Trucks-Mileage-How many miles is too much ? ? ?

jimbo van

Expert Expediter
Hello,Been looking at trucks-like the Freightliner fl70,Some have 350,000 miles.I have heard big rig trucks can go 750,000-1,000,000.How many miles is the smaller trucks good for??Is a used 2000 fl80 with 350,000 miles a good starter truck?Till I get some miles behind my belt?I don't want to start out on the wrong foot.Thanks for any advise.Jim

mister_newbie

Expert Expediter
RE: Trucks-Mileage-How many miles is too much ? ?

We had a FL80 with a Cat engine. 250hp I believe. It still had 400,000 when we traded it in for a newer KW W900, to haul the race cars. FL80 was a conversion motorhome, and pulled a 32 foot stacker trailer, hauling two ARCA cars. The whole thing was quite heavy, but that little Cat handle it pretty well.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy

for fl70 with that many miles on it would be almost used up
before i consider that truck would have to look at the maintance
record to see how well was the truck taken care of
and who had the truck and what and how it was it used
best thing you want is used truck with some warranty left on it
maybe a 1 year get started truck, but how much will it cost to
keep it running
more miles on it more break down's and cost of repair
if you sink to much money in won't be making it

Special K

Expert Expediter

To answer your question about how many miles, generally speaking the medium-duty trucks with their medium-duty engines (like fl70's and 80's)can be expected, on average, to go about 500,000 miles before needing major overhaul, while the "big" (Class 8) trucks with their heavy-duty engines can often go a million miles, if very well maintained. Obviously, meticulous maintenance is 100% of the deciding factor.

jimbo van

Expert Expediter

Hey,Thanks for all the posts.I was thinking 500,000 was about right.I am bound by money to this area of trucks.Come on all you truckers I can take the truth.I think the used truck may still be a better choice over a newer van????More loads-higher pay-sleeper-DOCK HIGH-etc...Thanks again,Jim

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter

With proper maintenance your truck could last to 1 million miles. Of course you will have at least 1 engine overhaul or replacement. I have always believed if you take care of your equipment it will take care of you. The number one killer of any engine is the dreaded idle ing! Don't do it. Investing in a gen-set is more important today than ever. Between the highest fuel cost in history and repair costs that require a second mortage, it's time has come. Good luck

jimbo van

Expert Expediter

Thanks Glen,That make a lot of sense,I will work on the idle problem.I hope I land a good truck.Still thinking about running for a owner for a while first.Thanks all

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

What ever platform of truck you choose. Try and find a truck that has all the maintenance records. Best bet is to purchase from a private seller. Also check the engine hours on the ECM. Truck may show 350K on the odometer. But may have alot of idle time. Good rule of thumb is, 50 miles for every engine hour. With idle time, a truck with 350K may actually have 500K. How well a truck was maintained will determine alot. I have Class 8 with a 500hp detroit. i have over 800K on the odometer and truck is still strong. I maintain my truck meticulously. Changed oil every 250 hours,oil analysis,keep valves adjusted,never idle the engine. I think you could buy a truck safely with 350K that was well maintained.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

I agree with the above. Maintenance is everything. If unsure on a used truck purchase, have it dyno tested. Unless you know EXACTLY when the oil was changed, skip the sample but look at it.
As far as a van vs straight truck, I would go with the straight truck every time. If you drive for an owner, consider buying his truck after you run it for awhile. Driving it for several months will tell you quite abit.
Davekc

raceman

Veteran Expediter

Everything and everyone I know says 500,000 miles on that truck. I have two of those and they are doing very well. One has more miles than that and one has less. A Dyno is a great test but it will not tell you if the truck is going to have problems the next day. I been down that road truck tested out fantastic and a week later she was being rebuilt. Overhaul on those engines is pretty affordable. Hell you can even get a new or bebuilt engine cheap. If you are just starting out get in cheap but stay smart don't jump on price only. Be sure to have the oil looked at and even tested if you wish. If that is a CAT see if the oil pump was covered under recall and if it was replaced.You can have that checked by a dealer running the Vin#. If not keep your eye on it. Good little trucks though.

RaceMan

---Why Hug a tree when you can sit on a Diesle---