Undecided % or straight pay

xracer

Seasoned Expediter
I am still trying to decide which way to go. My contract renews in may so I have a year to stay on percentage.I am in surface exp. Here's my pay on last 5 loads. Atl Ga. to Orl Fl. 1.62 per mile. Orl. Fl to Mia Fl. 2.87 per. mi. Mia Fl to Tam. Fl 1.87 per mi. Orl. Fl to Grv.SC 1.67 per mi. Atl.Ga to Hou. Tx 1.92 per mi. I will be taking a big pay cut by going to straight pay. QUESTION: 1. Will I still get these offers at my percentage rate or will these loads be given to flat rate truck. 2. Will all these loads be offered out at the flat rate anyway. 3. If I take a load to Cody Wy how long will you have to set before they pay you to go back to Elk Grove Village. 4. Does the .75 DH miles include FSC. Its a crap shoot!

JoeS

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Regardless if your contract renews in May or not, all Surface Expedite loads will be flat rate.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
x racer you do have a dilemma on when to change as per the call the conference call the other day extra points will be awarded to the trucks who have went on to sign a new lease.

It might be worth it to wait awhile and see how it all works out before making the jump so that more detail can be worked out with fleet coordinators.

What I found interesting and something that you can track in the future if you are not tracking now is add on the accessorial charges such as, hazmat, New York City, Canada, pallet jack, lift gate, blanket wrap and that list really goes on and on. It will also be interesting when all of the tolls will be paid.

Also you might want to keep track of your dead head and see how much the difference will be with the new pay and not having to give up the first 50 miles.

If I understood everything right though there will be no negotiating in Surface for any trucks starting June 1st.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Regardless if your contract renews in May or not, all Surface Expedite loads will be flat rate.

Really? Even if my contract with the carrier agrees that I shall be paid as a percentage of the rate charged to the customer?

jamom123

Expert Expediter
x racer you do have a dilemma on when to change as per the call the conference call the other day extra points will be awarded to the trucks who have went on to sign a new lease.

It might be worth it to wait awhile and see how it all works out before making the jump so that more detail can be worked out with fleet coordinators.

What I found interesting and something that you can track in the future if you are not tracking now is add on the accessorial charges such as, hazmat, New York City, Canada, pallet jack, lift gate, blanket wrap and that list really goes on and on. It will also be interesting when all of the tolls will be paid.

Also you might want to keep track of your dead head and see how much the difference will be with the new pay and not having to give up the first 50 miles.

If I understood everything right though there will be no negotiating in Surface for any trucks starting June 1st.

As for the incentives such as $75 extra bucks for hazmat. No thank you i won't touch haz for that. They say were getting the extra regardless of whether or not they charge the customer more. Yea right i wasn't born yesterday no carrier under the sun will haul hazmat for the same price as any other load. The incentives won't do me any good i make more than that now.

And as for giving up the first 50 miles i don't give them up now if my wheels are turning it cost me money. Regardless if i'm loaded or empty it's about all miles.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I am still trying to decide which way to go. My contract renews in may so I have a year to stay on percentage.I am in surface exp. Here's my pay on last 5 loads. Atl Ga. to Orl Fl. 1.62 per mile. Orl. Fl to Mia Fl. 2.87 per. mi. Mia Fl to Tam. Fl 1.87 per mi. Orl. Fl to Grv.SC 1.67 per mi. Atl.Ga to Hou. Tx 1.92 per mi. I will be taking a big pay cut by going to straight pay. QUESTION: 1. Will I still get these offers at my percentage rate or will these loads be given to flat rate truck. 2. Will all these loads be offered out at the flat rate anyway. 3. If I take a load to Cody Wy how long will you have to set before they pay you to go back to Elk Grove Village. 4. Does the .75 DH miles include FSC. Its a crap shoot!

How many of those loads were negotiated?
My understanding is the loads will be offered on percentage to trucks that are on percentage and at flat rate to trucks that are on flat rate. Meaning percentage trucks will still see those discounted $.90 rates but flat rate will not.
Since there will be no negotiating it will all be a take it or leave it situation.
The rate for DH is $.75 loaded from mile 1 plus fuel surcharge. (appendix II, 5. (a))

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I'll take take $75 for HAZMAT. On a 300 mile run that's $.25 a mile.
On a 1000 mile run that's still $.075 a mile.

