What Are Your Fitness Hold-Backs and Wins?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It's the new-year rush time in the fitness industry. Motivated by their fresh start in a new year and the resolutions they made, more people join gyms this month than any other. As you think about your fitness, and if you are less than happy with your present state, what held you back last year? What obstacle would you like to overcome in 2022?

If 2021 was a successful fitness year for you (as in you met your goals), what was your secret? What worked to help get you where you want to be?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I will admit my procrastination has been an issue since retirement.
Procrastination is a tough one. We know we should exercise to obtain the benefits of fitness, but we sit instead because that seems so much easier to do in the moment. That sitting produces an inner conflict which is uncomfortable and a common response is procrastination; relieving the inner conflict by doing something that is immediately comfortable instead of doing the seemingly harder thing.

This is common even among regular gym users. I feel it every day. Other gym owners and staff I know all report they feel it sometimes. The thing that separates those who show up in the gym (or exercise at home consistently and vigorously) is a small but very effective thing. We simply remind ourselves that once we start, the urge to procrastinate fades. And when we're done with our workouts, we always feel better than we would if we did not work out that day.

The challenge is not completing the workout, it's starting the workout. And that gets easier when you remind yourself as above. And the reminding gets easier as experience is developed. The more often you start, the more often you feel great about the workout you completed. And the more often that happens, the more believable it becomes that you really will feel better once you start.

No one needs to have an exercise program as hard as mine. I do powerlifting which means lifting very heavy weights. Almost every workout, I'm trying to lift a barbell heavier than I have ever lifted before. That's hard and uncomfortable. When I'm sitting in a comfortable chair, thinking ahead to that difficult thing, the urge to procrastinate is strong.

I get past that, not by thinking about the heavy weights, but by thinking about the easy five-minute warm-up; five easy minutes on a rowing machine to elevate my heart rate, loosen my joints and get more blood flowing through my body and brain. Those easy five minutes are magic. They put me in motion, which shifts my mind from not wanting to lift weights to wanting to take on the challenge.

When I'm in a chair thinking about the heavy lifts, it's easy to procrastinate. When I think about the easy warm-up, in which I know from experience my mindset will shift, I'm ready to rock and roll!

If procrastination is keeping you stuck, don't think about a long, hard workout. Think about a short, easy start. If you have little or no exercise history, don't start with a one-hour workout. Start with starting. Make your first workout a five-minute workout start-to-finish. Make your early workouts easy to complete. Then, over time, build on that.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Even though I have my 3 tear old Anytime Fitness membership, I rarely use it. Maybe for an occasional shower. I was using it to get in shape years ago, and the positive results were amazing. But than sciatic nerve pain really did me in, not being able to walk hardly for 3 months. After 2 shots, therapy, stretches every morning, medication, I'm alot better now, but still have my bad days. I guess the fear of aggravating that sciatic nerve again is what has kept me away from Anytime Fitness. I'm much too young to feel this old.

• Wow
Reactions: Ragman

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Even though I have my 3 tear old Anytime Fitness membership, I rarely use it. Maybe for an occasional shower. I was using it to get in shape years ago, and the positive results were amazing. But than sciatic nerve pain really did me in, not being able to walk hardly for 3 months. After 2 shots, therapy, stretches every morning, medication, I'm alot better now, but still have my bad days. I guess the fear of aggravating that sciatic nerve again is what has kept me away from Anytime Fitness. I'm much too young to feel this old.
Fear of pain or fear of re-injuring a joint is common. We see it a lot in our gym. Doctors tell people to stay off the painful areas. Trainers tell people to "listen to your body." But this advice is too often taken to an extreme to mean don't move at all and don't exercise at all. Some people bring in notes from their doctors saying they are prohibited by their doctor from using the gym when a bad knee is all that bothers them.

To notes like that we think, there are over 250 joints in the human body, and you want to quit exercising because one of them has issues? Does the rest of your body not matter? And what about that bad joint? It was designed to move. It responds best to movement. If you stop using it, it's guaranteed to freeze up more and give you more problems. Avoiding pain is not the goal. Recovering use of the joint is.

Your sciatic nerve is not a joint but the principle is the same. If you orient your life around avoiding pain, you will take much of your body out of use and those parts will atrophy. I'm not saying you have to put yourself into pain to exercise but exercise can help.

Read this to learn more. Pay close attention to the words "prescribed exercise." That's something quite different than what most people think when they hear the word "exercise." If your doctors and therapists are not prescribing exercises, choosing to treat pain instead, find new doctors and therapists who will agree with you that restoring function and enjoying life is the goal.

Last edited:

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
That is exactly what gave me recovery, as long of a process as it was.

