truck with shower

garebel

Seasoned Expediter
I know there are a lot of options,miles, year, size, but how much is a round about figure for a used straight truck with a shower??i dont seem to find many in any classifids i have looked on! Thanks for any input..

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sounds like a hard find as it would take up allot of space but a cool idea. Best part you wont have to wear crocks in the shower or have to worry about the nasty shower floors.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Sounds like a hard find as it would take up allot of space but a cool idea. Best part you wont have to wear crocks in the shower or have to worry about the nasty shower floors.

All true. But it is also true that if you don't keep the truck shower floor clean, it will become nasty.

Diane and I have a shower in our truck sleeper but seldom use it. We would include it again if we built another truck because it is fantastic to have when you need a shower and one is not readily available outside of renting a hotel room. The freight or freight schedule sometimes takes us where showers are not redily available and in those times, the truck shower is wonderful.

The down side is simple. The more you use it, the more you have to clean and dry it when done, and find a place to refill your water supply. You also supply your own towels and wash clothes.

Think about how it would be to use truck stop showers if you had to supply your own towels and wash cloths, were limited to using no more than 20 gallons of water (each for team members), before you could shower again, and had to clean and wipe down and totally dry the shower (so the sleeper does not smell musty) after every use.

A shower in the truck is very nice to have but it is not without costs in time and effort when used.

Deville

Not a Member
If I was in the position to be specing another truck, I would get a bigger more liveable sleeper with the shower toilet combo & a 2 burner electric stove. Showers a re great options to have.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
I know there are a lot of options,miles, year, size, but how much is a round about figure for a used straight truck with a shower??i dont seem to find many in any classifids i have looked on! Thanks for any input..

The market is very limited when looking for a used straight truck with shower so you just need to keep checking frequently. If you are ambitious, another option is to look for a used tractor with a shower and then convert it to a straight truck. If you search Truck Paper they have a keyword option so you can enter shower and limit your search.
Keep the trade off in mind. It takes up a lot of space which is valuable in a sleeper, it needs to be cleaned and dried, and you need to refill water often if using it.
Most drivers have plenty of free showers to use and it is so much easier to go inside and make a mess that someone else will clean up instead of messing up yours.
As far as price. Too hard to answer because a shower is one variable that will have little impact on total price other than the fact that you will be limited to looking at larger sleepers.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Don`t forget the issue of freezing water. Not a problem for teams and those who hardly ever turn the truck off. Also not a problem for those with easy access to shore power.
Somewhere it will be necessary to set for an extended period of time. Like when the truck is in the shop in December in Fargo. Shop people will be moving the truck in and out. Great care must be exercised to prevent freezing.
Perhaps a Webasco type system would give the protection. I`m sure Phil and others who have showers could provide the answers.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Then there have been variations of small portable showers.
There was a team in a sprinter with a shower running in our fleet.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Don`t forget the issue of freezing water. Not a problem for teams and those who hardly ever turn the truck off. Also not a problem for those with easy access to shore power.
Somewhere it will be necessary to set for an extended period of time. Like when the truck is in the shop in December in Fargo. Shop people will be moving the truck in and out. Great care must be exercised to prevent freezing.
Perhaps a Webasco type system would give the protection. I`m sure Phil and others who have showers could provide the answers.

The answer would be to empty the water tanks and drain the plumbing if freezing might happen in an unattended truck. That is easily done; open the valves and drain the tanks, open the faucets on the sink and shower, run the pump for the short time it takes to force the water out of the pipes and fixtures.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter

I don't know if your in the market for a truck with a shower or just curious as to what they sell for??
As good as it would be to have,, ATeam stated it does come with its own set of chores involved with a shower. If your looking for a truck don't pass up a deal with just a sink..For the special days when no shower is around for miles a sink will work and can leave you feeling a lot better. Not as refreshing as a shower but a whole lot better then baby wipes or nothing at all. Anyone that has taken a bath out of a steel pot before knows it doesnt take much water to do what ya gotta do.
With a micro wave ya can have even have hot water :)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I suspect the reason there aren't many for sale is that there aren't that many out there. For all the reasons mentioned, plus the weight of a larger water tank, it's a pretty costly option.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
ARI and ICT do plenty of mods. Even in your typical factory sleeper you can do alot by adding large(r) refrig,better or more cabinets and even a sink. I always suggest a fantastic fan/vent and at least one opening window.
ICT has added showers to 84" KW Studio sleepers.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
I couldn't agree more. As a vandweller/campervan guy for over a decade, I can testify that doing the birdbath thing with a small sink and limited water can be just the thing.

I'm setting up a nice little self-contained unit with a stainless steel bar sink and a lever pumped faucet, connected up to one container for fresh water and one for gray water. Designed to hang from the inside of my side door, it can be removed and used outside, at a picnic table, for example, for dishes or washing food, etc.

Lots of viable solutions out there for those in-between times.

If your looking for a truck don't pass up a deal with just a sink..For the special days when no shower is around for miles a sink will work and can leave you feeling a lot better. Not as refreshing as a shower but a whole lot better then baby wipes or nothing at all. Anyone that has taken a bath out of a steel pot before knows it doesnt take much water to do what ya gotta do.
With a micro wave ya can have even have hot water :)

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Shelby Elliott is the man you need to see. He specializes in used trucks with large sleepers. He would have more showers per truck than anyone in the country.
He's on I- 57 in Sikeston,Mo.
An exit or two north of Lambert's on the east frontage road.
Another source of "big houses" would be the Volvo dealer in Des Moines,Ia.

Last edited: