Truck strike- rumor or FYI

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Saw this posted and heard a driver talking about it....

subject: Trucks Plan april 1 shutdown
attentionof: news
comments: see USCATTLEHAULERS for more details
firstname: Dan
lastname: Little
streetaddress: 23396 cr 264
city: carrollton
state: mo
zip: 64633
telephone: 660-322-0783
email: [email protected]

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
i started my strike wed after i unloaded here in california,if your not going to load me wherei want to go,im not goin,thats my strike

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
A big percentage of them would realize some decent profits if they weren't so compelled to run 80 mph a lot of the time.
And out west, I am probably being very conservative with that number.

aripen

Seasoned Expediter
So I started thinking today that us expediters could take the lead in showing everyone how to slow down and save fuel. I believe that most, if not all of us, get paid by the run not by the mile. So for us we should be the starting example to slow it down. I can see how it would be difficult for a driver that gets paid by the mile to slow it down, they drive faster...they go more miles...they make more money. But we can start saving fuel and show how its done. I honestly used to run about 65-68MPH now I am doing about 60-63 and I know of at least a few others that are doing it too. If I increase by 1 MPG then it saves me about 300 bucks a month in fuel. Maybe I am just pipe dreaming that we can all do something as an industry...

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
The 4/1 strike is real. However, how many trucks will shut down and for how long remains to be seen. Also, what will they be striking to obtain? Lower diesel? LMAO. A lot of truckload guys are suffering because they don't know how to negotiate w/ a broker. Some big brokerages try and see just how little they can pay out on a truckload, such as $.90 per mile. If the O/O doesn't know what his cost per mile is, he will think he must run for whatever the broker offers him. Turning down a cheap load and then letting the carrier or broker know what WOULD make that load appealing, will do more to turn things around than a strike.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
A big percentage of them would realize some decent profits if they weren't so compelled to run 80 mph a lot of the time.
And out west, I am probably being very conservative with that number.
Hey Dave...you forgot the Atlanta 500. or should I say any highway around or in Atlanta?! lol

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You are right, there is a lot of places they run with a heavy foot.

With regards to the stike, I don't think it will have any impact unless the ATA or some of the larger carriers participate. It would have to be on the scale of how a strike went back in the 70's.

Just MY opinion, even though I am a member of OOIDA, the idea that there are "other ways or measures" is getting old.
Of course I understand the anti-trust laws that prevent them from any real action with regards to a strike.
They just don't have the membership and dollars to lobby for effective change. They are effective against individual companies through litigation, but can't take on the government on any real issues.
Efforts on HOS, Mexican trucks, fuel issues, broker issues....you name it. Pretty much ineffective.
Sadly because of the industry environment, I would expect much change until something of a drastic nature happens.
That usually is a supply and demand issue. When some go broke or get wiped out, only then will you see the rates come up.
Look at expediting now. We are slowly evolving from "exclusive use" to now running with multiple shipments.
Loads ran only a year ago offered by a carrier are no longer on the table for consideration. If there isn't a profit in them, why do them?
But some are. Just a slower casualty

Last edited:

are12

Expert Expediter
This is funny, only because while we were sitting outside the Flying J in Dallas today, and the manager was asking us about the shut down on April 1st - which none of the driver's heard about. When we asked him where he heard of this, he said it was on the news. So I guess this shut down is getting some attention.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
That goes to show you how members of the trucking industry pay attention to the trucking industry. I think that's problem #1... no communication. They shut the cb off and ignore the world around them. I've been guilty of it too; but I check sites to see what's going on.

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
im not surprised . about a strike.....
in fact...... im for it......
wooHoo.......
ok... its on april 1st huh..... this might be a aprils fools joke.... eyy???
i keep my CB on most the time.... i listen more then i ever talk on it.... when it gets to much garbage chat i turn it off...
sometimes... if big trucks will fly passt me even when im doing a tad over the speed limit...... i wil say......
HEY ... u guys r driving wayyyyyy to fast........... wait for me. heh
or if the truck stops are full in the middle of the night when i come cruzin in.....
i sometimes .. might say.......
oh lord .... U mean to tell me there is NO room here at the INN for even a baby truck???? LOL
a lot times that gets me a spot..... ha.....
anyways...... i am all for the support of the truck strick.. i feel bad for the truck owners who have to deal with the fuel cost. its crazy... my drive for a o/O and i do my best to help save fuel .. for him.... he is a very good guy to drive for .. and i been drivng for my owner for almost 2 yrs....... he sticks up for me.... and i will stick up for him and do my best on saving $$ in this fuel crunch.
i get asked once in while... why dont i just get my own truck...
well i thought about it.......
but not right now......