A Saturday morning I was at the Pilot at the 140 on 71 in Ohio. As I got out of the van, I grabbed my duffel bag, and experienced an excruciating immediate pain. I dropped the bag on the ground and barely made it back onto the vans bed.. I collapsed with the side door open.. I could not move for 2 days. It took me 3 days to get home, 150 miles away. The pain was so bad as I drove that I wanted to die. I was actually screaming out at the top of my lungs for God to kill me. I made it to a friend's house.where I spent a week until my doctor's appointment ..2 epidural shots in my lower back, a ton of Gabapentin, ( which put me in the hospital for a week 8 months later), and a ton of stretching exercises which I still do to this day as much as possible. It humbles me to this day to think what I went through. The struggle to walk 50 ft, only to turn around and lay back down and do more stretching. It was a long 3 months. Thank God I was 3 months ahead on all my bills. The Cleveland Clinic told me that all the years of driving (3+ million), has caught up with me, all that sitting as I was driving, has compressed my spine eventually hitting my sciatic nerve. This is the reason why I limit the mile length of runs I do. If I go over my limit, I sure feel it. Eventually I need to get those herniated discs operated on. And I know, without a doubt, losing weight and getting in shape will be the biggest help as well, in so many ways. Phil, thank you for your valuable advice. I really appreciate it.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
That is exactly what gave me recovery, as long of a process as it was. ...
When people with back issues talk to me in the club (and there are a lot of them), I always ask, would you rather have a strong back or weak back? They of course answer strong back. But strong back does not necessarily mean healed back. Many back issues persist for life. But in many cases, those issues do not mean the back cannot be strengthened. Lots of people who have imperfect backs have strong backs too.

In weightlifting circles, a famous example of this is Lamar Grant. Read his story here.

Having herniated disks, scoliosis, a fused spine, or other causes of back pain are often cited as reasons to not exercise. But, often, exercise is the very thing that can relieve pain, restore at least some function, and reduce the risk of future injury.

We see in the healthcare community two default instincts. One is to treat pain by minimizing use of the painful area. The other is to focus on function and actually using the injured component to the extent possible, which in many cases reduces pain. In weightlifting gyms, it is common to hear people say their back pain disappeared as they built strength by lifting weights.

Each case is different so if someone else is reading this who has back pain, do not trot immediately to a gym to start lifting weights on your own. Back pain is serious business and you should talk to professionals before designing a plan of your own.

But when you talk to doctors, therapists and/or trainers, be sure to ask about building strength and restoring function. If you don't, many will simply default to pain avoidance because that's what they think most people want, and they are not wrong. Most people want the easy pill or manipulation by a chiropractor or the relaxing massage more than they want to do the planed, consistent and hard work required to build strength.

If you find yourself with a doctor who steers you away from strength after you ask, find another doctor who cares more about your back than his legal liability.

Your comments about sitting should be taken to heart by every expediter.

As your case illustrates, sitting is a serious health hazard, and expediters sit a lot. You sit when you drive. You sit when you eat. You sit or lay when you wait for loads. As an experiment, track the amount of time you spend on your feet and off your feet in a typical day. You'll likely be shocked to learn how much time you spend taking your spine out of use.

Your muscles, bones and connective tissues are use-it-or-lose-it components. And age adds to their weakness if you don't do something about it.

The good news is you don't have exercise as much as you sit to offset the negative effects of sitting. Investing just 3%-5% of your time in well-planned workouts and doing them consistently can produce wonderful results and surprising strength gains.

I'm 67. In the last year-and-a-half, I have been lifting weights 3-4 times a week. I can lift more now than I have been able to lift at any other time in my life. I am stronger now than I have ever been. And I started with a shoulder injury so severe that I could not even get under the bar to do a squat. Now I squat with ease.

As with you, Mr. Loyalty, the positive results did not come quick. It took a good amount of time and work. But investing that time and doing that work is well worth it. The alternative is pain and loss of function. And with loss of function comes other issues because your body is stressed in ways it was not designed to handle as it compensates for the component that is no longer well.

Short message to expediters: Get off your ass enough to offset the negative effects of sitting. Spend 3-5 hours a week in a gym to use the back, joints and muscles you seldom use. Get on a good strength program so you literally don't waste away.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Eventually I need to get those herniated discs operated on. And I know, without a doubt, losing weight and getting in shape will be the biggest help as well, in so many ways. Phil, thank you for your valuable advice. I really appreciate it.
You are an Anytime Fitness member. Our gym is near FL I-95 exit 256 (Port Orange, FL). If you will be in our area, please call ahead for a free appointment. I'd love to spend some time with you. Few fitness people understand life on the road. Diane and I do (10 years in DR and CR trucks).

Reactions: Mr. Loyalty.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
You are an Anytime Fitness member. Our gym is near FL I-95 exit 256 (Port Orange, FL). If you will be in our area, please call ahead for a free appointment. I'd love to spend some time with you. Few fitness people understand life on the road. Diane and I do (10 years in DR and CR trucks).
Thank you. If I do get down that way, I will look you up. I met the both of you in Armidillo, Texas once. You took my picture...lol..

Reactions: ATeam