unpaid miles

2pioneers

Seasoned Expediter
due to repositioning and unpiad dead head we have 4000 unpaid miles in just 4 short weeks. Is this normal? Are we gonna drive 48000 miles this year and not get paid for them????

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
>Are we gonna drive 48000 miles this year and not get paid for
>them????

If you are an Owner/Operator only you can decide how many miles you will travel for free.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That number seems high. You may have to be more selective about the runs you are taking depending on the company. There are alot of factors to consider with accepting/declining loads. Since your information is somewhat limited, I would suggest a review through the archives to educate yourself on what others are doing with the company you leased. Just on the surface it would seem you are straying out of their service or coverage area?

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
How many miles did you run loaded? We would add the loaded miles together with our dead head miles and that would tell us how much we made all miles. This would then dictate what we need to do in the future.

jwgmover

Expert Expediter
>we have 4000
>unpaid miles in just 4 short weeks. Is this normal?

Depends on the number of Loaded miles, 4,000 D/H miles on 20,000 (just a guess) total miles is 20% dead head. I would think 20% is about normal for the average expediter.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
4000 dh for 7000 loaded sounds a little high. That's over 50%. If the numbers were under 40% I would say that's closer to reality for a lot of carriers.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
11K miles total @ 9.5 mpg X 2.75 = 3,184.21 in fuel. 1.50 per paid miile (estimate) is 10,500.

Take out $ to Owner or your truck expenses payment insurance tolls.

3,184.21 minus 10,500.00 plus your expenses of operations of the vehicle 7,315.79 is just whats left after fuel.

Its not impossible to make a profit from that, but one needs to concentrate more towards a DH in the teens and not in the 30s or 40% range. To much $ is going towards the Arabs, and not you. Plus your burning that log book up for future runs. Unless your in a B unit.

I am basing this off of a D unit.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Last weeks "official" numbers

Total Loaded Miles: 4,314
Total Empty Miles: 269

When it's that busy DH is usually low.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Star..it WAS phenominal and now back to reality, we delivered Monday night and have sat since, at least fuel expenses are dropping....funny business this thing called, expediting.