Thanks in advance

BigWayne
Alaska
'come up and visit sometime'

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
RE: Used Truck Values?

Welcome to EO! Outside of a dealer, I don't know of a single source for that kind of information. I do know that this web site has one of the largest inventories of Used Straight Trucks for sale on the WWW.

I suggest the following:

1. Call a dealer like Freightliner of Knoxville who deals alot in Straight Trucks and ask for a "general" value on the truck. Ask for Dan Tilley.

2. Search through our straight trucks for sale and note the average selling price.

3. Take your truck to local dealer and ask for the value on the truck.

Good luck!

Lawrence
Expediters Online.Com

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

It's not Kelley or Edmonds but www.trucktraderonline can give you a good idea of what your truck is worth based on what it is and how it is equipped compared to other trucks on the used market. It would be too difficult to make a "book value" on a straight truck due to all the variations that can be put on the chassis. For instance, take two 1995 Freightliner FL70's. One is a 16' dry box truck with Cummins B5.9, 6 speed, 300k miles. The other '95 FL70 is a 16' Hackney insulated reefer with Carrier unit, Cummins C8.3, 9 speed, 100k miles. Truck #2 is worth more than double the value of truck #1.
--Weave--

Joe

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Hello Everybody

I suspect that any dealer that tells you that any truck is worth twice the
value of another one within the same make, year, and model, with only a
few differences, is attempting to take you to the cleaners.
I have an annual subscription to "N.A.D.A. Official Commercial Truck Guide".
According to the Nov-Dec 2001 issue the retail value of a
1995 FL70 GVW 26000-35000 8 Cyl. 5.9 (360 CID) Diesel, W.B. 126-270/5 Spd/PS/AC is $12750.
Adjustments are based on other configurations or options which might include:
ADD 8 Liter Engine 210-249 HP (Ex. 106) $1550
ADD 6/7 Spd Transmission (Ex.106) $800
ADD 9-11 Spd Transmission (Ex.106) $950
ADD Air Ride Suspension $1000
The Medium Duty Body Options includes
16'-18' Van Body (Ex. Cube Van) $2450
That section includes Roll-Back and Flat-Bed,and lift-gate, however, it
does not include Insulated Reefers.
The Guide does not include 3rd Party Sleepers.
The "new" Price of my 1995 BTP 72" Sleeper was $10500
Wanna see my truck?
http://jroman.com/mytruck.htm
The folling remarks are included on page vi
Medium Duty Trucks are not included in the Mileage
Considerations chart due to the numerous applications.
Condition, rather than mileage, should be the determining factor
when adjusting value. Medium Duty adjustments should be made
at the descretion of the appraiser.

I have also applied for an annual subscription to the "Truck Blue Book" which will begin with the 1st quarter issue in January. That guide also includes Medium Duty.

If any of you meet me, on the road, I will be happy to share a view of the
past 5 bi-monthly issues of the NADA Guide.

Drive Safely
Joe

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

This was more or less what I have found talking to the dealers. There are so many used/repoed expediter trucks on the market now, that their value has nothing to do with what the book says. It's supply vs. demand and there is too much supply, thus they totally lowball you on the trade in value.
The highest I was offered on trade for my '95 FL70 expediter in good condition was $10k. It is worth more than that to me so I'll keep it.
Harder to find trucks of the same year (Such as the twin-screw insulated reefer with big engine + 9 speed) they will give you considerably more for on trade, as it will be easier for them to sell it. Good demand and low supply. They are horse thieves!
-Weave-

Boy, I'm sorry I didn't realize that posting in front of me was from Joe Roman. Shouldn't it be on the "Ultimate Bulletin Board?"
;-) Is there a new trash-talk forum for expediters yet? (OK, just kidding, I used to have a lot of fun on your forum!)

marmon01

Expert Expediter

All good responses. Book values and asking prices of similar trucks will give you a range of values. Also, as with truck tractors, it seems there is some price variation from one part of the country to another.:+