Trucking School

Bluesky4you

New Recruit
Hi Everyone - My husband and I are planning to go into expediting. I am on the fence about going to a trucking school to get my CDL-B vs just studying for the permit/endorsements myself and preparing for the skills test with a friend who is a trucker. My husband is currently in school at Sage Truck Driving School to get his CDL-A and has almost completed the program. He feels that it has been, quite frankly, a rip off. I want to learn what is necessary but in the most efficient and economic way.

1. In NC, can I rent a straight truck when the time comes and take the skills test?

2. Do most fleet owners and carriers require truck school?? Most information about this online comes from “school” websites that say YES....you need to go to school or no one will hire you. We are most likely going with a fleet owner that works with Panther or FedEx Custom Critical.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Noname

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Check with your state DMV for CDL-B requirements. My wife got hers in a van.

Noname

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
And I'd take that "you have to have a school" with a large grain of salt. Call any companies/fleet owners you are curious about and ask. Again, neither I nor my wife needed school for class B expediting.
But I'm old and out of date, so ask.

Noname

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
U-haul rents large straight moving trucks to anyone with a license, CDL or regular.

sanbomi1

Expert Expediter
Researching
US Army
I don't know about NC, but in Michigan you can rent from Ryder, Penske and Enterprise without having a CDL
Yup, I'm in Michigan and I rented a 26' straight truck from Penske with air brakes. A friend of mine just rented the same type of truck last weekend (in Michigan), he does not have a cdl. May be worth checking into.

Reactions: Grizzly