Try-Hours home every weekend

tcdriver

Rookie Expediter
I recently saw that Try-Hours is advertising that if you live in Michigan, Ohio, or Pennsylvania you can go home every weekend. Any truth to this?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I recently saw that Try-Hours is advertising that if you live in Michigan, Ohio, or Pennsylvania you can go home every weekend. Any truth to this?
I don't think we have a whole lot of Try-Hours drivers on EO. The best thing to do, would be to call Try-Hours and ask them.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
That's be a good gig, would hours of service come into play in that situation because you're essentially a local?

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
There are surely a few Carriers that you can sign on with and be "home every weekend". We have folks at Premium that are "home every weekend". Being home every weekend is no different from any other limitations you have, like "I don't do Hazmat", "I don't do Canada", "I only run during the daytime" and so on - all of these limitations limit your income.

This is not intended to be negative - only matter of fact, and it applies to all Expedite and trucking companies.

Thanks,

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
There are surely a few Carriers that you can sign on with and be "home every weekend". We have folks at Premium that are "home every weekend". Being home every weekend is no different from any other limitations you have, like "I don't do Hazmat", "I don't do Canada", "I only run during the daytime" and so on - all of these limitations limit your income.

This is not intended to be negative - only matter of fact, and it applies to all Expedite and trucking companies.

Thanks,

I agree with John. We have a number of units that stay local or 200 mile type radius. Everyone likes something different. I would never tell someone they can run the whole system and be home that often, that is a failed plan from the get go.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
What is up with this gotta go home every weekend thing? :confused:

I dont think its a case of gotta go home at all.. I would venture to say if freight was on the truck most would stay out longer and over the weekends. If the work was there.
The weekend work has all but become non existence. There are some loads ya pick up on a friday morning and take it 200 or 300 miles and warehouse it for free untill monday morning. Or ya sit Friday Saturday for a P-up Sunday night losing 3 days..
For me its nothing to do about putting a limition on dispatchers..If Im not getting work during the week I sure aint sitting in a truck stop or walmart all weekend.. That my freind is why I dont venture to deep anymore.. Untill work becomes steady I am keeping my couch with-in striking distance.

I to have seen the Ads from Tri-Hours and was wondering myself how accurate the ad is and how much work they have..I havnt taken time to call them and that would be the simply solution to get their end of the story, just havnt done it yet.

Last edited:

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I dont think its a case of gotta go home at all.. I would venture to say if freight was on the truck most would stay out longer and over the weekends. If the work was there.
The weekend work has all but become non existence. There are some loads ya pick up on a friday morning and take it 200 or 300 miles and warehouse it for free untill monday morning. Or ya sit Friday Saturday for a P-up Sunday night losing 3 days..
For me its nothing to do about putting a limition on dispatchers..If Im not getting work during the week I sure aint sitting in a truck stop or walmart all weekend.. That my freind is why I dont venture to deep anymore.. Untill work becomes steady I am keeping my couch with-in striking distance.

I to have seen the Ads from Tri-Hours and was wondering myself how accurate the ad is and how much work they have..I havnt taken time to call them and that would be the simply solution to get their end of the story, just havnt done it yet.

As for me I can't get a long load on my truck? So I'm just $30.00 from home that's where I head to.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's be a good gig, would hours of service come into play in that situation because you're essentially a local?

Yes, If you run any vehicle over 10,000 lbs, If you cross state lines, besides even in a van its a good habit so you don't burn yourself out. Also its good way to cover your tail in the event you have an incident.

I don't mind staying out if it pays right, I've been out as long as two or three weeks at a time. However, I typically run within a one days drive radius just in case I'm needed home, or the work dries up I don't loose my shirt getting home or go broke sitting at a truck stop.

Bob Wolf.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As for the weekend thing?, I am willing to work any day that ends in Y.

Bob Wolf.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
I hate when you sit a day or 2 during the week and only a short run offered to you. So you haven't made much that week and your only 6 hours or less from home I choose home over sitting at a truckstop or a Walmart until Monday when there's not guarantee that it'll happen then either. If it's busy freight wise I'm all for driving no matter the day but I will wait 3-4 days at home long before somewhere else

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree.
I figure the one day drive keeps me in the North East / Great Lakes region of the U.S..

BluegrassHillbilly

Rookie Expediter
Don't believe everything you read or see. They will tell you that and you try and go home. Not gonna happen. You will be lucky if they can get you close to home at all.
Company if you make them mad will make you sit for a week as punishment. Lots of internal issues with them. We just left them. They are not what they advertise that's for sure.

Reactions: M. Moy