UPS May Hire 250 Teamster Jobs

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
They may or may not get their jobs back.

Just as you want the employer to honor the contract, so must the worker.

Both sides should play by the rules.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"Just as you want the employer to honor the contract, so must the worker.

Both sides should play by the rules."

THAT would be a first.

Deville

Not a Member
Supposedly they gave notice of termination to 250 workers but only actually fired 20. To tell you the truth this is a long time coming. UPS treats employees like ****, pushes safety but managers become outwardly annoyed when you quote safety regs. and become more viscous. UPS violates the collective bargaining agreement all the time.

UPS needs a kick in the head.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Yes, there are few jobs in trucking where you work harder.
I'm sure they don't want to fire 250 people THERE.
Replacements will be hard to find. Poor productivity during training would drive Brown nuts.
It'll be interesting to watch.

They may try to force experienced workers from other terminals due to a re-alignment of work. In Union talk called a change of operations.

When you see a Teamster cashing his $3,000-$4,000 retirement check, I guarantee you, he probably earned it. .

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Yes, there are few jobs in trucking where you work harder.
I'm sure they don't want to fire 250 people THERE.
Replacements will be hard to find. Poor productivity during training would drive Brown nuts.
It'll be interesting to watch.

They may try to force experienced workers from other terminals due to a re-alignment of work. In Union talk called a change of operations.

When you see a Teamster cashing his $3,000-$4,000 retirement check, I guarantee you, he probably earned it. .

Im thinking they already have ppl lining up if not already on file.. Learning curve for new hires but UPS does that everyday..I dont see that being much of a issue.
Be kinda hard now to back down on this threat without looking like they are back peddling to the union. I really dont think if this happens they will have any trouble in filling 250 postions.
If these are scattered postions around the country hardly a burb will be felt.

As far as your Guarantee, I can take you into many terminals that have ppl that Probably dont earn it but will get it. But I think I get what your getting at. 20 plus years somewhere is a long time for anyone..

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Im thinking they already have ppl lining up if not already on file.. Learning curve for new hires but UPS does that everyday..I dont see that being much of a issue.
Be kinda hard now to back down on this threat without looking like they are back peddling to the union. I really dont think if this happens they will have any trouble in filling 250 postions.
If these are scattered postions around the country hardly a burb will be felt.

As far as your Guarantee, I can take you into many terminals that have ppl that Probably dont earn it but will get it. But I think I get what your getting at. 20 plus years somewhere is a long time for anyone..

I agree,as with any job,there are good workers and bad,several years ago when wide screen LCD TV,s first came out I ordered one from Dell, it was in a very large box about 85 lbs.,but could be moved with a dolly,except for about 10 steps leading to my house,I was expecting truck and watching for it to arrive. When he pulled up, I went out to help with the steps,and the driver informed me if I had not then the TV would not have been delivered. Plus, there are videos all over youtube,showing UPS drivers, throwing and kicking packages.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
I agree,as with any job,there are good workers and bad,several years ago when wide screen LCD TV,s first came out I ordered one from Dell, it was in a very large box about 85 lbs.,but could be moved with a dolly,except for about 10 steps leading to my house,I was expecting truck and watching for it to arrive. When he pulled up, I went out to help with the steps,and the driver informed me if I had not then the TV would not have been delivered. Plus, there are videos all over youtube,showing UPS drivers, throwing and kicking packages.

As with most things it really depends on the driver. In my old company we used ups a lot. My ups driver was terrible but my parents was the greatest so we started taking deliveries at their house and I'd come once a day and pick them up. It just depends on the persons attitude, much like in our world of expediting.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

There are also good and bad consignees. One of our rare "home visits" was to deliver a very large screen TV to a private residence. The consignee paid for "curb delivery". When we arrived he proceeded to tell use where, in the house, he wanted the TV set up and wanted to know how long the set up would take. He got REALLY bent out of shape when I informed him that we were unable to comply with his wishes.

I connected him with dispatch, he got nasty with them, and refused to pay for inside delivery and demanded we set up the TV.

I DID put the TV in the garage, since it was starting to snow, but that was it. I was not willing to accept the liability of an inside delivery with such an expensive and over sized piece, and would never set up electronic equipment.

Deville

Not a Member
They fired roughly 3/4's of the man power in that center. That building services the East side of Mid town Manhattan. You aren't picking that many guys off the street and sending them out to deliver. it would be a disaster.

