weight of straight truck sleepers?

sattruck

Seasoned Expediter
Hello, first off I am not an expeditor. (hope they won't kick me out!) My truck is a satellite uplink truck on an FL 70 with an ISC Cummins. For some time I've been watching you guys with the medium duty straight trucks with huge sleepers. I want to stretch my truck from 252" WB to 322" WB and add an 84" sleeper (truck already has 16" between cab and box) with a bed, shower/toilet combo, and small refrigerator and microwave. I have been in contact with AA Sleepers, but have not been able to get a weight estimate from them. Can anyone here say with accuracy what a sleeper that size will weigh? I have to be careful not to be over, truck is a single axle that weighs 18,000 on rear and 10,000 on front now. Since the load is fixed, the only thing that ever changes my weight is the amount of fuel onboard.
Also, how hard is it to manuever around town with a 322" wheelbase? Most of my driving is on the road, but like many of you guys, my destination may be in a city.
Thanks!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Do careful research on that wheelbase. I've recently been told the maximum legal wb for a 6 wheel truck is 300". I'm waiting on the citation in the regs to be emailed to me that specifies wheelbases.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
FL70, ISC with a autoshift and a 96" sleeper, APU, Lift gate and all the equipment except the fat driver who drives it, add 325 lbs for him - 21,454 lbs. Oh did I mention 300" WB and it is a 32k truck.

I would be careful in the frame stretch, and really would look for a class 8 if you are going to put that money into it.

guido4475

Not a Member
Do careful research on that wheelbase. I've recently been told the maximum legal wb for a 6 wheel truck is 300". I'm waiting on the citation in the regs to be emailed to me that specifies wheelbases.

Regs may of changed since 2001, but my Ford L-8000 at the time had a wheelbase of 315", from the factory.Non-setback front axle.A real pain in the city, as the turning radius on those trucks was terrible.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
My first FL70 expedite truck had a 320 inch wheelbase. Like anything just took getting used to. It came with a 72" AA sleeper. I'll look to see if I still have a weigh ticket. but when you throw in 12" and a shower it will change the weight distribution dramatically.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don't have the ticket, it is with the truck and by the way it isn't my truck. I know the total weight because it was weighted before I picked it up for the new owners.

I think it was about 11.8k, a bit heavy on the steers, I left a message on their phone to see what it is.