What about this?

G

I'd like to get other people's reaction to an idea I have. Would you think it would be a good idea to place turn signal and brake lights at the top of trucks and semi trailers? My thinking is the situation where car drivers who are 2 or 3 places back cannot see the lights coming on due to the vehicles in front of them.

My idea would be to add a second set of lights at the top of the box, or trailer. Also, has any one had the experience of being behind a 18 wheeler that is equipped with an engine brake, and almost hitting it because the brake lights don"t come on when the Jake Brake is in use? How about a special light that would show that the engine brake was in use? Comments, anyone? Jim Bunting...

G

Jimbo,

You are always cutting edge! I agree with you.

THE X

G

I think it is a great idea, the more lights and turn signals there are the safer it will be, Now if we can get the 4-wheelers to pay attention to them...lol

Retread

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
These are great ideas. This was bantered around on another message board last month. The idea there was to place strobe lights on top much like school buses display, the flush mounted variety. The final decision was that the strobe lights would be too distracting.

The idea of top mounted brake lights/signals would be a better choice (IMHO). Now on any trailer other than a van/box or "covered wagon" (thinking big and far reaching here)there would be a problem of where, if at all, to mount those extra safety measures.

But, by all means, you idea is a very sound one.

G

Jim, This is a great idea...I have been driving a school bus for 10 years on busy Hyw. 270 (2 lane) between Hot Springs and Fort Smith. Your idea would be very effective in the "hill country" Also, I had a "comments to the editor" published in Overdrive Magazine a few years ago---never have had a trucker fail to stop for flashing lights on a bus...for added safety they usually put on their flashers...Guess who is the worst folks to run past the bus while unloading.....the retired couple with the new $100,000. motor home they are just learning to drive..........I enjoy all of your comments, am learning a lot.

G

I have seen several step type vans of late with just the setup
you are talking about.If they can do it on a step van there,
shouldn't be a problem with a straight truck. Seems like a good
idea to me.

G

Jim,

I think an overhaul of DOT lighting systems is way overdue. With all the new technology it's really amazing that we are running on 1940's style lighting systems. With the exception of halogen lamps (love them or hate them), not much has been updated. I'm with you!

Lawrence McCord