Uber-like Shippers Looking Hard at Expediting

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I came across an article on one of the business websites last week. (Can't remember which one it was)

The article described how several companies are seriously starting up Uber type businesses for people with all types of vehicles. Vans to 18-wheelers. You work whenever you want, in town or OTR.

Two of these startups are supposedly doing business currently in Chicago and LA with more major cities in the pipeline.

I am posting this link about Transfix (although this was not the above-mentioned article(s) it explains the same basic business model.

Naturally the business is app-driven with the goal to deliver for less than the going market rates.

I think the difference between this new business model and load boards, including UShip types, is that this new startup is offering expediting services on a more immediate basis, but for a much lower cost.

Here is the link mentioned above:

Transfix Brings the Uber Model to the $800 Billion Trucking Industry | Re/code

wesaypop

Rookie Expediter
I have the feeling this is really going to change things. I got an email from sidecar (an uber type service) today saying how they are testing out a new delivery service on their app. It will be a courier type deal, delivering all kinds of things from food to furniture--this is on top of providing cab rides. After I saw the email I immediately thought about buying a van and getting a contractor to drive it lol.

But yeah, the way of the app is about to explode in trucking. Good or bad, I don't know. But its presence will be known.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I have the feeling this is really going to change things. I got an email from sidecar (an uber type service) today saying how they are testing out a new delivery service on their app. It will be a courier type deal, delivering all kinds of things from food to furniture--this is on top of providing cab rides. After I saw the email I immediately thought about buying a van and getting a contractor to drive it lol.

But yeah, the way of the app is about to explode in trucking. Good or bad, I don't know. But its presence will be known.

I don't see it having much of an impact if any at all on trucking. Transfix was setup with a bunch of hypothetical scenarios that do not apply at all in the real world so it will be worthless. This other app has some potential if it is run correctly but they will probably turn it into Uship. There are some great ways to really change the expedite market with an app but it will take someone with some serious connections.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The internet has been eliminating the middleman since it began. With nearly everyone now carrying high-tech devices in their pockets and keeping them (smart phones that can run an unlimited host of apps, sense locations, communicate in a variety of ways, provide photos and videos, etc.) that trend is accelerating. Transfix and companies like it are more of a threat to freight brokers than to truckers, I would think. The threat to truckers will come from self-driving trucks and robots that load and unload the cargo.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The threat to truckers will come from self-driving trucks and robots that load and unload the cargo.
Truck drivers will still be needed to unload, sort and segregate freight at grocery houses. Robots are too intelligent to do it.

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can see some value in this type of business model.

First, you already have a minimum vehicle of a CV, your sitting for a couple of days waiting for dispatch to call so you check your app and discover there are a couple of local runs you could easily handle in the meantime.

Secondly, you don't have to bid on the job, the price has already been established.

Thirdly, you might even be able to show a profit by delivering from the dead spot you were sitting to a more lucrative area. (get me out of Florida)

Not to mention that your dedhed mileage overall should diminish over time.

Not sure if this business model will work or not, but then again, most people discounted Uber, Lyfft, and other copycats.