Understanding the Load Opportunity

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I do not that we and breath FedEx Custom Critical but this is how we make a very good living and we plan to continue to do so. The better we can understand the company we are contracted to the easier it is for to make educated decisions and that means also leaning to work within a system that has not been perfected at this point. Like you said in an earlier post if you no like the company move. We will the company and we sure like how we are able to make a living and having the time of our lives. I think of that is learning to work within the FCC system and not fighting changes.

The 4-Star Event is a safety event and not an income event and as such the rules follow along those lines. Our average length of run last year was 581 so I not know what you mean by only taking short loads. The solos do get many more load offers then we do and with that there is an even greater risk of accidents. Have you sent in your recommendations to change the 4-Star event to better fit what you perceive it should be? What are the four main regional states? If one of the those is the north east we avoid the area as if has the plague as we do not like to drive in that area due to high traffic, rough roads, and high tolls. I see that you are a CR Unit and T-Val. We are in Express so we are not pre assigned as often as you probably are. I am sure we do make nearly as many runs coast to coast as you do and also our is probably not anywhere close to yours either.

Why would you think the Council is always in agreement with FCC? Why would FCC want that as they always seem to want feedback good and bad? How do you know that before something is introduced to the fleet it has not gone trough numerous discussions with contractors before it was tested? The original idea or many that were scrapped that the fleet never sees could have been discussed at a council meeting or even with contractors on the phone.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
How do you know that before something is introduced to the fleet it has not gone trough numerous discussions with contractors before it was tested?

Not everything important that affects contractors is presented to the council first. I know that because a council member told me so.

From my point of view, the council gets far more attention from drivers than it deserves. Members are hand-picked by management. No one says much about what goes on in the meetings. Some council members don't often admit to being on it. The body has zero decision-making power. Its recommendations do not see into the future in a way that keeps problems from rising (witness the new dispatch system). My ability to get information from or provide feedback to our carrier is neither enhanced nor hindered by the council. Time spent thinking or worrying about the council is time wasted, in my opinion.

I understand that some council members covet and are proud of their seats on that body. I do not understand why. Maybe I would understand if I knew more about what goes on in the meetings. But it is not my place to know since no one says much about it. That's just fine with me. Our job is to pickup and deliver freight, safely and on time. We are at our best when focused on that.

Last edited:

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Why would FCC want that as they always seem to want feedback good and bad? How do you know that before something is introduced to the fleet it has not gone trough numerous discussions with contractors before it was tested? The original idea or many that were scrapped that the fleet never sees could have been discussed at a council meeting or even with contractors on the phone.

I am curious as to where we find out about feedback or who asks for feedback? Aside from a few automated surveys I don't ever recall being asked for feedback? I also don't ever remember anyone calling us on the phone asking us our opinion on anything.

You are right, we don't know if something has gone through numerous discussions with contractors...how does one get find out this information?

As far as the original idea being scrapped at a council meeting...how does one find out where, what, when, and who about this council? Is this something we are supposed to find out from contractor relations?

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
I do not that we and breath FedEx Custom Critical but this is how we make a very good living and we plan to continue to do so. The better we can understand the company we are contracted to the easier it is for to make educated decisions and that means also leaning to work within a system that has not been perfected at this point. Like you said in an earlier post if you no like the company move. We will the company and we sure like how we are able to make a living and having the time of our lives. I think of that is learning to work within the FCC system and not fighting changes.

The 4-Star Event is a safety event and not an income event and as such the rules follow along those lines. Our average length of run last year was 581 so I not know what you mean by only taking short loads. The solos do get many more load offers then we do and with that there is an even greater risk of accidents. Have you sent in your recommendations to change the 4-Star event to better fit what you perceive it should be? What are the four main regional states? If one of the those is the north east we avoid the area as if has the plague as we do not like to drive in that area due to high traffic, rough roads, and high tolls. I see that you are a CR Unit and T-Val. We are in Express so we are not pre assigned as often as you probably are. I am sure we do make nearly as many runs coast to coast as you do and also our is probably not anywhere close to yours either.

Why would you think the Council is always in agreement with FCC? Why would FCC want that as they always seem to want feedback good and bad? How do you know that before something is introduced to the fleet it has not gone trough numerous discussions with contractors before it was tested? The original idea or many that were scrapped that the fleet never sees could have been discussed at a council meeting or even with contractors on the phone.

