UPDATE for those interested.

ron

Expert Expediter
Truck accident 001.jpgHaven't been here in awhile. The accident in 2005 in Ohio. (pics was in Photo gallary# The guy ran a red light into the side of my truck,as i was making a turn on a green light,killing his passenger. The car was driven by an Ohio state employee,and the car OWNED by the state of Ohio. The passenger who died was a patient of the Tiffen Hospital. On Feb 13,2006 I went to Fostoria Municipal court, Not one person stood up in court ( Including Express 1 who I was driving for at the time ) during the court proceedings on my behalf. I was given a "Vehicular Manslaughter" charge on my record,and lost my CDL. "Equal Justice " under the law ? Not if your an out of state trucker in Ohio. Now for the update : Just to let you know the state of Michigan said I could get my CDL reinstated in 2007,the state of Ohio stated I could only drive a car,no CDL in 2008. I filed a complaint against the officers for writing a false accident report. The Ohio police told the state of Michigan to revoke my driver's license in 2007,becaues I was as they stated "I was a danger to other drivers on the roads" As I write this it is now December 2014,and the state of Ohio is still refusing to allow the state of Michigan to reinstate any license for me to drive any vehicle. So the states are going back,and forth with me in the middle with no license I am now 66,and retired since I was 62. I'd like to get around in my retirement years. LOL! According to Ohio,the only way to resolve this is to hire an Ohio attorney,and go back to court,get found "not guilty". The Ohio attorney I talked to said the chances are not good after all these years.It would cost a lot of money i don't have. "Equal Justice " under the law. Yea right ! I don't have the state of Ohio covering up for me like the driver of the car Ben Enders did ! The truck recuiters never say anything about what could happen. Thanks for listening.

Last edited:

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Sounds like you have a legitement complaint, but by using a person's name I don't believe this post will be visible for very long.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

ron

Expert Expediter
I don't see why not it's public knowledge in the Toledo Blade,and other newspapers in Ohio,and the "net" The Federal Motor Carriers in Washington also has the same information.

Last edited:

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
was it proven that the driver of the other vehicle ran a red light to hit you?

Last edited:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I don't see why not it's public knowledge in the Toledo Blade,and other newspapers in Ohio,and the "net" The Federal Motor Carriers in Washington also has the same information.

Do companies usually stand up with their drivers in auto/truck accidents? Just saying it would be a good gesture to support those drivers that make income for the company , but it is a new day ...

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Did the police report say you ran a red light or did it have let's say violating the HOS or was the vehicle that hit you an emergency vehicle with lights an sirens going.

Something is missing from your post.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
On Feb 13,2006 I went to Fostoria Municipal court, Not one person stood up in court ( Including Express 1 who I was driving for at the time ) during the court proceedings on my behalf. I was given a "Vehicular Manslaughter" charge on my record,and lost my CDL. "Equal Justice " under the law ? Not if your an out of state trucker in Ohio.

Do companies usually stand up with their drivers in auto/truck accidents? Just saying it would be a good gesture to support those drivers that make income for the company , but it is a new day ...

Thank you for the update. Ron's story is an excellent example of why when issued a ticket, particularly one as the result of an accident, to get a lawyer. Preferably one from the locale where the ticket/accident happened. No, companies will not stand up for their drivers, especially a contractor, driving a non company vehicle. Most companies will put more distance and obstacles between them and you than they would an Ebola patient bleeding out. Companies want a quick out of court settlement to prevent further litigation down the road. You're on your own. Even if you are a company driver, driving company owned equipment, get a lawyer!

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
While I totally agree that you should always get a lawyer I don't agree on the company perspective. I really don't understand the company not standing up? It is their loss record and thus financial exposure on the line as well as their safety scores. If the story is true (I have no way of knowing or any stance in this). The carrier's insurance company would be all over fighting for the driver for their own financial protection. If they are going to get sued as most likely happens in any accident having that charge on there would dramatically increase the payout to the family of the deceased.

I don't know the whole story so again I am not passing any judgement. But something seems odd.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I don't know the whole story so again I am not passing any judgement. But something seems odd.

It doesn't take much of a search to see what happened and he tries this story on multiple driving sites. Why he came back after the last time he tried looking for sympathy with this story and it back fired is beyond me. The first question is why would MI listen to OH when MI said he was clear to get his license. The second question would be why OH doesn't want him to have a license. A complete guess would be that he failed to comply with some part of his sentencing, probably restitution.

Deville

Not a Member
View attachment 10162Haven't been here in awhile. The accident in 2005 in Ohio. (pics was in Photo gallary# The guy ran a red light into the side of my truck,as i was making a turn on a green light,killing his passenger. The car was driven by an Ohio state employee,and the car OWNED by the state of Ohio. The passenger who died was a patient of the Tiffen Hospital. On Feb 13,2006 I went to Fostoria Municipal court, Not one person stood up in court ( Including Express 1 who I was driving for at the time ) during the court proceedings on my behalf. I was given a "Vehicular Manslaughter" charge on my record,and lost my CDL. "Equal Justice " under the law ? Not if your an out of state trucker in Ohio. Now for the update : Just to let you know the state of Michigan said I could get my CDL reinstated in 2007,the state of Ohio stated I could only drive a car,no CDL in 2008. I filed a complaint against the officers for writing a false accident report. The Ohio police told the state of Michigan to revoke my driver's license in 2007,becaues I was as they stated "I was a danger to other drivers on the roads" As I write this it is now December 2014,and the state of Ohio is still refusing to allow the state of Michigan to reinstate any license for me to drive any vehicle. So the states are going back,and forth with me in the middle with no license I am now 66,and retired since I was 62. I'd like to get around in my retirement years. LOL! According to Ohio,the only way to resolve this is to hire an Ohio attorney,and go back to court,get found "not guilty". The Ohio attorney I talked to said the chances are not good after all these years.It would cost a lot of money i don't have. "Equal Justice " under the law. Yea right ! I don't have the state of Ohio covering up for me like the driver of the car Ben Enders did ! The truck recuiters never say anything about what could happen. Thanks for listening.

