What are you paying for health insurance?

Bugsy Siegel

Seasoned Expediter
I've gotten two quotes in the last month or so, and the average price is about $1400 a month.

That's insane!!!

Is that what everyone is paying, or did I just pick two bad companies to try and get insurance through? Both companies claimed to specialize in helping small businesses get affordable insurance. Affordable???

Thanks!

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Ooida has some basic plans availible for members. For a more complete comparison, you can check out www.ehealthinsurance.com

You can compare plans there.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"You cannot tailor make the situations in life, but you can tailor make the attitudes to fit those situations before they arise."

"Ability can take you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

Zig Ziglar

Zig Ziglar

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I got similiar outrageous quotes this past fall when my HMO went out of business. When talking to one of the underwriters at Blue Cross in Cleveland, she gave me the name of an independent broker in the Akron area.

The company found me another HMO for less than half of what Kaiser and Blue Cross wanted.

They have many types of plans with various deductibles.

I have no affiliation with this company whatsoever and assume no liability. I can only say that I've been very happy with the service and the quality of care at a fair price.

If any member here is interested in getting a quote or just talking to the company, you can send me a private message and I will provide their phone number.

Be safe

Jayman

Expert Expediter
Depending on your situation, I think you can get a good plan through Anthem Blue Cross for about $500 a month. They can give you a quote online.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
46 Year Old Male, $260 a month 2,500 Deductable all Doctors office visits and perspection $10 or $20. Only if I am hospitalized or have surgery does the deductable come into play.

My wife and daughter brings it up to $480.00 a month.

Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Carolinas. Ohio should be close or even a little less.

kangar0085

Seasoned Expediter
Yeah I also have Blue Cross Anthem insurance but its just on myself 140 dollars per month 1000 dollar deductible 20 on perscription (21 year old male) 20 percent out of pocket in case of hospital stay maximum out of pocket per year 2500 dollars

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I had a bad experience back in 2002 with an outfit out of Georgia. They went into receivership? right when I needed them. Finally got a few bucks out of them in a class action...
After that I went with Blue Care Network - Michigan. You can't be refused for anything, pre-existing or not, you can pick your own doctor (if they are on the list), and I pay $425 per month. That's not cheap, but I'm covered. For more bucks, you can get BC/BS...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have a BCBS of Texas plan that's 3500 ded and 8500 max out of pocket per year. It costs me $90 a month direct draft. I used ehealthinsurance.com to compare and choose.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
My policy is $162/month. It's only for major medical though. Doctors visits & such are paid out of pocket. Knock on wood here. I've only been sick once in the last 20 years or so & only saw the doctor maybe 3 or 4 times in that same period.

Golden Rule is my company. I'm not sure if their rates are better or worse than anyone elses. Hope that helps some.

Take care,
Danny

Bugsy Siegel

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for all the replies, got several leads to track down in the next year or so before I get underway.

Thanks again!

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I forgot to add one thing (minor) concerning Blue Care Network. One must join a association (like MI. Business Professional #####.) That one costs $100 every year. They will mail you lots of stuff- just toss it.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
I'm 34 yr. old, With Blue Cross of CA, I have a $3500 deductible, after that they pay the rest. I have it attached to an HSA which works like an IRA my premium is $65 a month. it called a High Deductible HSA Compatible Plan - They are the best thing going. You get cheap catastrophy insurance which is what ins. is for anyway and the HSA contributions are tax deducble.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Thanx Easy,

I'd never heard of an HSA until now. I went on the web & got information on it. I won't know for sure until Monday when I can talk to an agent, but it seems like I might be able to save almost $100/month on my insurance.

Take care,
Danny