Van floor setup

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I found one photo of the floor of my van on a long forgotten memory card. It doesn't show a lot but it does clearly show how one sheet of plywood can be cut to create a floor flush with two rows of e-track. I also added a 4 foot width of e-track just inside the back doors with only enough clearance for a strap connector to allow the doors to shut. I could strap and contain anything that could be put into the van. van floor.jpg

SpiritBear

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
But how do I attach it? I am at my wits end searching the Internet for information on how to do this.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We also put a bead of adhesive down each rib of the floor the plywood rested on. I don't remember which kind anymore.

Reactions: SpiritBear

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
If you are concerned that your measurements or planing for the holes may not be correct, why not let a professional do that work for you.
Everyone is not comfortable doing some tasks.

Stay safe
KG

Reactions: SpiritBear

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I took mine to a professional and had it done. About $300 for the install plus about $70 for the plywood (i bought it at Home Depot.)

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had my etrack welded in, wood cut to fit around it and construction adhesive to glue it place, new owner of the van left it as is,

Sent from my iPad using EO Forums

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A local car repair shop installed the etrack for me so they made sure to only drill and bolt it at safe spots. We only used the adhesive for the plywood. I don't remember what it was but it held it fine.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you have a GM or Ford van with 50" high doors you want to be careful with floor thickness. I glued ⅜ plywood as a sub floor using construction adhesive. I put a dab of adhesive every few feet along the floor ribs. Kinda like Brylcreem. Just enough to hold the plywood.

I then laid the E-Track, making sure the bolt holes lined up with the raised floor ribs. I used stainless steel bolts, nuts and lock washers wherever possible. GM van have sheet metal pan on the underside of the van from the rear forward about 2 feet, making it impossible to run bolts. Here I used self-tapping screws, drilling a small pilot hole first.

Caution: Before drilling any holes make sure you know where you are drilling. There are all kinds of crazyass stuff like gas lines, brake lines, gas tanks etc. on the underside. Be careful!

After the E-Track was secured I filled in the spaces between the runs with ½ composite board planks (½ plywood works fine) screwing it into the subfloor. This installation leaves the E-Track slightly recessed allowing pallets to easily slide along the floor.

At the door end I installed a length of vertical E-Track to protect the ends of the floor and to provide additional securing points. I finished it off by spraying a rubberized undercoating on all of the protruding screw tips and nuts on the under side of the van. I would recommend spending a few bucks more and go with galvanized E-Track.

Here are a few links pertaining to cargo van flooring and securement.
Help With Plywood Floor