Weight on a 3/4 ton van

jrcase

Seasoned Expediter
What is the max weight you will take on a 3/4 ton van? Specifically a Chevy Express 2500. Consider the van with a full tank of gas and a 185 pound driver and 100 pounds of "stuff". I want to see if my limit is out of reason. Thanks!

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
there is a GVWR sticker on the door...you take the van and weight it with the gas, driver and stuff in it, then subtract that weight from the weght listed on the door..

Oh and there are 2 different 3/4 ton Chevy Vans...and they both have different GVWR'ing....so wthout knowing whch you have, no one can even really gove you a close guess... scale it...

jrcase

Seasoned Expediter
I have the 3/4 ton 2500 Express (see my initial post). I don't like to take my weight to the limit so I draw the line at 2300 lbs. I was just wondering if I was being too anal. I don't like how the van drives and the stopping distance it takes with more than that.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
As i said, GM makes 2 different size 3/4 ton vans one is a light hd one is a HD...you eed to look at the door jam sticker to know which on it is....you need to know the GVW of the truck

Now you can also look at the wheels, if you have 6 lugnuts, it is a light duty, if there are 8 lugs, it is a heavy duty...but off the top of my head, i can't tell you the GVW..but I can say that if it is a light duty, chances are 2300 lb is over loading it...

Look at the door, and then scale the van...

jrcase

Seasoned Expediter
I have the 8 lug HD, 10 ply tire, version. I know the GVWR on the van. I was just wanting to know what my fellow vanners used as their upper limit. It seems I am limiting myself with 2300 lb. max that I have set upon myself. I have carried 2735 lbs before but NEVER again. Maybe I will rethink and move it up to 2500 lbs. I missed a load that was 2480 lbs because I didnt want to overload.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
. I don't like to take my weight to the limit so I draw the line at 2300 lbs. I was just wondering if I was being too anal.

Not being anal at all, it is a great thing to read.

I would take the empty van to any cat scale with all your stuff in it, you and a full tank of gas then subtract that from the GVW. It will give you the exact weight limit.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'll second the cat scale recommendation. When I had the 2500 Sprinter, I found that 3,000 lbs was about the limit, further I found that the best place for the weight was on the rear axle. The front axle was already close to legal limits, but the rear axle would take the full 3,000 payload with a little something to spare.

Way back when I drove Chevy pickups, they had a display that showed something very similar-- the center of balance of the payload was displayed at either directly over, or just forward, of the rear axle.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have the 8 lug HD, 10 ply tire, version. I know the GVWR on the van. I was just wanting to know what my fellow vanners used as their upper limit. It seems I am limiting myself with 2300 lb. max that I have set upon myself. I have carried 2735 lbs before but NEVER again. Maybe I will rethink and move it up to 2500 lbs. I missed a load that was 2480 lbs because I didnt want to overload.

Keep in mind you'll never have a full tank of fuel for long....2500 lbs would be fine...when I am on a heavier load I never quite fill the tank...

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's just possible you can push a heavy 3/4 ton van to a 3,000 lbs payload, personally I wouldn't do more than that "even if". I'm paid by the mile, not by weight. It's just not worth tearing up my equipment when I can make as much-- or more maybe, by delivering a 25 lb box as I would for doing 2850 lbs. It takes expensive gasoline to move that weight, then also there's the problem of stopping it, and the wear on bearings, springs, shocks and mounts--.

Monty

Expert Expediter
I have found that weight distribution is as important as total weight.

Too heavy on one end or the other, and you have stability problems.

2 skids weighing 3,000 pounds might not cause you a problem at all, 1 skid weighing the same, loaded at the rear, would.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
The reason people are saying to use a scale ticket to compare to the door sticker is because there are other options besides just the model that will make a difference in how much weight is hidden in the van. One van may have a slick metal floor, another van has a factory installed wood floor.... You'll never know how much other stuff is on board without weighing it yourself. Between two of the same model one van can haul 3000 lbs safely and legally, and another van can't even haul 2000lbs legally because of the other stuff.

eb