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
With the administration that's in office now..."EVERYONE IS GOING BROKE".:mad:

How true! And the only way to get this administration's attention is with a national truck strike. And what better date than April 1st! We have but a few days to get prepared. We need John Q. Public on our side. I would suggest that everyone adopt the "Buddy System." Get a buddy and drive the minimum speed limit side by side down the interstate. At first this may upset Mr. John Q. But once he realizes how much gas we are saving him by slowing him down, he will be grateful. And so will Mr.s Q and all the little Qs.

We also need a common unifying symbol or icon. I'm thinking a tire with wings. Just like the old Ohio Sate Highway Patrol emblem. Trucks have tires and angels have wings. I have a tattoo of a tire with wings on my upper arm to honor my deceased friend and co-worker Jack. Some of you may have read about Jack's unfortunate death while practicing the "blown steer tire drill." See "that takes the cake post."

On March 31st we need every trucker to sever their crossover lines, spilling forth fuel. Just like farmers dumping milk to protest low prices. Except we will be doing it to protest high fuel prices. Large quantities of spilled liquids make for great video segments on the t.v. news. Large quantities of burning liquids makes for even better news spots.

Within hours of the strike, President Bush will be forced to call his oil cronies in Texas. His message will be blunt. He will inform them that the American people are fed up with big oil, greed and outrageous profits. He will force them to lower the price of oil. With Texas Sweet Crude selling for $50/barrel, who in their right mind would pay Canada or some Mideast country $110/barrel. They will have to lower their prices to stay competitive.

With all of the trucks parked, west coast container ports will become as clogged up as a truck stop toilet. Ships ladened with Chinese crap will be turned away. With no outlet for their products, the Chinese economy will fail and factories will close. Take that you little yellow commie capitalists. You can't have it both ways! Just ask Boris. Closed factories will free up millions of third world children to resume a life of eating bugs, sniffing glue or whatever it was they did before they had a job.

With no Chinese imports Wal-Mart will be forced into bankruptcy. All Wal-Mart stores will close and millions will be laid off. President Bush will call off the federal investigation of Swift Transportation and its affiliate truck driving schools. Congress will give Swift a $1.2 billion grant to open truck driving schools across the nation and offer free training to all displaced Wal-Mart workers. Swift will be so impressed with the loyalty and work ethic of their new "associates" that not only will they be allowed to wear their little blue vests, it will become part of the company uniform for all Swift drivers. The little yellow smiley emblem will be replaced by a tire with wings.

With this new source of truck drivers Swift will invade Mexico, forcing Mexican trucking companies out of business. Take that you sunburned drug peddlers. Swift will also turn its sights to the north. That should wipe the frozen smiles off the faces of those frost bit hosers in Canada.

With China's economy in tatters their thirst for oil will be greatly diminished. Thus a world wide oil glut and a further reduction in the price of crude.

We can make this all reality. Please participate. In a poll conducted by OVERDIVE MAGAZINE; billed as "the vice of the American Trucker" - 112% of the truckers polled said they would shut down on April 1st.

I can hardly wait
for APRIL FOOL'S DAY
two thousand eight

Packmule

Expert Expediter
RAVE ON MOOT, RAVE ON!!!!!!

"With all of the trucks parked, west coast container ports will become as clogged up as a truck stop toilet."
SPOKEN LIKE A MAN OF THE WORLD!!!

"With no Chinese imports Wal-Mart will be forced into bankruptcy. "
DOES THIS MEAN WE HAVE TO BUY AMERICAN GOODS AND PAY MORE FOR THE QUALITY???

"Take that you little yellow commie capitalists."
TELL IT LIKE IT IS MOOT!!

"112% of the truckers polled said they would shut down on April 1st."
WITH THAT MATH, HOW DO THEY KNOW IF THEY ARE LOOSING MONEY OR NOT ?!?!

MOOT FOR PREZ.
It's never too late

rdtrpn

Seasoned Expediter
Saw this posted and heard a driver talking about it....

subject: Trucks Plan april 1 shutdown
attentionof: news
comments: see USCATTLEHAULERS for more details
firstname: Dan
lastname: Little
streetaddress: 23396 cr 264
city: carrollton
state: mo
zip: 64633
telephone: 660-322-0783
email: [email protected]

I've been talking about a truck strike for weeks now, look at my past posts.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Very good post Moot. I wish it would all come ture. Everyone is putting their money in oil right now and that is part of the reason behind the high cost of oil. A strike sounds great, but you can't get two driver to agree on anything. How about slowing your truck down to 59 mph to save fuel. If everyone does that, then we aren't getting 7.4 mpg in a D unit we are getting 10.3 mpg.

