US awaits big Germany football clash

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Millions of Americans are expected to take time out from their day to watch a crucial World Cup match with Germany.
USA need at least a draw against one of the giants of world football to be sure of a place in the last 16, when the teams kick off at 1200 EST (1700 BST).

A record 24.7 million Americans tuned in for Sunday's dramatic 2-2 draw, when Portugal scored in the last seconds.

The US team's German coach, Jurgen Klinsmann, tweeted a "get out of work letter" for fans.

In it, he said: "I understand that this absence may reduce the productivity of your workplace but I can assure you that it's for an important cause."

The German connections do not end with the coach - several of the USA team were born there.

Although a draw or win would guarantee progress through the so-called Group of Death, the US could lose and go through if the match between Ghana and Portugal ends in their favour.

The USA-Germany match will played in Recife, where American fans are expected to continue to offer the vociferous support that has characterised each of their group matches.

Americans have more matchday tickets than any other country after Brazil, according to Fifa, and Facebook has released data which shows the most "check-ins" inside the stadiums came from people from the US.

Football fever has gripped fans at home too, where the largest number ever to watch a football match in the US did so on Sunday evening, when a header from Silvestre Varela in the dying seconds left 24.7 million Americans deflated.

Big screens have been erected in public squares and parks across the country, while bars are braced for a lunchtime rush.

BBC News - US awaits big Germany football clash

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
0-0 at halftime. I'm surprised. I expected the score to look more like an NFL score.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Interesting. US luzez, big celebration, they get to move on to the next round. Everybody wins. Is like playing musical chairs with the same number of people a chairs. Everybody wins

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Interesting. US luzez, big celebration, they get to move on to the next round. Everybody wins. Is like playing musical chairs with the same number of people a chairs. Everybody wins

They don't want to mess with anyone's self-esteem