We want to drive...

willmart

Rookie Expediter
My woman and I are wanting to drive over this great and beautiful country of ours. I have class A cdl with no odr experience. She has not got cdls yet. How do we get started???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using EO Forums mobile app

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Your best bet is to get her a cdl. How to go about that depends on what state you are in. Then you have to decide what type of vehicle you are planning on driving. From there you would start looking at carriers and or fleet owners. I wouldn't rush to buy a truck unless you really know what you are jumping in to.
BTW.....welcome to EO.

willmart

Rookie Expediter
Are there any company's out there that will yrain us both? And also I have heard that the straight truck is the best way to start. Any comments are greatly appreciated.

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
There are companies/ fleet owners who will let you take her on the road with you once she has a permit and let her train. It's not common really but my fiance had his license and I came out with him, enjoyed it, got my permit and trained with him.

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Ps he had no otr experience at when he first came out...but I agree with Dave that I would consider working for someone else before buying to make sure this job/lifestyle is a good fit for you both.

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

willmart

Rookie Expediter
Thank you very much... And can you give any examples of companies I can contact regarding this? And we do not intend on buying anything for a long while. We are with you guys on just trying this lifestyle out. Dont get me wrong though. We have wanted to do this for quite awhile now. So it will not be something we just try and dump. We looking for a career. But together. That make any sense?

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
There is a list of companies on the home page. Contact as many as you like to see what each has to offer.