Verizon ends unlimited data plans in July

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Verizon ends unlimited data plans, starts tiered pricing in July

Published: Tuesday, June 21, 2011, 2:59 PM Updated: Tuesday, June 21, 2011, 3:04 PM
By Geoff Herbert, syracuse.com
Verizon ends unlimited data plans, starts tiered pricing in July | syracuse.com

Say goodbye to unlimited data plans, Verizon customers.

AT&T became the first carrier to end unlimited data plans for smartphone users last June, just before Apple's iPhone 4 launched on their network. T-Mobile announced the same switch to tiered pricing last month.

Verizon Wireless said Tuesday the mobile carrier will be ending its offer for unlimited data plans too, starting July 7.

"Verizon Wireless is making some minor changes to data plans including those for new smartphone customers," company spokeswoman Brenda Raney confirmed to CNN. "We will move to a more usage based pricing model in July. We'll have more to share closer to the implementation date."

Tech blog Droid Life reported earlier this week that the data plan will be $30 per month for 2 GB of data, the same price Verizon originally offered for unlimited data. The network may also charge $80 a month for 10GB of data, with tethering to other devices available for an additional $20.

Users who go over their allotted data will pay a fee of $10 per GB, according to Forbes.

The company has yet to confirm what the pricing would actually be, but the switch to tiered pricing isn't surprising news. When Verizon announced in January that the iPhone would be available on their network, they added that unlimited data would be available only for "a limited time."

Currently, AT&T customers pay $15 a month for 200 MB or $25 for 2 GB plus an additional $10 for each gigabyte of monthly data usage that exceeds the allotted 2 GB limit.

T-Mobile offers 2 GB of data for $10 a month, 5 GB for $20 and 10 GB for $50. According to PC World, T-Mobile service is technically unlimited, but users are throttled after hitting their data caps.

PC World points out that after Verizon switches in July, the only major U.S. carrier left with unlimited smartphone data plans will be Sprint.

"The all-you-can-eat data model isn't sustainable," Bob Lento, president of telecom billing firm Convergys, told CNN. "It costs billions for carriers to keep up with customers' data demands. At the same time, they need to be better about informing the customer about the changes so they don't experience bill shock."

Verizon says more details will be announced in July, but existing customers with unlimited data will still be able to keep their plans. The tiered pricing will only apply to new subscribers and customers renewing after July 7.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
What if you already have a plan? is it grandfathered then?

maybe I should have read the whole article

Duh!!!! Nevermind

paullud

Veteran Expediter
They say it costs billions to keep up with data demands but they also charge more than they spend. If cell companies are trying to slow down usage why not do what T-Mobile does or once you hit the cap you have to opt in to pay overage, could it be all the money they will make?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Only a matter of time before it hits existing customers. Ill probably opt out. Its nice but not that important to me

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Only a matter of time before it hits existing customers. Ill probably opt out. Its nice but not that important to me

The way to avoid this is to not renew, you can buy a phone from someone else or purchase them outright at retail.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I lived 40 years without a " data" plan. I can do it again

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
you can delay it...but they'll get you soon enough...they did the same with the aircards....they grandfathered some for the first little while and the just said no more.....done deal...
all them fancy FREE apps they got people hooked on....now time to pay up.....

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
As long as you don't change your plan, you can keep the current one. You can add a phone without changing your plan, but if you add the phone at a discount (like the NE2 (that's "New Every Two" for Moot)) then you'll be required to do a new one- or two-year contract, which will be on the new plan.

My phone can be upgraded with the NE2 discount on, ta-da, July 10th, three days after the July 7 date where unlimited ends. <snort> But I'll just keep the current phone and plan in place until they come out with a 4G phone that I really want, and until 4G is more widespread. I already have a 4G aircard. Last month I used right at my allotted 5GB on the aircard, and more than 12 gigs on the unlimited phone, which was mostly tethered.

I lived 45 years without a " data" plan.
I can't go back. I won't go back.
No! No, you can't make me!
AAARRRGGGHHHhhhhhh!!!! :eek:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My plan just went penalty free. Tomorrow we will go get Verizon phones. I'm thinking of the droid x2 phone with the unlimited plan and will just keep it until it quits working.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I pay 29.99 for unlimited when that ends so does my data plan, unless they can turn it off at the 30 dollar level when I hit my limit. For me $30 bucks is it, I won't pay any more!!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I pay 29.99 for unlimited when that ends so does my data plan, unless they can turn it off at the 30 dollar level when I hit my limit. For me $30 bucks is it, I won't pay any more!!!

I was in MyVerizon the other day and actually seen an option to limit your use(cut yourself off) so you don't go over...

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Good that is probably how we will do it when the time comes

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Streaming, but I also download a lot of movies and TV shows to watch later. Also download a lot of software. Buy, hey, just refreshing bloated ad-laden forum pages can add up quickly, too. ;)

But, yeah, I live on the Internet. When I'm not moving I'm on the Internet, or watching TV, or sleeping, or all three.