What are you doing for health insurance?

coleman6566

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
US Navy
Hi Everyone,

So what are you doing for health insurance? I've been thinking about getting back into expediting
but health insurance costs are a major concern for me and my wife.

I use to drive a cargo van for an owner with his own authority about 2 years ago. I quit after 5 months
because I barely cleared $400 bux a week. I Was only spending left over fuel surcharge money to live on the road. I had a 65/35 split plus I was getting the fuel surcharge up front on a debit card. I Was only getting 2 to 3 loads a week plus he would never give me a copy of the settlement after a load.

I see others making a lot more than that. I have a good job but I want to own my own business. I have a class B CDL and would consider going to a straight but not sure about personalities clashing with someone I don't know. I would still want to drive for an owner because I still need more experience and can't purchase a truck or van right now.

My wife owns her own business so teaming with her is out plus she probably would not be happy with me doing
this unless I can clear at least $800 a week after health insurance and expenses.

Am I dreaming?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
If you were getting a 65/35 split your doing better than most from what I read here all the time it's more like 60/40

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Yes, to clear 800 $ a week after medical insurance is dreaming in my opinion. You will have to get that on your own cause no fleet owner is going to provide that !!!!!!

Reactions: neilblack

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
yep..dreaming...as stated above....oh there are some weeks it maybe attainable but with the swings in this business to actually average that is darned near impossible...IMO

tknight

Veteran Expediter
In the immortal words of Steven Tyler
ada4b840781bf76c55196d92ef7f3070.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

coleman6566

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
US Navy
Wasn't looking for the fleet owner to pay health insurance. Really wanted to know what everyone else is doing for health insurance. If you can't make at least $800 a week, then why do you do this?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wasn't looking for the fleet owner to pay health insurance. Really wanted to know what everyone else is doing for health insurance. If you can't make at least $800 a week, then why do you do this?
because not all of us need that much...we have a second and 3rd source of income...

Reactions: Mailer

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
because not all of us need that much...we have a second and 3rd source of income...
I'm told driving a cargo van for an owner, shouldn't be used as a primary source of income. As a supplement, yes, as a main source, no.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
the way this industry has gone downhill....I would say no now...a young person trying to feed a family and make a life....and be home when they should is not going to happen...one must drive at least 2,500 to 3,500 miles a week to make it in a CV at the current rates....and with that increase in mileage comes an increase in operating expenses...

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One of the way to get an affordable health insurance is to bring the annual adjusted gross income to below the federal poverty level so that you would be qualified for the federal subsidies.

For example, a cargo van owner operator can use the high mileage deductions to bring him/herself to or below the federal poverty level.

That why cargo van owner operators are always very, very poor, Lol....

Unless...
As stated by members above. The more other resources and less debt you have, the more profitable you will be.

Last edited:

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
last year after mileage our adjusted income was only 14k and we had 3 other incomes. that is less than 270 per week.you can profit more at Mcdonalds

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
One of the way to get an affordable health insurance is to bring the annual adjusted gross income to below the federal poverty level so that you would be qualified for the federal subsidies.

For example, a cargo van owner operator can use the high mileage deductions to bring him/herself to or below the federal poverty level.

Unless...
As stated by members above. The more other resources and less debt you have, the more profitable you will be.
Now there ya go giving away the quiz ... lol but you are correct

Reactions: Mailer

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Won't work for me, but if you drive a straight, your CDL will usually get you a decent part time gig with your state as a plow truck driver....

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Unless...
Now there ya go giving away the quiz ... lol but you are correct[/QUOT

Lol...Zing!

coleman6566

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
US Navy
Thanks for the input everyone! Very confusing on why people do this if you can't make a living lol
How do these people buy these nice vans and str8ts and pay for them? LOL if you have to have 3 or 4 incomes
I think I'll stick with my day job. Great info

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the input everyone! Very confusing on why people do this if you can't make a living lol
How do these people buy these nice vans and str8ts and pay for them? LOL if you have to have 3 or 4 incomes
most that responded to you have been in this for quite some time..there was a time when we made some good bucks, but it still was a sacrifice on the lifestyle....and now we are in free floating form till the end....the commitment now has to be total and unwavering all time consuming which takes its toll....it takes years to accumulate how to survive this business, big carriers and brokers have forced us to be balls to the wall....if we were really smart we'd all quit and see how they moved their cheap azz crap....
Good luck in the future whatever path you chose....if you end up coming back...we are here...

coleman6566

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
US Navy
most that responded to you have been in this for quite some time..there was a time when we made some good bucks, but it still was a sacrifice on the lifestyle....and now we are in free floating form till the end....the commitment now has to be total and unwavering all time consuming which takes its toll....it takes years to accumulate how to survive this business, big carriers and brokers have forced us to be balls to the wall....if we were really smart we'd all quit and see how they moved their cheap azz crap....
Good luck in the future whatever path you chose....if you end up coming back...we are here...
Thank you OntarioVanMan