Turnpike Turnarounds - Possible???

acvox24

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I recently had a delivery by Topeka and decided to park for the night on the turnpike. Next morning I got a load going the other way. However the service plaza's in Kansas are in the middle. AKA you have to make a left exit to enter them, which means both directions of traffic share the same facility. Which in turn makes it very easy to get back on going the other way. However I chicken out, I didn't know what they would do if I showed up at the toll booth with a ticket that said I got on going the other way at the same place. Has anyone tried this? Do you get in trouble? What do they charge you?

FYI in Kansas once your toll ticket is 18 hours or older, you will be charge the maxim regardless of where you get off(for a 2 axle it's 12 bucks). So if you set up camp on the turnpike your stay might be more expensive than planned

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most turnpikes frown on the kind of U-Turn you're proposing. If you get caught you can count on a fine as well as paying extravagant tolls. The right way to do this is to continue to the next exit, get off and get turned around, then enter again. It'll be cheaper, guaranteed.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If the tp issues tickets, their policy is usually spelled out in the fine print.
Or ask at a tollbooth and get the proper answer.
Quite often they'll the highest rate for a turn around.
I think Fla charges the full fare after 12 hours.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
On the Kansas Turnpike, if you make a U-Turn and exit at the same toll plaza you entered at, the Kansas Toll Authority charges a "per-minute" fare.

The 18 hours thing still applies, where if the ticket is lost or the trip takes over 18 hours to complete, you must pay the highest possible toll for your exit.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Has anyone run the Sam Rayburn Tollway without a NTTA transponder. I did a few weeks ago and have yet to get a bill. Maybe they sent it to Panther.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Has anyone run the Sam Rayburn Tollway without a NTTA transponder. I did a few weeks ago and have yet to get a bill. Maybe they sent it to Panther.
If you don't have a TollTag, then you are what they call a ZipCash customer, where digital images of the license plate and the registered owner of the vehicle gets the bill. The toll for ZipCash if 50% higher than it is for TollTag customers. ZipCash customers are billed depending on how frequently they use the toll roads after their initial billing. Customers with 3 to 30 transactions will be billed every 30 days, if they exceed 30 transactions they will be billed immediately. Customers with two transactions will be billed on a quarterly basis. Your initial billing could happen after 30 days, or it could be at the end of the quarter. Of, if they couldn't get a good picture of your license plate, never.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks Turtle! I went from US 75 to a Plano exit, about 10 miles. I'm still hoping Panther gets the bill.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I dont know about these roads but I can tell ya Canada has no proplems zooming in on a van plate.
3 times I received pitures of the back of the van..Perfect photos..And of course along with the photos came the bill.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

When I started driving this truck, I asked the fleet owner to get an EZ Pass, because paying cash created some pretty scary moments for me: trying to 1: put the money away, 2: put the receipt away, 3: close the window to stop the rain/snow coming in, 4: check ahead to see which lane I should be in, and 5: watch to see which lane everyone around me is going for. [didn't have to shift gears, though, whew!] Doing all 5 things simultaneously was just nuts!
The fleet owner said he would, [makes more sense to me to have it belong to the truck] but he kept forgetting. I started zipping through the EZ Pass lanes in Chicago, figuring they'd send the tickets to him [he gets my money first, so not a problem, right? ;)] and he'd remember to get me an EZ Pass. A nudge, that's all it was. [And if there's a statute of limitations, it was 20 years ago!]
They never sent a single one, lol. I finally went and got my own EZ Pass.

PS If you're ever going to be careless and lose a toll ticket, DON'T do it while driving from Pittsburgh to Philly. Seriously.:rolleyes:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I once received a bill for running a toll booth in Canada.
I called about it and the Canadian had an attitude.
He had a photo of me running the toll.
I asked him to describe my vehicle.
" A silver tanker trailer. " It said Bulkmatic on it. The digits on the Indiana Trl Tag were identical to the digits on my Indiana Tractor Tag.
He ended up apologizing and I told him that Bulkmatic HQ was in Griffith, In.

Last edited: