West Coast Expediting

HrHitter33

Active Expediter
I'm planning to relocate to SoCal area. What's the expediting like in that area? Profitable? Steady? Any help would be appreciatted. Thanks

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
DO NOT relocate to southern california. The state is in a shambles. Their is little or no expediting in cali. The government has chased all the manurfactures out of the state.

The DMV is a total nightmare, the Air Resources Board does evrything they can to quash business. The only reason I haven't left is I can't sell my house cause its upside down.

Unless you are independantly wealthy, it is a mistake to move to California. If you have children then Cali is definately out of the question. The schools here are just brainwashatoriums.

Anyway is that clear enough.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

fastrod

Expert Expediter
DO NOT relocate to southern california. The state is in a shambles. Their is little or no expediting in cali. The government has chased all the manurfactures out of the state.

The DMV is a total nightmare, the Air Resources Board does evrything they can to quash business. The only reason I haven't left is I can't sell my house cause its upside down.

Unless you are independantly wealthy, it is a mistake to move to California. If you have children then Cali is definately out of the question. The schools here are just brainwashatoriums.

Clear enough and oh so true. I know people that have left for the reasons you listed.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
1. Cali no tornados.

2. Cali nosnow.

3. Cali no humidity.

I am so spoiled when i'm in California. Just had to hunker down in the customers break room last night for 30 minutes while a tornado passed over top of us. I was ready to run right back to Cali. But you are correct, California is bankrupt and the DMV system is one big mismanaged bureaucratic nightmare.

As far as expedite, it's hit or miss. You might get a load back east, you might not get a load back east. I've been loaded out of Southern California 7 out of seven times in the past year. I'm in a cargo van. I hope this helps.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Probably would depend on where your loads are coming from.
Some do ok and others just go broke.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
A lot depends on what you're driving [van, s/t, t/t], even more on who you're driving for: some carriers have steady freight in & around the west coast, others, not so much.
If you're leased to a carrier, they'd be the ones to ask - if not, it's a point to consider when choosing one.
I like to visit California, but I wouldn't want to live there - it is too close to bankrupt, and not getting better.:(

twe2011

Seasoned Expediter
Wow, whenever we deliver a load out in cali we get a load back out usually in a day.

Went from virginia to cali back to ohio
Then to texas back to cali now back to texas.

Wow I have never been so lucky when it comes to long team load.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Wow, whenever we deliver a load out in cali we get a load back out usually in a day.

Went from virginia to cali back to ohio
Then to texas back to cali now back to texas.
Keep in mind the OP asked about expediting "in that area," not about getting loads "out of" that area. A load going from Cali to Ohio isn't exactly expediting on the west coat. If someone wants to relocate to California and be an expediter, they can certainly get a load out of California, no problem, but it may be 6 month or a year, or more, before they get the next load going back to the west coat. I know one guy who has been doing this for 9 years and he's never even been offered a load that delivered west of the Rockies.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
With the right truck and qualifications you might do well staying out here. Getting out is sometimes a different story. Right now there are half a zillion expediters sitting at the TA in Ontario. If a load is EVER sent out people will be falling all over themselves trying to get to the Clink!

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
With the right truck and qualifications you might do well staying out here. Getting out is sometimes a different story. Right now there are half a zillion expediters sitting at the TA in Ontario. If a load is EVER sent out people will be falling all over themselves trying to get to the Clink!

...yet we were in and out twice this month when there were only five trucks for the whole state...a day or two later there's 20-25 trucks. As far as staying on the west coast, I don't think the rates can support the cost of running as people said above- there can be ALOT of DH between freight areas, but it definately depends on your vehicle and company. IMHO, anything bigger than a sprinter would have to be team to get anything done. :)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It would HAVE to be a team. A "C" or "D" with a minimal sleeper. Both drivers would need DOD clearance.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I'm planning to relocate to SoCal area. What's the expediting like in that area? Profitable? Steady? Any help would be appreciatted. Thanks

I understand there is a lot of work there but the problem is finding a company who can capture the work for you. It doesn't matter what you drive, the company matters. I would look around there to find a company to drive for and not worry about anything like out here.

HrHitter33

Active Expediter
Thanks guys. what I meant was I wanna live and do expediting in the west coast area. Ca, Arz,Nv..etc. I don't wanna get a run out there, but stay in that area. Thanks

bobwg

Expert Expediter

If you are wealthy when you move to Cali you wont be wealthy for long

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Mr. Hitter,
A few years back like 2 I was consideringgetting my own authority and I talked to Transcore about their frieght board. The guy put in my truck size 10k weight 24 foot box and said the Phoenix to LA lane was full of that kind of frieght. Also that thre was a lot of local phoenix tucson stuff.

You might try Pilot Air Frieght also they have lots of LTL stuff. I think you would have to get your own authority though. Fecc frieght out there is crap. I haven't had any of the majors I've talked to tell me much different. AZ and NV are very easy states to do business in california is a total nightmare. Its just gonna get worse.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Given the type of business that drives the economy in NV, lots of incoming freight is available. However that said, there is not much going out. Not much is manufactured there.

HHDLLC

Seasoned Expediter
I live in Arizona, There is work out here. I don't it's much different than back east. A lot of loads going from Phoenix to SF, LA, SD, SLC, ALB, up up the coast. Also things come out of Phoenix going to Dallas and Dalls back to Phoenix. Seems like 95% of the expediters live back in the midwest and when they get to the west coast just want to load back. I've stayed busy for 5 months with a 12ft cube, never going east of the Mississippi. There is work, you just need a good company working with you to find it.