Trucking vs Expediting...

Rob1982

Seasoned Expediter
So, i've made my peace with having to get my CDL and chaufers license to get started in the field. Monday im going to a local school and going to try and get in there to take my CDL training, if not Im going to attend a local college. My question is, for someone starting out, what would be a safer career move, driving big rigs or try to get into the expediting business?

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
Rob,

Your in a tough position without experience. Most companies can't and won't hire you. You will have to find a larger company with "loose" insurance requirements, and you will also more than likely spend months with a trainer as a trainee making "peanuts".

I suggest going to the CDL training and passing the course, pocket your CDL and keep it in your wallet, get a non CDL driving position with the same similar equipment in expediting. This will be a better opportunity to break in the business without the hassle. You will be able to get hired sooner with less restrictions and more freedoms with more pay.

After your 2 years are up then you will have the leverage to jump in a CDL truck and name your rate, Don't let any one fool you, professional, responsible drivers are indemand and worth the extra money.

Just my opinion. Good Luck!!

Rob1982

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the advice John. The two options school wise I have might be a help for me. The one requires that I get pre-employment and they have a varity of applications for different companys. And then the college their big motto is they help you find work. So hopefully I won't get into to big of a bind, but again your advice is handy thanks :)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Rob,

Your in a tough position without experience. Most companies can't and won't hire you. You will have to find a larger company with "loose" insurance requirements, and you will also more than likely spend months with a trainer as a trainee making "peanuts".

I suggest going to the CDL training and passing the course, pocket your CDL and keep it in your wallet, get a non CDL driving position with the same similar equipment in expediting. This will be a better opportunity to break in the business without the hassle. You will be able to get hired sooner with less restrictions and more freedoms with more pay.

After your 2 years are up then you will have the leverage to jump in a CDL truck and name your rate, Don't let any one fool you, professional, responsible drivers are indemand and worth the extra money.

Just my opinion. Good Luck!!

John: could you please explain how 2 yrs of driving nonCDL gives one the "leverage to jump into a CDL truck and name your rate"? :confused:
Carriers abide by the insurance requirements, which generally include recent experience, do they not?

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
I hope your decision is based on conversations with experienced drivers or someone that is not bias to their positions.

Anytime your laying out your signature, read the fine print!!

Whatever you do, try your best to stay away from CDL A jobs OTR, Truckload unless its a local position.

I was able to get my CDL A while I was driving a local tow truck. I received better pay than being over the road, I was home every night, and I learned to drive thier CDL trucks on the weekends. Once I had two yrs in I was able to jump into a big truck and still work local for more money.

You will find even if you want to purchase a truck, a bank will want to see experience. It does not matter on your credit rating only. I also found that out the hard way.

8 years later, I have almost 40 trucks. Good luck with whatever do. If you have any questions or if I can be of any help, call my office during the week. 586-746-1345

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
Cheri,

I may got a little ahead of myself with the explanation of the CDL requirments. However, according to my last 2 insurance providers they have allowed us to hire CDL A drivers that hold a CDLA for 2years as long as they have held a verifiable driving position in the industry. When I brought up the question did they have to have 2 years CDL driving, there answer was no. I too understand what you are saying. But I hire drivers that have a CDL with two years regardless as long as they can prove driving positions.

As far as a CDL driving naming his rate, I have hired 2yr experienced drivers that are professional, work hard, and are dedicated to my company and customers and they do make on average 10% more than just someone that I hire for the same position that just holds a steering wheel all day. When I drove for my past employer I did make 10% more than most and on a average $1000 invoice, thats a extra $100. over the month it was about $2200 more a month.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
So, i've made my peace with having to get my CDL and chaufers license to get started in the field. Monday im going to a local school and going to try and get in there to take my CDL training, if not Im going to attend a local college. My question is, for someone starting out, what would be a safer career move, driving big rigs or try to get into the expediting business?

Well Rob, if you have to make peace and lower yoursef by "having" to get your CDL, you may wanna reconsider your new career path.
Can assure you there will be days you will learn more in one day than you will in 6 weeks at school. Aino safe out here!!!! You kidding me???