Vehicle Length

crazy

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
When I hit the lotto, I am going to build the biggest expeditor truck allowed by law. Does anyone know what the maximum length for a straight truck is? I was thinking of a 120" sleeper with a 22' box.
Is this going to be doable?

Wanna go broke?
Buy a truck:)

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The maximum length in most states is 40 feet unless the truck is engaged in argicultral farming etc.If you look in the front of the Rand McNally atlas it gives each states rules as too length and weight.Big !Question is ,if and when you hit the lottery WHY AREYOU GOING TO CONTINUE THIS BS.

crazy

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Didn't say I was gonna continue DRIVING, just want to build the truck, maybe enter it in some of the big truck shows. You don't see a lot of expediter trucks in the bigger, fanicier shows.
I might lease it to a carrier, stay in service all the time and turn down every load offer, see if that makes them a little mad!

I have seen some trucks with huge sleepers that have nice showers in them and lots of moving around room and it got me thinking that would be nice, but how big a box would fit and still stay within the law.

Thanks for the info

Wanna go broke?
Buy a truck

M3

Expert Expediter
The only real way to build a truck with a 10 foot sleeper and a 22 foot box while keeping it DOT compliant(40 +/- feet) would be using a cabover design ( U.D., Isuzu??? yikes!!), preferably a class E unit with the HP and torque to pull such a truck!

DT1160

Expert Expediter
Actually, it is possible, most states do allow over 40 feet IF there is a third axle, most states will allow up to 45 feet in that instance,figuring the bumper to bumper on a Freighliner business class with a 120" sleeper and 22' box the unit would come in about 42 feet. 110" BBC 128" sleeper 264" for the box= 502" divided by 12 = 41.8':)

crazy

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks for all the reply's.
If I did do it, it would most definitly have at least three axles and would be built on a class 8 chassis with engine and drive train to match. I have seen some LARGE sleepers on an expediter truck, but most of them had 12-16 foot boxes. That's all right if you only haul light or b-c loads. My feeling is that you will need to make money and you can't do it hauling b loads no matter what size your bunk is.

Wanna go broke?
Buy a truck

mikecop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Fred,
You already have one of the best expedite trucks around!! I have seen one expedite unit which has the BIGGG sleeper with about a 16' box. They were with Tristate when they bought the unit, but I think they moved on to Landstar.
As we all know, BIGGG sleepers are part of the moving industry--showers, sofa, kitchenette, etc. The Reliable guys are unreal!! One time when I was fueling next to a big unit with 1000's of lights I asked the guy what kind of alternator he had to run all those lights. He responded that he had a separate alternator just for the lights and sleeper goodies!

crazy

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks for the kind words Mike. I have seen the D unit you mentioned when I was with LEA. I think they got in on a gravy run hauling computers or some such electronics where their box size is just right.
Yea, those Reliable guys have some pretty spiffy trucks. I also saw a car carrier called Accurate Auto with some nice equipment. They had a truck named "Showtime" in a truck show I attended and it was a piece of work.

Wanna go broke?
Buy a truck