Wealthy first,businessman second,driver third.....

tallcal101

Veteran Expediter
A slight change to Leo's observation about the needed qualities to make it in trucking(expediting) field as a fleet owner these days.
Not a van owner,not an O/O of a single unit,but the big leap,multiple expensive units for speciality loads.
I dare anyone with 4 or more units of the $150,000.00 style,with at least 2 payments,to proof they are now making a profit that makes the whole ordeal wothwhile.Not just turning a profit,but getting ahead and planning on growing the fleet.
There are so many dreamers out there who want to build a fleet and think expediting is the road to the pot of gold.I know,as I was one.
I have talked to so many fleet owners of late who have been refeered to my by ex drivers of mine who want to know what to do now that then sky is falling.I guess I'm kind of wearing a sign on my butt that says "I got kicked so I now have an answer for you"on how not to fail in this business.I do have an asswere:
Start out wealthy,do it for all the wrong reasons,junk the trucks and retire and become an art collector.
Other wise,buy a van(be sure you have another retirment to pay the bills)see the counrty and make a little scratch.