unpaid miles

2pioneers

Seasoned Expediter
I posted this on newbies forum and I'm gonna try it here. Due to unpaid dh and position changes we have 4000 unpaid miles this month. What I left out is we have only 7000 loaded. We do 1000 miles a week easy with no pay. We don't own the truck. Is this normal? Are we gonna drive 48000 his year for nothing?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
That would be normal if you are leased to a carrier with which you must deadhead back to a small geographic area where all the carrier's customers are situated. Some of the smaller carriers operate this way, but the larger carriers with nationwide customer bases will move you from point A to B to C to D and perhaps back to point B, etc. In the latter example, your deadhead will be minimal compared top your currnet operation.

If you would share your truck size, carrier and typical run pay per mile, there would surely be someone here that will share the typical for your situation. For example, If you are in a D, or large straight truck, and are getting $3.00 per loaded mile, then you can afford the deadhead. If you are getting $1.20 per loaded mile in the same truck, you're headed for the poorhouse at your current milage

flatbedin

Seasoned Expediter
Right now that's a 57% ratio from DH to LH.. The average I would guess is around 20%, some less, some more..

Just starting out, your going to have more DH until you understand where your companies freight lanes run.

Hang in there, and ask questions from your company on freight lanes, and learn to turn down loads if you can't get out of that area.. Most will tell you that it takes a good 6 months to learn and understand you companies freight lanes, so don't walk away just yet.. It cost more money to switch companies (depending on if you own the truck) than it does to just hang on for the ride..