Using Snow Chains

Big Scooter

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Haven't had to use snow chains yet and am realizing that I know very little about them. Will someone recite some of your experiences with their use and give some info on which type are best and how to put them on, etc. Haven't seen this one addressed by anyone yet.
Thanks a bunch.

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
:) You may want to advise what type of unit you are operating to get the exact info you need. I run a van and have been running going on 4 years and have not used them yet. I do know that some mountain passes require them in California.

Christyrose

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Oh, its that time of year again!! The mention of snow chains we cringe. Utah, Wyoming, Washington, Nevada, Oregon and Colorado require that you have chains on the truck. Cabage, Donner, Grapevine, and Flagstaff, Az have signs that will flash to warn you that you must chain up before going any further. If your in these areas and are stopped at the chain up areas and you do not have chains on the truck you can and will receive a ticket up to 500.00/or more if DOT/State Police are present. (even if you have no use for chains, they must be on the truck from September to April)

We got caught up in Flagstaff, AZ one winter,in our big truck, spent the nite up there because the roads where closed down. When they open the roads it was still bad. The police decided to shut the roads down again after all the big trucks where on the road. They where allowing one truck at a time to head up the mountain, as they where laying down sand. Well it was to late for a few trucks. Its very scary, to see one of those big trucks rolling backwards on ice.

Now, with our D unit, we do not head west after October and return after mid April. If the roads are that bad where chains are required it is so much better just to shut down for the time till the roads are open again. Your safety is always number one, no matter what any dispatcher says about a HOT LOAD. :p

Oh now about applying the chains, for a new person about 15 minuets per tire. }>

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I run the Western States frequently and carry a set of chains in the truck as some states require you to have them period. However they have never been out of the bag and I have no idea how to put them on.My personal feeling is if the State highway DOT believes that conditions require chains my policy is to stop until this requirement is lifted. I have never been in this position so I don!t know how Fedex CC dispatch would respond to that.They preach safety but as we all know the real priority is getting the freight in on time.Two years ago on I 90 in Ellenton Washington conditions were so-so,pretty mushy but still not chain up time. We had a Haz?mat load on board going to Rochester NY and the State Patrol ordered us off the Highway to wait until daylight.Fine by us but Dispatch was quite upset until I gave them the Officer!s badge # and suggested they call his unit to confirm this. They felt that if chains were not required I should keep going,easy to say that in a nice warm building 2000 miles away.
I do know on Donner Pass there are many small garages that will install and remove chains for a fee.It probably would be wise to attempt to install them on a nice warm day in dry conditions so when if and when the time actually comes if the State Police make you install them you can do it,hopefully that won!t happen. Just got back from 5 very pleasant days in Key West Florida,where the only thing chains do are to anchor boats.Great weather and as our Candian friend Jim Bunting once said"I was forced to do quality control tasting on Coors Light frequently".

sunset

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
i had to use chains once in the last 9 years i've been driving. that was about 2 years ago. it wasn't that bad to put them on yourself. it took me about 40 minutes to put them on my truck and trailer and about 15 to take them off and put them away. i do know that panther will not pay you for putting them on they say if it is required to have them put on its your driving responsibility. i don't and didn't agree then but i still did it. you just have to make sure that they pay you back somehow in the future. it isn't as bad as some drivers think it is however i would rather run about 200 miles outta my way to go around those states than put them on cause of how slow you've gotta drive once you get them on. 40 mph is about it. so if at all possible get them to pay to go around. like the last time i heard about a storm going across donner and nevada on 80 i dropped down outta salt lake city and put on an extra 10 miles to go to barstow and across and up to san francisco. well worth it for time wise. i don't think i asked to get paid for routing aaround that time but if thee weather man says possible road shut down i think most companies will pay to go around rather than have the freight sitting in the rest area somewhere along the way. but if you have to put the chains on cause you got caught with your pants down just make sure you use the tool that comes with them and tighten them up. ask someone on the road and they will explain how to put them on for you. those services on the side that put them on for you charge 40 bucks per axle to put them on then you still get to take them off on the other side of the hill. happy truckin':7

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
As far as a single driven axle D unit is concerned, if the truck is loaded and equipped with agressive treaded drive type tires, snow chains are not necessary. The weight on the axle with these tires, provided they have deep tread, will give the best of traction in the snow. NOTHING will get traction on ice- NOTHING! Not even a tracked Caterpillar bulldozer.
Reason they are needed on twin screws? (Tractors) They have a thing called an inter-axle differential- a differential between the drive axles. What happens on slick surfaces is when one axle slips, they both slip. Most units have an inter-axle lockout, which helps but when the drive axle weight is distributed evenly between both axles, even that doesn't help much for traction, esp. when a tractor-trailer's drive axles are pulling weight behind it and pushing weight in front of it. Most challenging for a tractor-trailer, but not so much of a problem for a D unit. When you feel a D unit start to skid or spin, simply let off the throttle and it will straighten itself out. Once straight, moderate braking can be used, along with downshifting to get control.