US Navy ship 'fires on boat in Gulf'

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
BBC

A US ship has fired on a boat off the coast of the United Arab Emirates, US officials say.

The USNS Rappahannock fired on a vessel after it ignored warnings and rapidly approached the ship, the US Navy says.

There is no confirmation of casualties although AP news agency reported one person had been killed and three hurt.

The US recently increased its military presence in the Gulf after Iran renewed threats to close the strategic Strait of Hormuz.

In a statement, the US Navy in Bahrain said that a security team on board the refuelling ship fired on a small motor boat after it disregarded warnings and "rapidly approached" the US ship off the coast of Jebel Ali, near Dubai, UAE.

"In accordance with navy force protection procedures, the sailors... used a series of non-lethal, preplanned responses to warn the vessel before resorting to lethal force," the statement said.

"The US crew repeatedly attempted to warn the vessel's operators to turn away from their deliberate approach. When those efforts failed to deter the approaching vessel, the security team on the Rappahannock fired rounds from a .50-calibre machine gun."

The US Navy said the incident was being investigated

It is not clear where the crew of the boat are from.

The US Navy's 5th Fleet is based in Bahrain.

AP reported that UAE officials and police were crowded around the white-hulled boat, which after the incident was docked in a small Dubai port used by fishermen.

The boat appeared to be a civilian vessel about 30ft (9m) long and powered by three outboard motors, the report said.

Iran has threatened to close the Strait of Hormuz, through which 20% of the world's oil exports pass, in a row over oil embargoes.

The US and the EU have lobbied countries around the world to block Iranian oil imports to put pressure on Tehran over its controversial nuclear programme.

Western nations fear Iran is trying to develop nuclear weapons, a claim that it vehemently denies

moose

Veteran Expediter
Oh, that's reminds me,
how-come they yet to come with a live 'Popeye the sailor man' movie, like they did to Spiderman ?

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Popeyes movie that was the one with Robin Williams? Not worth the money to see it

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
I'm sorry I am missing something here.

A US warship opens fire & ppl are apparently killed or wounded and you talk about a Popeye movie :confused:

What is it about this report that I am missing, besides a cartoon character was a sailor that is, for my future reference.

Thank you

moose

Veteran Expediter
In that part of the world this is a 'no news'
please let me know when the navy start pulling hundreds of floating sea mines.
deploy some of the 17 unmanned submarines, or soot something bigger then a .50 caliber.
i might even burp.
:)

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
In that part of the world this is a 'no news'
please let me know when the navy start pulling hundreds of floating sea mines.
deploy some of the 17 unmanned submarines, or soot something bigger then a .50 caliber.
i might even burp.
:)

Well I do hope you are right Moose. If proven true, this could have gotten very nasty indeed and have more consequences.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
I think this is "Newsworthy" here......and something that could bring a discussion amongst us.

Anybody remember the USS Cole?? Moose...remember that???

Kudos to the US Navy for blowing the crap out of that boat with a .50 Caliber!! I would've LOVED to have been the one in the turrett pulling the trigger!

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes you are missing somthing in fact you are missing allot!
First the terroists ignored warnings but if thats not enough, how abbout theese significant points.

Remember the USS cole? October 12, 2000 She was bombed by a motor boat filled with explosives 17Americans killed 39 wounded and tens of millions in dammage
Or how abbout the USS Stark attacked By an Iraqui mirrage F 1 on may 17, 1987 39 Americans dead 21 wounded, milions in dammages,
Or how abbout Pearl Harbor December 7, 1941 2402 Americians dead 1,282 wounded. Untold ammounts of dammages.

Unprovoked and not to mention major ***** slaps to the United States of America.
Why because our former rules of engagement dont fire untill fierd uppon.

Now, a few dead terrorists and maby some bad press form the propaganda machine is a small price to pay if it saves even one americian life.
Had it been my way I would have ordered an air strike and wiped out the entire town or city they came from. Kinda like Sodom and Gomoria.

The End
Bob Wolf.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Its about time the rules of engagement changed, but why do we need that anyway, ugh, I can just see some stupid rule of engagement in WW2 when the Battle of the Coral Sea started, my ach'n bottom. Anyway its nice to see the Navy fired what they did, fifty cals can ruin your day if you are on the receiving end. My sons weapon of choice was the 50 cal, he is a former Marine. Hooooorah. He was in Recon, they broke things.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lets put the job of the military in simple yo understand terms. Bolw stuff up, Kill the bad guys.

Bob Wolf

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Yes you are missing somthing in fact you are missing allot!
First the terroists ignored warnings but if thats not enough, how abbout theese significant points.

Remember the USS cole? October 12, 2000 She was bombed by a motor boat filled with explosives 17Americans killed 39 wounded and tens of millions in dammage
Or how abbout the USS Stark attacked By an Iraqui mirrage F 1 on may 17, 1987 39 Americans dead 21 wounded, milions in dammages,
Or how abbout Pearl Harbor December 7, 1941 2402 Americians dead 1,282 wounded. Untold ammounts of dammages.

Unprovoked and not to mention major ***** slaps to the United States of America.
Why because our former rules of engagement dont fire untill fierd uppon.

Now, a few dead terrorists and maby some bad press form the propaganda machine is a small price to pay if it saves even one americian life.
Had it been my way I would have ordered an air strike and wiped out the entire town or city they came from. Kinda like Sodom and Gomoria.

The End
Bob Wolf.

Bob I put this news report on to show what the Navy did and why, yes, remembering what happened to the USS Cole.

A serious report I thought - so no it is not I missing anything from this story ... but I felt others had .... going on about a Popeye thing - thats what bewildered me.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
A serious report I thought - so no it is not I missing anything from this story ... but I felt others had .... going on about a Popeye thing - thats what bewildered me.

Well.....It Clearly went "Off Topic"....and a Moderator didn't correct it.......

Nope......didn't correct it at all. As a matter of fact........No Further Comment........;)

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Bob I put this news report on to show what the Navy did and why, yes, remembering what happened to the USS Cole.

they are just messing around, there are days when my DNA runs in reverse.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This type of thing happens much more than we ever hear about. This one just happened to get out.

Last edited:

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
To: English Lady...
Well, Im man enough to say my bad, and I misinterpeted the post. I thought you were like the Comie Liberals that want to punnish the militarry. I am sorry, I guess I just got a little riled up.

Thank you for posting the story.

Bob Wolf

Last edited:

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You gotta admit though, a .50 cal vs a row boat must make a cool sound.

Bob Wolf

Brisco

Expert Expediter
This type of thing happens much more than we ever here about. This one just happened to get out.

Hell Yeah it does.......

I'm Veteran myself.......Patrolled the East/West Border between W Germany and East Germany/Czechoslovakia back in the early 80's. Our Patrol was fired upon once....and the shot came from the other side.

Had a LOT of friends back then that did a year in the DMZ in Korea.....Heard a LOT of stories of firefights that never made the news. (remember...this was well before the Internet..Cable News...AND Cell Phones)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Firefights on the DMZ are common. During the Cold War many were shot or kidnapped. Many that were kidnapped in place like Berlin or Thailand have never been accounted for to this day.

War sucks. Bad things happen. People die. Approach a US navel vessel and don't follow instructions? You get what you ask for.

WAY to go NAVY! It's about time they taught you squids how to shoot!

NOW, we need to allow our ground troops to either fight this thing, or bring them home. This stupidity of taking fire from a known target, not being allowed to return fire because you might offend the one's who fired on you has to stop.

Better yet, put idiots on the line who make up these rules,, bring honorable troops home in their place. Then if some one is killed on the line it would only be a politician, no real loss then.