Looking at that picture it seems obvious what happened. You appear to have been railroaded by the system and the carrier you were leased to, and shame on them for not standing up for you in court. I hope you find a way to make yourself whole again,

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
This makes my accident (driving wife's car, no injuries) - where the officer perjured himself on the stand at trial, apparently to try and get in the other driver's pants (a young honey) - like nothing.

Travesties of justice do occur ... not all cops are criminal, but plenty of them are.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And now the rest of the story.

FOSTORIA - A 49-year-old man was killed yesterday when the car in which he was riding was struck by a tractor-trailer at U.S. 224 and U.S. 23 in Seneca County, the Ohio Highway Patrol said.

Steve Kanderski of Tiffin was pronounced dead at the scene, troopers at the patrol's Fremont post said.

Mr. Kanderski was a passenger in a car driven by Benjamin Enders, 29, of Fostoria, when the accident occurred at 1:10 p.m. Mr. Enders was eastbound on U.S. 224 when Ronald Wood, 57, of Grand Rapids, Mich., who was driving westbound on U.S. 224, turned left at a traffic signal onto U.S. 23, colliding with the Enders vehicle, troopers said.

Read more at Tiffin man dies on U.S. 224 in car-truck crash - Toledo Blade

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That article implies the blame is on the truck driver. Not a surprise actually but would have been a sign to seek legal help based on the provided information. With that said, my dealings with different carriers is they want nothing to do with it unless they could become part of a lawsuit/liability claim.
Outside of that, you are on your own.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
And now the rest of the story.

FOSTORIA - A 49-year-old man was killed yesterday when the car in which he was riding was struck by a tractor-trailer at U.S. 224 and U.S. 23 in Seneca County, the Ohio Highway Patrol said.

Steve Kanderski of Tiffin was pronounced dead at the scene, troopers at the patrol's Fremont post said.

Mr. Kanderski was a passenger in a car driven by Benjamin Enders, 29, of Fostoria, when the accident occurred at 1:10 p.m. Mr. Enders was eastbound on U.S. 224 when Ronald Wood, 57, of Grand Rapids, Mich., who was driving westbound on U.S. 224, turned left at a traffic signal onto U.S. 23, colliding with the Enders vehicle, troopers said.

Read more at Tiffin man dies on U.S. 224 in car-truck crash - Toledo Blade

There is a lot more. He has multiple versions of the story that he posts on different driving sites including this one. The first time he just claimed that there was an accident but failed to mention the fatality.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
...my dealings with different carriers is they want nothing to do with it unless they could become part of a lawsuit/liability claim.
Outside of that, you are on your own.
My personal experience is similar. I was involved in an out of state accident. I was an employee, driving company equipment. There were no injuries but there was damage to the POS Ford Grenada and a hefty wrecker bill to get me out of the ditch. I was issued $150 ticket for cutting in while passing.

A week after the accident I had hired a local attorney. I had photos and a witness. My case never made it to court. My attorney met with the judge and had the charges dismissed. The state trooper who issued the ticket had a history of writing flaky tickets. I was also the victim of racial discrimination and racial profiling. This was long before racial profiling was in vogue.

My company, a large carrier that was self-insured wanted nothing to do with me. They paid damages to the owner of the car that was involved within days of the accident. This reduced the chances of further litigation. I got charged 3 points (a company thing) and a day off without pay. When the charges were dropped I had the 3 points removed and got paid for the day suspension.

The point I was trying to make by responding to this thread was if you are involved in an accident, get an attorney. Even if it is your fault, get an attorney.

As for the original post; I'm sure there is more to it than the OP stated. The reporter for the Blade should learn the difference between a tractor/trailer and a straight truck.

ron

Expert Expediter
I people at the gas station on the corner of HWY 23,and HWY 224 tried to tell the Ohio highway Patrol that he ran the light red. The officers told them "We're not interested". The police left that information off the accident report. What was this guy doing that he couldn.t see a big truck in the middle of the intersation making a turn on green? His neglience was covered up. They are cops for Christ sakes,instead they bend the law,twist it,and sell it.Their ad claims "We treat every one equally". I had to lose my livihood,so the cops could cover up for a Ohio state employee.If I may quote the late George Carlin on "Civil Rights" on you tube. "Police officers are paid to comit perjury,when it benifits the states case." The Ohio Public Defenders Office refused to even take the case,because I had a CDL,and they don't do driver's license restorations.

Last edited:

ron

Expert Expediter
The DOT officer who checked me over Log book,hours of service,truck had just been sfaety check a few days before,Load locked,and secured. He told the Police officer that there wasn't a thing he could write me up for. The police officer wanted him to "get me on someting",so he could make it look like it was my fault. The officer was not happy to hear that ! LOL! I had dispatch down load every thing that happened the last half hour,before the accident. The tracking system said 3 min before I was hit,the truck was facing west,at a red light,and I was going between 10-to 12 MPH when hit. The accident report said he was diong 55 MPH,The "Little BLACK Box" under the hood said the impact was between 70 to 80 MPH.

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I had dispatch down load every thing that happened the last half hour,before the accident. The tracking system said 3 min before I was hit,the truck was facing west,at a red light,and I was going between 10-to 12 MPH when hit. The accident report said he was diong 55 MPH,The "Little BLACK Box" under the hood said the impact was between 70 to 80 MPH.

Did you forget that you were caught on this lie last time? Why don't you just review your previous post when you tried this BS so that you don't make the same mistake again?