If its a safety award why is it finally decided by number of runs taken, that to me isn't very saftey oriented, the more runs the more likely you will have an accident.

If I wanted to run the northeast I could easily make the top 50 every year. I run all 48 beacuse that's the job.Why don't you like the northeast? could it be you can't handle trucking in traffic, or rough roads? The only really rough roads are near or in NYC. And we get reimburshed for tolls remember. maybe you are playing at trucking, with your large RV sleeper. Maybe that's why you can't run the northeast, can't get dirt on that shinny truck, or bounce the fine china around too much.

And who are you kidding, you get as many white glove loads as most white glove units, you are one of those phantom white glove units, with lift gate and all white glove equipment. You can deny it all you want, but I might have been born at night...but not last night.

I could run MI, OH, IL, and IN and take every load offered and get in the top 50, but I would go broke doing it. that is what several vans do who win the 4 star several years running. Add to that PA, and ON, and your a shoe in for the top 50 in a van or surface expedite truck.

My wife has run solo while I attended to business home. She ran the northeast and was loaded every day, sometimes two loads a day. But that's not where the money is. As you know with a TVAL unit you need to be a team putting miles behind you to make money. And that's what we do, and we are good at what we do. Being true truckers we don't avoid anyplace, or roadway.

If we wanted to we could easily be in the top 50 every year. We choose to make more money, than worry anout an accecptance rate and how many runs we do. Our acceptance rate is respectable. We run longer hauls so we don't get as many runs. An average is just that an average, and it's an average for all vehicles. Our runs our longer than the average they use.

The system is flawed, it needs to be fixed. We all know FECC reads our posts, I don't blame them. So Hey FedEx, your 4 Star program id flawed. please fix it.

We make a very good living also. We don't need sources at FedEx, we don't need to visit green to brown nose, or be a special people truck. We work hard, and don't need to deny we are white glove, or take white glove loads away from white glove trucks.

We understand the system. We are a business, we know how to make business decisions. We don't need our carrier to hold our hand. And we don't need to show up at all or most functions so our name is remembered. We are out on the road working instead, like truckers are suppose to.

Last edited:

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter

I’ve gone over a few of your posts, especially this one in the quote. It seems to me that while some of your posts are very articulate, others sound like they were posted by someone who is not very good at spelling or sentence structure. Also while some posts go into details and facts, some seem like they are posted by someone who doesn’t know beans. I’m not a great speller by any means, and I do struggle with grammar at times, that is not the issue I’m addressing now.
I did some thinking. I researched a few things. I was able to develop an outside source, who agrees with what I am about to say.
I think when the posts are very articulate, and very well written, you are copying information that a source you have is feeding you to post. Just look at some, or all of your posts. All indicators point to more than one person developing the posts. If this is true, and I can’t say it is, than shame on you. If I’m wrong than I apologize to you, I just find it hard to believe that the same person is developing these posts. There are just too many errors on some posts and almost none on others. It also seems that the more important the post, like answering a post with detailed facts and so on the more articulates it is. Others less important, or off carrier posts are riff with errors. There are just too many differences to not believe that more than one person is posting.
Look at my posts. They are the same type of sentence structure, the same words used in context, and yes there are errors in them. This is not true with your posts. I think if other people look closely at your posts they will come to the same conclusion. Then again maybe they won’t. But as I said earlier, my source agrees with me, which doesn’t mean they are right either.
As I stated earlier, if I am wrong, but I don’t think I am, I do apologize to you.
I think your personal feelings towards FedEx sometimes clouds your mind. I think maybe you have gone to them seeking answers to posts you didn’t know how to answer. I could be wrong there also. Maybe a friend at FedEx has offered to help you with posts, and you accepted their offer. I could be wrong there also, it’s just an opinion I’m throwing out there. But if it true, you should give up being a moderator and you should apologize to everyone on EO. Posts should be your own, not something hand fed to you by someone else. I keep saying it, but if I’m wrong I again apologize to you here in this forum.
This is a forum to post our thoughts, which I’m doing. It is in the FedEx forum, where it should be. I am not attacking anyone here. I’m just voicing an opinion, with no malice intended, to you or our carrier.
I will say that I do all my own posting, without any outside help. Every word is mine, every thought is also mine. That is something I don’t have to apologize for.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
You are 100% correct when a question is asked and I am not sure of my answer I get on the phone or I email and start asking questions. While I am asking questions I am writing the replys I recieve. You are the one asking the questions I am trying to be sure that my replys are correct.

