unusual things a gps says to you

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
we were in n.d looking for fuel. we could not find the listed bp stations as they all were converted to tesoro stations. oh and btw many of the shell stationns in tulsa are closed.
so anyway.....gracie is driving back to the route for delivery and sybil, we named the magellan, sybil, says this..........

make a u turn followed by a u turn.

we continued heading in the correct direction.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
I can't think of anything unusual that any of our numerous gps's have said (normally the volume is turned down), but once on a run going to New England via NYC one of them had a complete meltdown upon crossing the GWB.

She kept wanting me to get off at every exit,and after about 5 miles of ignoring her and her calculating numerous reroutes the unit went blank and never worked again. :confused:

STILL SEARCHING FOR THE PERFECT GPS. :(

Also,everyone I know names their GPS.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
from time to time mine will tell me to get "off at the next exit" while i still have hundreds of miles to drive on that hyway...... "then take the ramp ahead".. to re-enter the hyway i just exited from....:rolleyes:

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
from time to time mine will tell me to get "off at the next exit" while i still have hundreds of miles to drive on that hyway...... "then take the ramp ahead".. to re-enter the hyway i just exited from....:rolleyes:

yep. that is the shortest route scenario.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
My Garmin get's stuck an repeats make a U-turn five million times if I pass my location or street.
On a different note, does anyone use their cellphone/blackberry/iPhone for their GPS? Does it work well for you?

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
I like how my gps will tell me to go x amount of miles turn here turn there.recalculating recalculating.when i could just turn around if i pass by the stop looking for the receiving door.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Mine will tell me, "You're getting sleepy. Your eyelids are getting very heavy."
and then laugh.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Mine will tell me, "You're getting sleepy. Your eyelids are getting very heavy."
and then laugh.

Don't look at it when it says that, it might be holding one of those "Barry spiral hypnotic" things.....uh did the laugh sound like his??

usaf6186

Veteran Expediter
My Garmin get's stuck an repeats make a U-turn five million times if I pass my location or street.
On a different note, does anyone use their cellphone/blackberry/iPhone for their GPS? Does it work well for you?

I was in field service and used my Blackberry GPS, through AT&T, on service calls. It worked good. But you have to receive both sat AND cell signals for it to work right. I even used it on a service call in PR. Got around old San Juan just fine, which is a maze of little streets. Jerry Lee

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I was in field service and used my Blackberry GPS, through AT&T, on service calls. It worked good. But you have to receive both sat AND cell signals for it to work right. I even used it on a service call in PR. Got around old San Juan just fine, which is a maze of little streets. Jerry Lee

Yeah I didn't think about the signal issue. Best to stick with my Garmin

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My Garmin doesn't say anything unusual, but I like to set the voice to either British or Australian, so even the mundane sounds unusual, lol. :D

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
so the other day we are working our way from tacoma to seattle and sybil says......left turn on denny may doctor in 2 miles.

umm syb, that is denny may drive no doctor even though they are both abbreviated dr. again she says...left turn on denny may doctor in 1 mile.

we laugh at her expense. again with the left turn on denny may doctor in point 5 miles. then she says left turn on denny may memorial drive. we applaud.

another time and i have to find the correct streets she sounded like turn right on contour loin street. we both heard it.

she is too funny.

usaf6186

Veteran Expediter
When I first activated my Blackberry GPS it was set on english Great Britain. It would tell me to enter the motorway instead of the interstate. Jerry Lee

aileron

Expert Expediter
I used a Garmin for a while and out of the blue it would tell me "A better route is available" but no way to know what it is. Drove me NUTS.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm sitting @ the Laredo J and my pickup is off the Bullock about a mile east of 35. The trusty 465 wants me to go north on 35, turn around and go back to the Bullock. When I head south, it resets and wants me to turn around at Carrier and still go north. LOL... Gotta love it!

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I'm sitting @ the Laredo J and my pickup is off the Bullock about a mile east of 35. The trusty 465 wants me to go north on 35, turn around and go back to the Bullock. When I head south, it resets and wants me to turn around at Carrier and still go north. LOL... Gotta love it!

Overall though, do you think the 465 is worth the money? My 200W is fine but is in dire need of a map update(about 60 bucks) plus I am looking for lane assist and spoken street names. in a new one. I've heard the sound quality is not good on the 465

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Overall though, do you think the 465 is worth the money? My 200W is fine but is in dire need of a map update(about 60 bucks) plus I am looking for lane assist and spoken street names. in a new one. I've heard the sound quality is not good on the 465

No, it's not worth the money. As these things evolve you'd think they'd do less stupid crap. But, this thing does way more dumb things than my 330 did. Here's another recent one. I'm leaving GM metalfab in Indy. You go south, make a right then a quick left and you're at I70. The 465 has me go past the right turn, then make 3 lefts to get to the left that gets you to I70. I suppose there's some value in the comic relief it provides.