ugly side

coolerinfrederick

New Recruit
Driver
specifically to sprinter expeditors, been researching the industry as a o/o, but man there is just so much negativity about the job everywhere i look, probably due to over saturation of vans, not sure how anyone can consider it as a viable option, for what you guys give up ( home comforts, family time etc etc ) and your lifestyle, i don't think making min. 60-100k a year and asking for a few days to be home every 2-3 weeks is too much to ask, i also hear horror story's about carriers, i just want to say you guys deserve to be treated like a professional, especially as a o/o and no offense i feel like its more comparable to working at mcdonald's from what i’ve researched so far

Reactions: brokcanadian

coolerinfrederick

New Recruit
Driver
its awesome that expediting can offer a job to people who deal with mental health issues but that doesn’t mean fleet owners and carriers can treat you like you just came out of prison, ( no offense intended ) also most people don’t live full time in a van, which means making 40k a year isnt gonna cut it nowadays to survive, its no secret what the cost of living is, i love the job but im learning it might not be for me at this point in my life, i feel for the average joe with familes, mortgage etc, in my opinion to make it work you either are young with no real world responsibilities,,, or your kids are grown and you sell your home and everything in it

Reactions: brokcanadian

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

If you’re not in debt, van Expedite is fine.

If you’re in debt, it’s not a good idea.

and if your not in debt, you soon will be :D

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Jokes aside, I pay all my monthly bills on 1 average week of van Expedite work. The other 3 weeks are for food, savings, and the occasional splurge for the expensive bologna, not the pre sliced, the one you slice yourself.

If I had a $1,500/month mortgage or rent to pay, on top of van payment, etc, I wouldn’t van Expedite.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Being debt free is the key, whatever you prefer driving. I bought my straight truck with cash, didn't want to owe on it and not make money. I am debt free except for the house, but thanks to Load 1 and the straight truck the house will be paid off in less than 3 years. If I didn't make extra payment the house would be paid off in 2043.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

guido4475

Not a Member
Being debt free is the key, whatever you prefer driving. I bought my straight truck with cash, didn't want to owe on it and not make money. I am debt free except for the house, but thanks to Load 1 and the straight truck the house will be paid off in less than 3 years. If I didn't make extra payment the house would be paid off in 2043.

You mean paying extra on the principle itself, with that extra money per month going towards the principle clearly labeled as doing so. Failure to label that extra money is not nearly as effective.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
You mean paying extra on the principle itself, with that extra money per month going towards the principle clearly labeled as doing so. Failure to label that extra money is not nearly as effective.
Of course.

Reactions: Grizzly

coolerinfrederick

New Recruit
Driver
i’m sure there are some exceptions, but the reality is you probably wont be able to afford a mortgage expediting unless your on the road 48 weeks a years driving 16 hours a day

guido4475

Not a Member
Of course.

It is surprising how many do not know about paying extra on the principle in addition to the house payment. And, when they do, how many are unaware of the importance of labeling that extra money as for the interest. 100 bucks extra a month results are incredible.