TV and Computer

plumfcrazy

Rookie Expediter
I am looking for the best set-up for TV and Computer in a S/T... I have a Direct TV account and was looking at the tail gate system but was wonder if in motion would be better or a waste of time due to the hard movement of the truck. The next thing is I was wondering about internet for my lap top... what is the best internet for the trucks now days???? Any help would be great!

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For the last 2 years for internet I've used a USB modem from Verizon and sometimes Flying J/Pilot wifi. I got sick of spending $50-$80 just for Verizon, so I got a wifi booster for my laptop, which I love, and now just use FJ and free wifi. I don't miss not having the USB at all, and $20 a month feels a whole lot better :)

plumfcrazy

Rookie Expediter
For the last 2 years for internet I've used a USB modem from Verizon and sometimes Flying J/Pilot wifi. I got sick of spending $50-$80 just for Verizon, so I got a wifi booster for my laptop, which I love, and now just use FJ and free wifi. I don't miss not having the USB at all, and $20 a month feels a whole lot better :)

Well that mite work if you sit ..... and cost effective too... But if riding down the road and the wife is driving or myself we could get on the internet :cool:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Myself and a couple of my teams use the JetPack (Verizon). Works for me and they seem to like it. 4G where available. Works everywhere the phone works.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
So it would work in motion then right?

Sorry about the late reply. Yes we all use it while in motion. One of my teams has a new tablet with about a 8 or 9 inch screen with a GPS program in it. No trouble seeing it and they say it works great. I'll get more info on it when they get back.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I Stream with my Droid Razor to my TV ..and a good antenna/ amp also..Red Box & Blockbuster the movie guy in Laredo fulfills my TV needs..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

TonyD

Active Expediter
You can burn through data when watching movies over the net. We also redbox movies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using EO Forums mobile app

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
I tell people all the time LOWES and Home Depot both have FREE WIFI and you can download or use it while parked, also the video in Motion pack is the only way to go if you plan to team drive etc, I have T MOBILE UNLIMITED and it works great most times but you will use lots of data trying to stream a couple movies a day, I have a laptop and I buy these 32 GIG SD cards, Ive loaded hundreds of movies onto the SD cards and in a small Sucrets can or other very small storage container you can store 400/500 movies, or buy a 2 gig Solid Sate HD and download the movies to it, I used to buy and trade movies and when Im home Ill download and rent piles of movies and then copy them to my HD, it makes it easy to store and travel.

Internet is always done from the Lowes or Home depot, unfortunately Pilot and FJ have terrible WIFI systems, most times they are getting there internet thru AIR CARDS plugged into the Free WIFI, if you have 300 trucks in the parking lot all trying to watch movies its not going to work, Bandwidth sucks in most truck stops.

Go online and find and print the locations of free wifi, internet cafes, restaurants that provide free wifi, or you can get an APP for your phone. Something Ive used with great success is a WIFI Strength meter that lets you drive and move the vehicle to a spot where you have a strong signal.

FOXFI is a free wifi hotspot tether that you can use to get internet but the paid verison is best and you need a good strong signal from McDonalds, or other Cafe etc.

WIFI ANALYZER helps find a good signal, and for good streaming via your phone you need 3G at least 4G is better.

You can expect issues with this via your phone if your travelling anywhere theres hills or valleys or weather...

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
I Stream with my Droid Razor to my TV ..and a good antenna/ amp also..Red Box & Blockbuster the movie guy in Laredo fulfills my TV needs..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

The DVD guy in laredo is pretty dam popular

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm grandfathered in on the unlimited Verizon data plan, so that's how I get 95% of my Internet. I have a Tailgater Dish Network setup, so that's how I get satellite TV in the truck.

TonyD

Active Expediter
I want a Tail gator setup for our sprinter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using EO Forums mobile app

mike1753

Seasoned Expediter
The DVD guy in laredo is pretty dam popular

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

Last time I was in Laredo a couple of weeks before the holidays I was told that the Laredo DVD man got busted and is no longer plying his DVDs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app