van help

G

Once again the bug has bitten me.Last year I said that I had decided no to expediting. Still waiting on my 30 and out, but don't know if we'll get it this year. Anyway, questions...1) Are there too many B units out there to make a living, or should I get a $7 an hour job say at home depot? 2) Are any companies putting on vans? It seems that many are notdue to the saturation of the market. 3) How is freight in S.W. Pa? I am 2 hours fro Cleveland, 1hour from Lordstown, 3 from Columbus. 4) How much start up cash would you recommend? 5) Is it worth it or should I go with Schneider Nat'l which is close to my house? Thanks for any and all replies? DooWop

Marty - Tech Editor

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I think the larger and more important question is are you willing to commit to the lifestyle and work ethic necessary to make this profession profitable?

You (and your family) need to be ready for you to be out on the road three weeks at a time. And do this time, after time, after time.

Start-up capital, location, picking the right company, specing the right truck, are important but not as critical in determining your sucess or failure as your work ethic, attitude and willingness to live the "lifestyle" necessary for sucess in this business.

This business is just as much a lifestyle, as it is a profession.

Read my first paragraph again. If the answer is a SOLID YES, then you'll find yourself working with a GREAT group of helpful folks!

Marty

mustang

Expert Expediter
martys advice is excellent. if you are unsure of the expediting business, i would suggest that you try driving for someone else for awhile. check this web site for drivers wanted, theres lots of them. give it a try before making a commitment. good luck.

G

Marty's advice is right on the mark. Unless your ready to "live the life" all the startup $$ and the best truck and company in the world will cause you nothing but grief.

In todays world, I can only make money by staying out 21-24 days a month. But if I do, the $$ is good!

Buckeye Hauler