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They fired roughly 3/4's of the man power in that center. That building services the East side of Mid town Manhattan. You aren't picking that many guys off the street and sending them out to deliver. it would be a disaster.

UPS has a huge waiting list at every city in the U.S.

Most of the "trainees" that are chosen for the waiting list have worked the docks, starting with the busy Xmas seasons. Eventually some are able to work their way up the food chain to substitute for other driver's vacations, sick days, etc., etc., before eventually getting their own route.

BTW:, the Teamsters we see driving the pups on the interstates, turnpikes, etc. are probably one of the highest paid truck drivers in the U.S. (Including Teamster benefits).

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Just to be sure were all scared to death and wont ever get out of line again....What a ridiculous waste of time, men and money....try negotiating, talking, meeting, working things out...but if 250 guys all felt that strongly then so be it....you either stick together of you get ground up in the MACHINE...

Deville

Not a Member
UPS has a huge waiting list at every city in the U.S.

Most of the "trainees" that are chosen for the waiting list have worked the docks, starting with the busy Xmas seasons. Eventually some are able to work their way up the food chain to substitute for other driver's vacations, sick days, etc., etc., before eventually getting their own route.

Yes, I know. That was me once, and you don't know what you are talking about. Working the dock and being a helper have nothing to do with the driving. Yes, you can follow the loop on the diad, but all that is is a list of streets that route should run in. It doesn't take in to account one way streets, dead ends or individual stop notes.

A driver in Maspeth working NYC will go out with over 100-110 stops. Doesn't sound like much right? When 30-40 of them are overnight airs that have to be delivered by 10:30 am and they are located on multiple floors of multiple buildings, some with loading docks, some with out and oh yea you start at 8:30 am and still have to get in to Manhattan during rush hour. So that leaves with like and hour and 15 minutes to get them off.

Sooooo you get all your airs off & start running the route. Sounds like it's an easy day right? WRONG! You still have to make service on different levels of shipping. Commercial deliveries have different price levels. Then some time around oh say 3 pm you have to start your pick ups and make service on before the close time, but before you do that YOU have to got lunch by 2pm, NO IF ANDS OR BUTS! YOU GOTTA TAKE THE HOUR. But you won't make service if you take the hour. SO what do most drivers do, they will eat and sort at the same time. Assuming you have emptied the 12-14 foot package car enough to move around. Other wise you are what we like to say in the industry ****ed.

So what you wind up doing is writing down tracking numbers and delivering on lunch than manually inputting the tracking numbers & names of who signed for the package & sign for the package yourself. While you are doing that you are picking up packages and doing the same thing. Just think this is like a regular day in April. Don't get me stared about Christmas. So while you are going through these motions you still have to "work safe" and worry about being followed around by a supervisor. Who will most likely look the other way on what you are doing because they know you shouldn't be going out with 110 and you sure as **** shouldn't be going out with 30 to 40 next day airs, but they want the part time air driver off the clock by 11:45 and he is already covering 2 routes so he ain't gonna do em'.

Soooooo where was I?? Oh yea, the supervisor looks the other way UNTIL you do step on someones toes then they will **** you right in the bung hole dry and after a while you get what happens a few weeks ago. People get fed up and they walk.

So, good luck pulling some poor ******* off the line and throwing him in a truck to deliver who has never done it before. He was too busy figuring out his own job. Also, let's talk about the sorting and package car loading line. While it is true that the new zone routing system makes it 100% easier to load a package car (the old way was hell) it still needs to be done the right way in a certain order. A UPS driver is only as good as the guy loading the truck. That's why we all tipped out loaders weekly and made sure they got some Christmas tip action as well.

So you take those guys off the line and throw them out there to deliver and then get some new poor ******* to load the truck(s) because a loader will have a set of 3-5 trucks to load who won't know what the **** is going on.

So let's review. 250 New drivers on routes ****ED, God knows how many new loaders are working and what you have is a recipe for an absolute **** storm of a disaster.

Maybe you could away with this in a rural center that does mostly residential, but you aren't getting away with it in a metro are & you sure as **** aren't getting away with it in New ****ing York city.

Dude, I lived this life for years and I was ****ing miserable.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Roadway was similar, but not as bad.

Until you lived it, it'd be hard to fully understand.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
My dad worked at FedEx home with the puppy logo for about 2 years when it first started. He loved it but had to get a job with insurance.