VIN Number Displayed

ihamner

Expert Expediter
We just had a scale master in Colorado pull us in because our VIN number is not displayed on the outside of our truck. It is the first time we have had anyone even mention that to us. The scale master says we need to display the last six digits of the number on the outside of the truck. Anyone else hear of this? If doing this would you display them next to the DOT number or truck number??

He didn't say this is a requirement but that it would simply help them clear trucks faster. If ours had been displayed he would not have pulled us in. Very strange.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Not sure about it being a requirement but I've seen a lot of trucks in the last couple of years with the vin displayed along with the dot and other numbers that the govt wants to see. Somewhere it must be a requirement or I would not see so many with it.
Rob

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yes, I have been told this by a number of DOT officers. The same goes for the inspection stickers, they have to be displayed on the truck in some states, and on the right side of the truck.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Our experience is the same as yours, India. The only state that has ever told us to display a VIN number is Colorado. As they said to you, they said to us. It is not a requirement but if they can see the VIN number (last 6 digits, or 8, I don't recall), they can clear the truck without bringing you inside.

We added the VIN to the passenger side of the truck only, as that is the side all Colorado scale cops view from inside the building. Since then, we have never been summoned inside at a Colorado scale.

Last edited:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The way I've heard it, there are no states where it's a law. When you are talked to about it, they will "strongly suggest" or say you "need to" do it. They never say that it's the law in that state, here's a warning, get it done. They like it so the can enter the VIN in the 'puter to quickly see your info.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've had it put on every truck with the DOT etc. as the normal thing. I was never asked about it, they just did it. I never cared it was there as anyone curious enough and gutsy enough could just open the hood and read it off the plate. The last 8 of the VIN aren't any identity theft secret or anything and it does make things easier at times.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
It's only one Sate that i know of CO and yes it makes scale time faster because you sail right through.However unless your elite or white glove how often do you get a run to CO.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Display it on both sides of the cab or sleeper. Although its not always clear if its a requirement, its quite standard to see it displayed on commercial vehicles. Displaying it will make life crossing your favorite scale more enjoyable! As you pass through the scale master generally will be running your Vin # or Base plate on the computer.

Take it a step further, get yourself Pre-pass. If the carrier you're leased to has a good safety record you will never leave the interstate in most cases. We rarely do even in this big girl we drive!!!

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Actually we do have PrePass and since our truck is registered in FL we do not have to put a tag on the front of the truck but we did that anyway thinking that would make the scale masters happy. We are going to put the VIN on the front under the DOT number on both sides just to speed things along. We find ourselves frequently passing through Colorado and we don't want to have to slow down for the scales.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
OK i guess I'm one of the uber cheap skates here but it's only CO and they only want it on the right side I can put up with the idea of the doors not being in balance to save a few bucks I know a line of letters is not that much but still.

And no it's not OCD it more of a zen balance thing but i got over it.