What carriers are taking on vans?

gatorfan068

Active Expediter
What carriers are taking on cargo vans? I'm looking at putting on a 1 ton or a 3/4 ton cargo van on with a carrier. No Hazmat endorsement I got a"NO" from Tristate and Load 1.The other carriers I have called dont call back. Thank you...

ChubbyRain

Active Expediter
Im looking to be put "on" as well, I have a 1 ton GMC 3500 Savana white cargo van out of Atlanta, Ga. PLEASE let me know too

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Most carriers will require you to have hazmat endorsement. Its simple to get. Background check and a test. I'd lose a lot of loads if I had no Haz endorsement.

Dale

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
What carriers are taking on cargo vans? I'm looking at putting on a 1 ton or a 3/4 ton cargo van on with a carrier. No Hazmat endorsement I got a"NO" from Tristate and Load 1.The other carriers I have called dont call back. Thank you...

Your starting at the top, if your just starting out your going to have to start with a smaller carrier or one who does not mind experience numbers. I would say Bolt is a good place to start.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
all recruiting should be stopped immediately, a freeze. All recruiters should be laid-off or given temp positions within the company to save costs..until we see the effect of this Japan issue....

and of course....IMO

gatorfan068

Active Expediter
As I said in another forum,I got told No..we are on hold for vans..unless you are a previous owner.That is so wrong..So its better to help out the fleet owners than help out the O/O that is trying to get statrted in the business as I see it from that answer.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
As I said in another forum,I got told No..we are on hold for vans..unless you are a previous owner.That is so wrong..So its better to help out the fleet owners than help out the O/O that is trying to get statrted in the business as I see it from that answer.

I didn't see anything about fleet owners in that. It said previous owner.
This game is not easy to get in, stay in or excel in.:cool:

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
I got a call from Michelle at JD Clark today. She said they are recruiting vans.

Must have your own authority. Must carry $1 mil. liability and $100k cargo. Pay is $0.85 per loaded mile and $0.35 per DH mile after the first 50 miles.

JD Clark must be named additional insured on your policy.

I let her know the only way I would roll that cheap is on a backhaul with a loose deadline. She said they are bidding those rates to remain competitive. I told her there is a big difference between competing and merely undercutting.

I had a good chuckle and thanked her for her time.

fired at you from my Droideka

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I got a call from Michelle at JD Clark today. She said they are recruiting vans.

Must have your own authority. Must carry $1 mil. liability and $100k cargo. Pay is $0.85 per loaded mile and $0.35 per DH mile after the first 50 miles.

I let her know the only way I would roll that cheap is on a backhaul with a loose deadline. She said they are bidding those rates to remain competitive. I told her there is a big difference between competing and merely undercutting.

My Oh My!!:eek::eek:

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Gatorfan and other prospectives:

If I could offer some assistance to you folks, it would be that you provide good, detailed info on your posts and in your profiles here on EO. Questions like "Who is taking on vans?" could be posted as "Which carriers are taking on vans near Jacksonville, Florida?" Putting your city and state in your public profile would be very helpful also. Most people would assume Gatorfan is from Florida by the screen name, but, well you know what is said about the word assume.... I looked at the public profile and yep - not listed. Heck, there are Steelers fans here in Toledo.

When completing an "On-line" application, FULLY complete the on-line application as completely as possible. In my career many applications have never been fully read before they are deleted because the application was not fully completed. Pay particular attention to what information each field is requesting and most important - full employment history.

This is offered as assistance only and in no way intended to be critical of any person.

Thank you and good luck.

HotFr8Recruiter

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
JOHNCLARK

Re: Any cargos in laredo?

What?? your getting really old now. One day I will show you what we charge our customers. I put it out there cause I was screwed and had to get it covered. Im not here to impress you or anyone for that fact. And $600 is cheap. You have to send a trk to Mc Allen, (130) and then your gonna stay in Mc Allen? No! So (130) back to Laredo, and the potential that you missed a load in the meantime. Your time isnt worth $600? Ok, then, I impress my o/o's daily.

$600. over 260 miles= $2.30 all miles, should you not make that for a minimum? Go haul your cheap freight, and I will haul mine. In the meantime load is gone so you can terminate this thread now. FYI, detroit to windsor, $795.00 for a cargo. Let's see your company get that for you!!~

Let me guess, you wouldnt haul it cause there was no FSC?

BTW, NLM shipment # 4628892 is our load number with NLM. Since I am a NLM customer you can see I brokered it to Matrix Expedite.

They where dumb enough to take it at $250. Is that the kind of company your leased on to? Someone willing to take it and leave you sit? Wonder what there fee was? Ask your dispatch to see what there tariff is on that lane?!?!
proof is in the pudding

And the whole time I was thinking, If your a medium size to large carrier, would'nt you sign the cargo van on at let's say $1.00 a mile for example with no weekly charges and quick pay at no cost.

The way I see it, straight trucks and tractors are my most profitable vehicles and cargo vans are the least profitable. And that's fine. Cargo vans in my opinion are "the bait" for the customers. For example if I where to pay a cargo van $1.00 a mile and charge my customer $1.05 a mile it's a incentive for your customer.
85 cents isn't quite the $1.00 is it?
http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/general-expediter-forum/46327-cargo-vans-sprinters.html

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe he included fsc with his total rate ?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Maybe...Bit it still does not make him the highest paying out there...as he trumpeted...just another snake oil sales person trying to peddle what he thinks is something new to the not so aware.....taking advantage of the "dumb, unskilled" van drivers..
Gotta remember his background is sales...:rolleyes:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Am I hard on owners/recruiters when they come on and say they've re-invented the wheel and are claiming to make our lives better?

Darn tootin I am.....I was just as hard on John E at the beginning...I did much probing before signing on with him...

the old adage..If it is too good to be true it likely is....

I

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Am I hard on owners/recruiters when they come on and say they've re-invented the wheel and are claiming to make our lives better?

Darn tootin I am.....I was just as hard on John E at the beginning...I did much probing before signing on with him...

the old adage..If it is too good to be true it likely is....

I

Got a great point there, keep up the good work!!!

Haven't seen John E on here lately, must be busy.:cool:

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got a great point there, keep up the good work!!!

Haven't seen John E on hear lately, must be busy.:cool:

East Michigan has died for CV's and sprinters the last while...he's overseeing ie: cracking the whip on dispatch...*LOL* pulling loads out of their respective backsides...:D
One thing about John..he always knows where his trucks are and if they are moving..and if they aren't, he wants to know why....he's relentless...;)

guido4475

Not a Member

This I just dont understand..Carriers that require a person to carry Primary insurance..(everything in one bundle), as if you hold youre own authority, but pay you leased owner-operator rates...Makes no sense..Prestige used to be that way,and a few others.I have a freind who is leased on with 2 carriers at the same time, and, at times, does keep more busy than me, but is not saying what his rates are,telling me they are cheap freight :censoredsign: rates, with alot of chasing to get those loads..one reason this industry is getting so screwed up.