Truck ride

fketchum

Seasoned Expediter
Ok so im finally on the road with fedex cc and im loving it so far EXCEPT the straight truck we are driving seems to give a very rough ride. This being me first st truck expirence im not sure how this truck(from now on known as sally) should ride. When I was in a tractor the ride was 100 % better. Some times my head would hit the celing if I wasn't seat belted in. Im pretty sure we need front shocks. If I get them replaced would sally be more managable?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Straight truck ride quality varies greatly between trucks. Diane and I have seen it where we are driving along side another straight truck and that driver is being bounced around in his seat while everything is smooth in ours.

Having driven a few different trucks, we found that the single most improvement in ride comfort comes from having tandem rear axles on the ground (drive axles, not a drive and a lift axle) instead of a single rear axle.

We have been told that a Class 8 truck rides better than a Class 7 truck but cannot say ourselves because we have never driven a Class 7 truck over a meaningful distance.

What kind of truck are you in that is giving you a rough ride? What is its axle configuration?

If you think you need front shocks, it would be a good idea to check that out, if not for your sake, for the tires and suspension.

fketchum

Seasoned Expediter
We are in a 2004 freightliner with 260 mbe and a 6 speed trans, 22 ft box, 84 in aerobunk sleeper. She has a single drive axel. I notice a little seepage on the shocks. Nothing major but enough to collect dust. I also notice when driving and when I hit a bump the wheel seems to hop. So I think I will have them checked per your advice. Thanks for the feedback

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
We are in a 2004 freightliner with 260 mbe and a 6 speed trans, 22 ft box, 84 in aerobunk sleeper. She has a single drive axel. I notice a little seepage on the shocks. Nothing major but enough to collect dust. I also notice when driving and when I hit a bump the wheel seems to hop. So I think I will have them checked per your advice. Thanks for the feedback

Sally probably doesn't have a air ride cab. Most class 7 trucks don't. The box is on air bags though. Most class 8 trucks are equipped with air ride cabs giving you a smoother ride.

If the tires are "hopping" it would be a good idea to have the shocks checked. Holding the tires on the ground is their main function. If they are real bad, your steer tires will start to cup.

Godwindaniel

Seasoned Expediter
Replacing shocks on a pickup or SUV is easy. A bolt on bottom and top are all that keep them in place. But replacing struts is another story; they normally require a trip to the repair shop or dealer where special tools and trained mechanics handle what becomes an expensive half-day task.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
2004 freightliner what?

What kind of bounce is it, a hard bounce like dropping the truck or a bouncy ball bounce where it tapers out?

If it is a hard bounce, then ...

Do you have air ride suspension?

If so see what the height is. See if you can lower it and raise it to see if is it collapsed or have one bag deflated, then you will bounce all over the place violently.

IF you have springs in the back, well that's one reason.

fketchum

Seasoned Expediter
So I got a look at it today and the sleeper is bolted directly to the frame and the cab has a small shock located in the middle rear of the cab. Our sleeper is the no sleep sleeper
We have leafs on the read axel. We are going to work on getting the shocks replaced and go from there but I think we are just going to live with it untill my 6 months is done

Deville

Not a Member
Chnage the shocks. My truck has air ride & rode so nice. When it started getting rough I changed the shocks & the ride was back to smooth.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
You can buy an after market airbag kit for the cab and sleeper. Under 1k and not hard to put on. Pays for itself in quality sleep time.:cool: