UPS is now on the site

fletch33

Seasoned Expediter
i usually just read the info here and havent made any posts but i just noticed that UPS is now advertising on here and i was just wondering if anyone knows anything about them?

targuard86

Expert Expediter
My company has done alot of local p/d for UPS expedite (old Menlo). They pay fair and ontime and their dispatch has always been very professional.

Only problem we ever had was when they changed their name we had problems tendering their freight to airlines because their account #'s were under Menlo and the security form said UPS. Hopefully they have to worked out now.

Andy Lazar
Trooper Transport, inc

Big Iron

Seasoned Expediter
UPS drivers are union and the expedited drivers wont be. I wonder if that will be a problem. Didnt they hire O/O's once before to pull doubles from terminal to terminal and it didnt work out?

tec1959

Expert Expediter
Well Menlo Is A Great Company,I use to P/u alot of loads out of Memphis,Tn when I would layover there.That was when I was Roberts Express with an "E" unit..All the loads were unloaded as soon as we arrived at a terminal,Loading and unloading took about 20 mins on each end,They were great people to work with and always light loads none over 10,000-23,000 lbs or less...P.S. Of course that was before UPS bought them...

roadweazel

Expert Expediter
I was on there site, they use Cars - Trucks, Gona give them a call Monday about what kind of work they got in the Cincinnati area. To see about running a Car or Van with them. I will post what i find out.

Jason

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
>Looking at the photo in the UPS ad on EO gives one occasion
>to pause and think.
>

It sure does! I wonder how long until they require contractors to have their trucks painted BROWN?

Rex

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Looks like a white glove reefer with a Photoshop job on the decals. What can Brown do for you?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OH I see you all think .... never mind, it is only an ad.

Well I have met a few UPS expediters and they didn't have a brown truck - only red, white and blue ones (look IS there a pattern with them?)

Anyway I looked at the ad and wonder about a couple of their offers;

# No forced dispatch
# Competitive pay
# 24/7 driver line
# Weekly pay
# Dedicated routes <-- Dedicated?
# Rapidly expanding company
# Satellite equipped
# Flexible, frequent runs
# Exclusive shipments (no LTL)
# Airport recovery/delivery for “localâ€
owner operators

I know that they do have hand courier services, met one f those guys and he had a few good stories to tell about his trips to England and Europe.

Twin Pop USA

Expert Expediter
I see they advertise 10 feet of cargo space for their vans.. I have a bed/bulkhead at 8 1/2 feet. Maybe theyll make an exception?? Anyone know of a UPS Expedite van driver with <10 feet cargo space?

Twin Pop USA

Expert Expediter
Thanks for info, Greg. Do u know if UPS Exp runs the same areas and is a similar operation to FedExCC or Panther? I have not a clue about them

Stoff

Expert Expediter
I have been making runs for UPS for several years; signed on when they were known as Emery Expedite. They are probably no better or worse than any other expediting company. Lately they have been asking contractors to accept low rated loads to appease NLM. The central dispatch people seem to need additional training in their computer system, especially in using the Qual Com. It seems that since being purchase by UPS, the business activity around northern Ohio has dropped off.

Twin Pop USA

Expert Expediter
Does UPS Exp run single van drivers well?? Also I was wondering how big their general service area is, nationwide like FECC or P2 or midwest

jbrbears

Seasoned Expediter
As a UPS Expedite employee, I may be biased...but I think we do as good a job as any other expedited company out there. considering that the economy is in such a shambles, and fuel is in outer space, it's amazing that any of us are getting runs. just my opinion. :)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
jbrbears,

I see this is your first post. Welcome aboard! As a UPS Expedite employee, would you be kind enough to fill the rest of us in about UPS Expedite?

Are you an employee/driver or do you do something else for UPS?

How many trucks are on with UPS Expedite and what type are they (vans, straight trucks, tractor/trailers)?

Of the services listed in the UPS Epxedite web site, which loads are most common?

I'm very curious about UPS Expedite. If UPS has decided to enter expediting in a big way and start trading body blows with FedEx as those companies seem to do with every other of their service, it could be a very significant development for all of us in the trade.

Anything and everything you can tell us would be very much appreciated. While Diane and I are happy with FedEx today, you never know what the future might bring. Perhaps UPS Expedite might displace Landstar as our backup Plan B.

jbrbears

Seasoned Expediter
I'm a dispatcher, been here almost from the beginning when we were still Emery. I'm not really at liberty to say exactly how many trucks we have, but it's significantly smaller than Panther II or Fed ex. if you were to guess between 30-100, you'd be close. we're still in the growth transition, so there's a lot of things changing. I, for one, am quite excited about it!! :D

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Yeah, I used to work for a company here in Tampa that did most of Menlo Expedite's agent work. Had a few opportunities to do ride-on courier deliveries to Mexico. Never took one though. Paid out like $15 per hour to me to ride along with a carry-on package from the time I had to check in, till the next day when I returned.

Drive Safe!

Jeff