Truck Refrigerators

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm considering getting a refrigerator for my van. Should I go with a 12 volt/110 volt with automatic switch over? Or would a cheap Walmart type 110 refrigerator using an inverter be adequate? Built in or stand alone doesn't matter, I can build a cabinet if necessary. Any good brands that I should be aware of? Thanks for your feedback on this.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I've always preferred the cheap fridge over the expensive models, with 2 caveats: a proper separate freezer, and enough inverter & battery power to run it without draining the batteries. For $600, I could replace mine 5 times, if need be, but after a year, it's still running fine.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
I've always preferred the cheap fridge over the expensive models, with 2 caveats: a proper separate freezer, and enough inverter & battery power to run it without draining the batteries. For $600, I could replace mine 5 times, if need be, but after a year, it's still running fine.

Not an option for me at this time. I am driving someone else's truck, with limited space .

Also believe the Whynter unit was a couple of hundred dollars cheaper , the first time I looked, price seems to increased.

jimmy

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you scroll to the bottom of the page smaller models are a good amount cheaper.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I went the 12 volt engel route, because direct to 12 volts without an inverter is lighter and requires less power. At the setting I use, it consumes about 1 amp for one minute every six minutes.

eb

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have an Engel MD-14 refrigerator/freezer mounted next to the driver's seat. I added a top "extender", a piece of particle board covered with a piece of a cheap yoga mat. This gives me a larger, non-skid surface table top. I have the unit plugged into a switched, 12 volt outlet. This enables me to turn it off and on as needed. The Engel is insulated well enough that the contents will stay cold, even in 90° temps without running for more than 12 hours. It will also keep things from freezing in below zero temps without running.

Engel refrigerator/freezers aren't the cheapest but I'm very satisfied with mine after almost 3 years of use. Thanks ebsprintin for providing info that helped me make my decision to choose an Engel!
Van%201%20-%20Copy_zpsk892iyqe.jpg

Engel%202_zpstubu2omy.jpg

The MD-14F needs 3½ to 4 inches of clearance on all sides for ventilation. I mounted mine on a platform about 1 inch off the floor. This platform is open in the middle to allow for extra air flow and to keep the Engel above any snow melt and various floor junk.
Engel%201_zpsykvx4gzu.jpg

The Engel MD-14 doesn't hold a lot. I would have gone to a larger size but I wanted it to fit next to the driver's seat and have more than adequate ventilation.