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
You are 100% correct when a question is asked and I am not sure of my answer I get on the phone or I email and start asking questions. While I am asking questions I am writing the replys I recieve. You are the one asking the questions I am trying to be sure that my replys are correct.

Why not just direct them to speak with the correct person at FedEx, that way they can get the answers without any possible mistakes.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have mentioned who you need to get in contact with your CC or if that does not have the results you want go to Contractor Relations.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I hve found a few problems with this new system.and I'm sure in time they will be fixed.as far as Express centers,they have only been an issue with the customers,Dva has been picking trucks for years,thats why when you see a load out that you cant figure out why you didnt get the load.The biggest problem I find is when you receive a load opp over the C-Link,if you cant find a place to stop,you cant put in your accept ot deny,and the calls on the cell,some you cant even figure out what the computer is saying.I want to say one thing,my last load was dispatched the old way,i was never so happy to actually speak to a live peson,i didnt care where the load was going,I was just happy to accept it from a live person

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
This just came out in the weekly email:

New Macro Brings Simpler Response to Load Opportunities
We will soon have a simpler way for you to respond to load opportunities over your C-Link. Starting Sept. 8, you will be able to press “Reply” on your C-Link to accept or decline a load opportunity. The whole process will take only four keystrokes.

All you need to do is scroll to the load opportunity you want to reply to and then do the following:

• Press “Reply.”
  • Enter “33” as the message code.
  • Press “1” to accept or “2” to decline.
  • Press “Send.”
Until the new “33 macro” is active, you will need to continue to enter the nine-digit load number when responding to a load opportunity

This will really help to simpify how we respond to a load opp. We had to call in today as we just could not understand from the Phone Opp where the delivery was. Has anyone ever been to Wampum PA?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am glad to see the new macro, that will help. I understand the reason for the new dispatch system. I don't care for it much, from my way of thinking, not FedEx's. I prefere to speak with people. BUT, FedEx has a business to run, so do I. My business and FedEx's are some what tied together. What is good for FedEx is generally for for me, but not always. Layoutshooter

tblount

Seasoned Expediter
Just a outsider looking in, that whole system looks like a mess.
If they are calling on a Friday for a load that picks up Monday, it would appear they are searching for the cheapest truck verses speed for a pick up.
But again, I know nothing of that system other than what is posted. Can't say I would want it though.

You know the company is looking for the cheapest way to move the freight. (they are in business to maximize profit) .. and if they can broker the load to another carrier for less you won't get it... or ever hear about it. We are the cheapest trucks they can find that can make pickup on time.

The "opportunity" system is an efficient way to have
drivers "bid" against each other. If you give the company the "opportunity" to pay you more they will usually tell you that they have the load covered.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If you think "load Opportunities" are a real problem right now just wait until run counts are up to historical highs. C-Link will be going off every 5 min, eliminating any chance of rest.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
The "opportunity" system is an efficient way to have
drivers "bid" against each other. If you give the company the "opportunity" to pay you more they will usually tell you that they have the load covered.

Am i loosing it,how can the load opportunity system have the drivers bidding against each other for the loads.Drivers arent asked what they will run it for,the pay is sent and you either take it or you dont,if no one accepts it,2 things will happen,it will either be re-offered at a higher price,and then if no one accepts it,it might be put on a load board depending on the customer

Last edited:

tblount

Seasoned Expediter
nightcreacher;21.65008 said:
Am i loosing it,how can the load opportunity system have the drivers bidding against each other for the loads.Drivers arent asked what they will run it for,the pay is sent and you either take it or you dont,if no one accepts it,2 things will happen,it will either be re-offered at a higher price,and then if no one accepts it,it might be put on a load board depending on the customer

I guess you don't know you can ask for more money to take a load... and if the load is going to an isolated area that you are doomed to deadhead out of, you'll probably get it. I recently met a driver at a pickup and his delivery was 100 miles closer than mine... he said he was at home and didn't want to take a load and they paid him $1,250 and I got almost $700. Same size truck, same 55 gallon barrels of paint although he did pickup about 6 more than me.