I just did a trip with my wife and I wanted to see how much money I would save by slowing my truck down. I ran at 59 mph and went from getting 7.4 mpg to 10.3. So if I was to run 100,000 miles in a year and get 7.4 mpg I would use 13,513.51 gallons of fuel. With fuel at $4.00 a gallon that would cost me $54,054.04 for the year. By slowing the truck down to 59 mph and getting 10.3 mpg I would only have to buy 9,708.74 gallons based on 100,000 miles ran in a year. That is 3,804.77 gallons I didn't have to buy and I would save $15,219.08 on fuel for the year based on $4.00 per gallon. Thats alot of money people, more than some make in a year.

Another thing when your filling your truck up set your pumps on slow. You get more fuel and less vapors in the tank. Try to fill your truck up at night when the ground is cold because fuel explans in the heat and your not getting a true gallon of fuel when you fuel during the day. You can check all this on the web. Be safe

Last edited:

Critter Truckin

Expert Expediter
I've been talking about a truck strike for weeks now, look at my past posts.

Oh, so you're the one that's been talking about this. Hate to burst your bubble, but this crap has been talked about ever since I started driving in 2005. Would seem that you're a little behind on the times. Besides, if the spooks in the federal guvment hear you saying stuff like that, that's like, collusion and stuff.

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
How true! And the only way to get this administration's attention is with a national truck strike. And what better date than April 1st! We have but a few days to get prepared. We need John Q. Public on our side. I would suggest that everyone adopt the "Buddy System." Get a buddy and drive the minimum speed limit side by side down the interstate. At first this may upset Mr. John Q. But once he realizes how much gas we are saving him by slowing him down, he will be grateful. And so will Mr.s Q and all the little Qs.

We also need a common unifying symbol or icon. I'm thinking a tire with wings. Just like the old Ohio Sate Highway Patrol emblem. Trucks have tires and angels have wings. I have a tattoo of a tire with wings on my upper arm to honor my deceased friend and co-worker Jack. Some of you may have read about Jack's unfortunate death while practicing the "blown steer tire drill." See "that takes the cake post."

On March 31st we need every trucker to sever their crossover lines, spilling forth fuel. Just like farmers dumping milk to protest low prices. Except we will be doing it to protest high fuel prices. Large quantities of spilled liquids make for great video segments on the t.v. news. Large quantities of burning liquids makes for even better news spots.

Within hours of the strike, President Bush will be forced to call his oil cronies in Texas. His message will be blunt. He will inform them that the American people are fed up with big oil, greed and outrageous profits. He will force them to lower the price of oil. With Texas Sweet Crude selling for $50/barrel, who in their right mind would pay Canada or some Mideast country $110/barrel. They will have to lower their prices to stay competitive.

With all of the trucks parked, west coast container ports will become as clogged up as a truck stop toilet. Ships ladened with Chinese crap will be turned away. With no outlet for their products, the Chinese economy will fail and factories will close. Take that you little yellow commie capitalists. You can't have it both ways! Just ask Boris. Closed factories will free up millions of third world children to resume a life of eating bugs, sniffing glue or whatever it was they did before they had a job.

With no Chinese imports Wal-Mart will be forced into bankruptcy. All Wal-Mart stores will close and millions will be laid off. President Bush will call off the federal investigation of Swift Transportation and its affiliate truck driving schools. Congress will give Swift a $1.2 billion grant to open truck driving schools across the nation and offer free training to all displaced Wal-Mart workers. Swift will be so impressed with the loyalty and work ethic of their new "associates" that not only will they be allowed to wear their little blue vests, it will become part of the company uniform for all Swift drivers. The little yellow smiley emblem will be replaced by a tire with wings.

With this new source of truck drivers Swift will invade Mexico, forcing Mexican trucking companies out of business. Take that you sunburned drug peddlers. Swift will also turn its sights to the north. That should wipe the frozen smiles off the faces of those frost bit hosers in Canada.

With China's economy in tatters their thirst for oil will be greatly diminished. Thus a world wide oil glut and a further reduction in the price of crude.

We can make this all reality. Please participate. In a poll conducted by OVERDIVE MAGAZINE; billed as "the vice of the American Trucker" - 112% of the truckers polled said they would shut down on April 1st.

I can hardly wait
for APRIL FOOL'S DAY
two thousand eight

i was just on my CB a lil while ago at a full trck stop and the drivers r talking april 3rd ....