35 per DH mile after the first 50 miles.

JD Clark must be named additional insured on your policy.

I let her know the only way I would roll that cheap is on a backhaul with a loose deadline. She said they are bidding those rates to remain competitive. I told her there is a big difference between competing and merely undercutting.

I had a good chuckle and thanked her for her time.

fired at you from my Droideka

What a joke.They want you to lease on to them, as a o/o, with lease o/o rates, but pay extra for primary insurance and have youre own authority? There ya go!!

guido4475

Not a Member
Why should he tell your what his rates are?? It's his business. How many carriers are telling people what their rates are?? If your the carrier you know what you need to run for to be profitable, if you do what everyone else does then all will go broke at the same time.

Who said he had to tell me what his rates are??? I didnt, but simply said he hasnt told me what they are lately, or something like that..But you know as well as I do, that when one gets good rates, everyone knows, and when the rates suck, it is not brought up that often, unless you are a miserable whiner..

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Who said he had to tell me what his rates are??? I didnt, but simply said he hasnt told me what they are lately, or something like that..But you know as well as I do, that when one gets good rates, everyone knows, and when the rates suck, it is not brought up that often, unless you are a miserable whiner..

Yes you are right about that.:D

gatorfan068

Active Expediter
You know some people show their stupidity as professional drivers/expediters/owner operators,whatever you call yourself. This kind of comment does not have to be made.....taking advantage of the "dumb, unskilled" van drivers..
If you drive a tractor trailer or straight truck,and you don't care for cargo vans,keep your nasty comments to yourself.If a driver or owner operator is happy with driving a cargo van so what? Just keep your rude comments to yourself.

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
What a joke.They want you to lease on to them, as a o/o, with lease o/o rates, but pay extra for primary insurance and have youre own authority? There ya go!!

I dont think that info was correct. The only insurance we require is that state that requires workers comp. We have to be a "cert holder" on that policy. I dont believe that cargo's or sprinters even have liability insurance, do they? Additional insured is not a practice we participate in.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, non-trucking liability is required (and for good reason!) in Michigan and probably a lot of other places too. In addition, anyone hauling freight, under their own authority or the carrier's, better have cargo liability. If you don't, the liability is ALL yours!