Trucking----- Middle class job?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
well seeing we are expediters and NOT truck drivers...a whole different criteria to manage the numbers...you'd have to ask people like Hawk...who actually drives..IMO

Reactions: Tennesseahawk

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
"Yet, what was striking in the legislative hearings and individual meetings was how a good number of legislators and legislative staff dismissed the testimony of the trucker owner operators. The owner-operators often were regarded as not knowing their own best interests. In respecting worker voice, it’s difficult to see why this shouldn’t apply to the owner operators."

There you have it in the quote from the article. We're to stupid to drive & chew gum. Thank goodness we have politicians to save us.

Sent from my moto z3 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: Tennesseahawk

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
well seeing we are expediters and NOT truck drivers...a whole different criteria to manage the numbers...you'd have to ask people like Hawk...who actually drives..IMO
Agreed, I don't qualify as a true trucker but the AB5 covers expeditors in any size vehicle. It has been said that California leads and America follows. I don't want to be told I should be an employee when I don't want to be.

I believe our good friend Mailer is caught up in this now.

Sent from my moto z3 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: RoadTime

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Just from reading the title of the article - depends on what you define as middle class. My last job with Great Plains now pays $62,500 salary. Is that middle class? I make $24/hr driving locally. Is that middle class? I think the question should be - Is the middle class keeping up with inflation? And - How much debt can a middle class family have, and still be considered middle class? Personally, I find it more reasonable that a $45,000 a year debt free family be considered middle class than a $80,000 family that can't live within their paycheck. It's all in the state of mind.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think they define middle class in the first paragraph .....

".... a solid middle class job—enabling truckers to be homeowners and/or support a family on one income."

We are not that.

Last edited:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think they define middle class in the first paragraph .....

".... a solid middle class job—enabling truckers to be homeowners and/or support a family on one income."

We are not that.
Who is?
Nobody i know of.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
People who know how to watch their money. When drivers are scrambling to find a means to finance their way home when their company goes under, yeah, I'd say truckers generally don't.
I'm refering to people in general.
I know of nobody that can afford to be a homeowner and raise a family on just one income. Those days have been gone for years, if not decades.