TT total weight has to be 80k lbs or less...what about straight truck?

intransit

Seasoned Expediter
The total weight of a tractor plus its trailer cannot be more than 80,000 lbs legally... What about a straight truck?

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you have a particular straight truck in mind, and accessible, check the GVWR in the door jamb

Reactions: Jason L.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Only when the load is close to legal limits, then I will scale to verify the weight and the correct amount of weight per axle. I have a 2 axle ( 33,000GVWR ) straight truck.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In the past year, I have only had to scale a load once. I usually am not even close to my weight limit.

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
It varies. between 50,000-60,000 lbs. legally. Depends on the truck.

More likely quite a bit less, no way possible to legally get over 54,000 on a three axle truck and that would be with a heavy front axle and tires, the more likely scenario is 46,000, 12K on steer and 34K on a tandem drive axle.

To answer the OP, not much scaling needed unless you just want to make sure the steer axle isn't overweight.

str8trk

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
You have to be careful with a 2 axle straight ... Most states limit the drive axle to 20,000 Lbs., so even if your GVWR is 33,000 Lbs., your legal max is typically 32,000 Lbs.

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
Some of the bigger straights with a drop axle are actually over weight on the steers even empty, just too much weight with a big sleeper. Usually get by with it because usually axle and tires usually don't get scunitized at the scale house.