vans versus straight trucks, also need info on training

wanderer

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi, I live in AL and am thinking of entering the expediting field. I have my CDL, have driven a 7 speed 4 car hauler for an auto aution and have very limited experience w/ 18 wheelers so know some about qualcomm and log books. I'd like to find someone that is willing to train me, but have also been thinking of buying my own 1 ton extended cab van and starting on my own. I've heard good and bad about running a van and need some input from you guys. I'd rather run solo, but most of the post I've seen are for team drivers. Can anyone tell me who might train me, or give me more info on what to expect if I do decide to run a van? I'm driving my wife crazzzzzzzy!!!!!!!!! Please somebody help me (or her LOL)

bret

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
As far as driving a big truck, like I do, the only real challenge is manuvering such a long vehicle. Since you have pulled a large trailer, learning to drive a big rig will be easy for you. With conventional sleepers as a tractor and 53 ft trailers, expediting is a nightmare. Most dock where we deliver, were set up for day cabs(no sleepers) pulling 45 or 48 ft trailers. I've been to three places this year allready, where unloading was totally impossible. Do yourself a favor, if your going to drive a gid rig in expediting, don't go with a long nose Tractor. The best thing to drive, would be a Freightliner Century Class, only from a manuverability perspective. ( I would'nt own a Freightliner, since they are of marginal quality and have the worst resale value in the industry. Hope this helps