Water World

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Last night I took a load from Gainesville, GA to Mount Vernon, MO. Mt. Vernon is between Springfield and Joplin, just off I-44. While waiting 1¾ hours for the shipper to finish the product I had time to plan my route. Why do shippers always manage to have the freight ready just before D time kicks in? I knew there were road closures in Missouri but couldn't find any info about closures in Arkansas. I chose to run I-20 to Birmingham and I-22 to Memphis. I took a five hour break in West Memphis and hit the road again at 11:00.

My plan was to run up U.S. 63 and then catch U.S. 60 in Missouri. 20 miles out of Jonesboro I encountered signage declaring US 63 was closed due to flooding and gave an alternate route. A few miles on the alternate route the National Guard had closed that highway and were diverting traffic. One nice young guardsman told me I could catch US 63 on the other side of Walnut Ridge and continue north. I thanked him and headed that direction. 12 miles later on the other side of Walnut Ridge, the Guard had closed the highway leading to US 63.

I ended up going back east 25 miles to Paragould. Before I did this though, I called Panther and convinced a supervisor to pay me for the extra miles. I figured it would be roughly an extra 50 miles, not including the 25 or so miles I did at the suggestion of the nice young guardsman.

If you are headed anywhere near eastern Missouri or northeast Arkansas try and find an up to date website listing road closures.
Arkansas Flood 3.JPG
Arkansas Flood 9.JPG
Arkansas Flood 8.JPG

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Paragould, Walnut Ridge/Hoxie, and Pocahontas make up the Arkansas Bermuda Triangle. Glad to see you made it out relatively unscathed.

Reactions: Moot and Grizzly

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
63, my favorite route. Got snowed in onetime. A good short cut and a nice drive when the weather is clear.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Paragould, Walnut Ridge/Hoxie, and Pocahontas make up the Arkansas Bermuda Triangle. Glad to see you made it out relatively unscathed.
I've been there twice in the past two weeks. Last week I delivered to a rail tank car plant in Marmaduke and spent the night across the state line at the Wally World in Kennett. I never saw Cheryl Crow though.

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
well what happen after paragould, what route did you end up taking from there? was west plains mo still under water?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
well what happen after paragould, what route did you end up taking from there? was west plains mo still under water?
Went straight north out of Paragould on MO 135 to US 67 which took me to Poplar Bluff and US 60. This was Thursday afternoon. I don't know the status of West Plains.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
On Saturday the 24th I received 9 inches with 4 more the following Sunday. In West Plains radio station KUKU 100.1 will have some information for the area. In Springfield the local TV station web sites will also have some information.