As for the incentives such as $75 extra bucks for hazmat. No thank you i won't touch haz for that. They say were getting the extra regardless of whether or not they charge the customer more. Yea right i wasn't born yesterday no carrier under the sun will haul hazmat for the same price as any other load. The incentives won't do me any good i make more than that now.

And as for giving up the first 50 miles i don't give them up now if my wheels are turning it cost me money. Regardless if i'm loaded or empty it's about all miles.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using EO Forums mobile app

JoeS

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Really? Even if my contract with the carrier agrees that I shall be paid as a percentage of the rate charged to the customer?

Really.
From Monday's Fleet Bulletin:

"As a reminder, when the new plan goes into effect on June 1, there will be no more negotiation on rates for individual Surface Expedite shipments, regardless of your pay plan. "

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter

The offer to you will be percentage, u just can't negotiate. Which we get 1 maybe 2 offers a week that we don't have to negotiate on.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
That's correct. No negotiation. You get the rate offered according to your pay plan.
So a percentage truck will see different rates than a flat rate truck. Maybe better, maybe worse.

Really.

"As a reminder, when the new plan goes into effect on June 1, there will be no more negotiation on rates for individual Surface Expedite shipments, regardless of your pay plan. "

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Really.

Really need that sarcasm font.

Negotiations have zero to do with percentage nor flat rate.

The new pay plan goes into effect for those that have agreed to it. We have not.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

aimeejos

Active Expediter
As far a points in the system for flat rate acceptance- that's BS!
X-racer... What size unit are you? The rates $1.67 are way to low for a E unit if u are E. I have see new guys next to me in TX taking a load to California 40000 lbs for a $1.50 that's why we are getting screw now. Those guys running so low are setting the rates in fedex eyes but will be out of business in 6 months- then this is what happens to the rest of us.

JoeS

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Really need that sarcasm font.

Negotiations have zero to do with percentage nor flat rate.

The new pay plan goes into effect for those that have agreed to it. We have not.

Sarcasm font???? It all looks the same to me.

Do you really think Fedex is going to offer you a surface load that pays more just because your on a percentage contract? Get real.
If they did, it would undermine their flat rate initiative.
From everything I have read and heard, it is my understanding that the percentage rate offered to your truck will be equal to the flat rate.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Sarcasm font???? It all looks the same to me.

Do you really think Fedex is going to offer you a surface load that pays more just because your on a percentage contract? Get real.
If they did, it would undermine their flat rate initiative.
From everything I have read and heard, it is my understanding that the percentage rate offered to your truck will be equal to the flat rate.

That would be a violation of the lease agreement and would get fedex in a lawsuit. They will offer the 59.5% people 59.5% of the load regardless if it's more or less than the flat rate offer. Now thing is most offers that are 59.5 % are less than what the flat rate will be. Only occasionally will they be higher. It won't undermine anything and at worst most people will fall off percentage in December and the rest by May of 2015. But remember the flat rate has more points in the cue so if you accept the $1.85/mile 59.5% offer and the flat rate guy beside you accepts the flat rate offer he gets it. It's not a loss in FedEx's eyes if you stay on at percentage and they aren't going to lower the offer and risk a lawsuit.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Arbitration; not a lawsuit. You agreed to it in your contract. Guess who picks the arbitrator?

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Takes time and money for you. They have attorneys on payroll.

Negative media? Mmmm...no.

CCDriver

Active Expediter
Talked to owners who several times have seen FedEx not paying out at the agreed %. When questioned about it they tend to cite prior shipment or airfreight or some such goobleygook.

DON'T LOOK BEHIND THAT CURTAIN as the wizard says. I'm wondering why owners aren't screaming about not getting 100% of the fuel surcharge they are due.

The more FedEx tries to get us to lower our prices I'm sure more of these questions will start surfacing. But as the flyboy dog handler says They have lawyers on retainer.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
The fly boy dog handler said payroll; not retainer. Huge difference. At least us zoomies lernt how to reeed.