If you get a low offer .... say $1 a mile ... and you know your fuel will be 50 cents per mile.... will you run your truck for 50 cents per mile including your pay? You could drive for any major trucking company in THEIR truck and make that much.

There is a reason that companies that are strictly owner operator based make the most profit.... there is no way they can lease (or buy) a truck and pay a driver for under about a dollar a mile.

We frequently haul freight for 70 cents and less per mile after fuel is paid. Maybe if you only look at loaded miles you think you are doing better but in reality you have at least 1 mile deadhead for every 3 loaded miles you drive.

tblount

Seasoned Expediter
If you think "load Opportunities" are a real problem right now just wait until run counts are up to historical highs. C-Link will be going off every 5 min, eliminating any chance of rest.

The overall health of the economy is pretty bad right now and isn't likely to get better soon. This has a direct and profound effect on the transport industry. The count won't go up unless several competitors disappear.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I guess you don't know you can ask for more money to take a load... and if the load is going to an isolated area that you are doomed to deadhead out of, you'll probably get it. I recently met a driver at a pickup and his delivery was 100 miles closer than mine... he said he was at home and didn't want to take a load and they paid him $1,250 and I got almost $700. Same size truck, same 55 gallon barrels of paint although he did pickup about 6 more than me.

If you get a low offer .... say $1 a mile ... and you know your fuel will be 50 cents per mile.... will you run your truck for 50 cents per mile including your pay? You could drive for any major trucking company in THEIR truck and make that much.

There is a reason that companies that are strictly owner operator based make the most profit.... there is no way they can lease (or buy) a truck and pay a driver for under about a dollar a mile.

We frequently haul freight for 70 cents and less per mile after fuel is paid. Maybe if you only look at loaded miles you think you are doing better but in reality you have at least 1 mile deadhead for every 3 loaded miles you drive.

Guess your new to trucking.If we are talking paint,your load was discounted and his wasnt,just depends on paying party.There is no way that FECC is going to raise the rate that much.Figure this,you got $500 which means FECC charged about 850 to the customer,you really think they are going to give $400 out of their pocket to have that load hauled.How about yours being a C load and the other persons an D load,there your 750 difference.

Your going to have to show me how to ask for more money in this new system,where in the c-link does it say i cant do for that price,its either yes or no,and as far as companies that only have owner opps,guess you have never been with a company that has owner opps and company trucks,company trucks get the gravy.Yes most of us run 30% dead head,but i guarantee you I make more money at that dead head rate than if i lease my truck to a truck load carrier.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Your going to have to show me how to ask for more money in this new system,where in the c-link does it say i cant do for that price,its either yes or no,....

Diane and I ask for more money under the new system the same way we did under the old. If a load offer is priced at an unprofitable level, we decline the load. Then we send a free-form message with the run number saying, "Will accept run #xxxxxxxx if pay is changed to $x,xxx.xx." The price is determined by our known cost per mile plus the profit margin we require to move the truck.

Making counteroffers in this straightforward, no-games way via Qualcomm communicates the necessary information and respects dispatcher time. Dispatchers do not take it personally when we counteroffer. We do not take it personally when dispatch says no or does not respond to our counteroffer (which is the same as saying no).

tblount

Seasoned Expediter
Guess your new to trucking.

That's a round about way of saying you think I'm stupid.

If we are talking paint,your load was discounted and his wasnt,just depends on paying party.There is no way that FECC is going to raise the rate that much.

The driver told me they offered him 800 and he told them he would take it for $1,250 ... he said they agreed and he was there picking up the load and I believe him.

There are many times the company will reduce their profit or even take a loss to keep a good customer satisfied. BASF is a very good CC customer.

Your going to have to show me how to ask for more money .

Nahh... you think I'm stupid. I'll let you figure that out for yourself. ...or not.... when we are both sitting in the same location and you refuse a load and I get it for a couple hundred more than the offer I'll figure out how to spend the money I made while you are still sitting and waiting on a load the next day.